Introduction of newbie

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Introduction of newbie

Post by cmurray »

Hi all, my name is Craig and a midlife crisis is begging me to start riding again. I attended the AGM in December and was really impressed with the mood of the club and what you all stand for, as well as the friendliness of the group. My history is mainly road biking from way back when but have dabbled in some off road and have decided that this is right for me now (to many crazy cars on the road ). So busy doing all the homework and research, what gear I need, what bike to buy etc. I visited the bike show on Saturday and was chatting to a member at your stand about what to buy, as I had been thinking of a Honda CRF 230 to start off with. He mentioned that the KTM 200 would also be a good option with room to grow, what I am wondering is, are there any decent used ones out there? Other questions are about riding gear, is there much available at the swap meet? Any advice for this newbie would be much appreciated.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Introduction of newbie

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Hi Craig,

Welcome! :cheers:

I know there is at least one KTM 200 for sale in our classified section...
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Likely there will be gear at the swapmeet. Sites like Kijiji also turn up some bargains from time to time... :thumbsup:

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

If you don't find what you need at the swap meet, you can also post on the forums what you need. There might be someone that has extra gear that they are willing to part with. :thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

First thing, welcome! Second thing, asking about bikes is so personal, you're going to get tons of info to process. I'll give you my opinion, 'cause hey, I know better than the next guy right? :cheers:

While Japanese bikes are reliable, they are primarily designed for MX. This doesn't mean they can't work in the woods, but they're going to cost you a fair chunk of change to get them in the same condition a European bike. Now, there's the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke question. I've been on both and if you're riding in the woods, and want to weave through the trees, you want to shed as much weight as you can.

Come to the swap meet there will be gear there. See you on the trails!
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cmurray »

Thanks guys for all the replies, yes I know that there will be conflicting advice out there and it will be up to me to process and make the final decision. Luckily I am not in any hurry so have time to look around, absorb what I can and then make my choice. I will be at the Swap Meet for sure to start checking out some gear.

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cmurray »

So in doing my homework and getting insurance estimates, I am told that I have to do a motorcycle training program in order to get insurance. I was surprised that this would apply to off road riding, anyway I'm happy to do it. Does this apply to all insurance companies and if so, any recommended places to do the course in Calgary?

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

I can't help you with your insurance question but I can tell you that Too Cool Motorcycle School has the best training program in Calgary, if not the province. :thumbsup:

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

State Farm in Millrise gives excellent rates with or without bikes license. I am with TD Meloche Monnex for everything except my bike as they were trying to charge me 240/yr. State Farm came back w 108/yr.
Bikeless....

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cmurray »

Actually I'm with TD too, so I will try State Farm. I assume the amount you state is comprehensive? I am not keen on spending money on a road bike course either really.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

cmurray wrote:I am not keen on spending money on a road bike course either really.
You could just take your class 6 w/o the course.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Almost there

Post by cmurray »

Thanks to all for the advice, I found that State Farm, as advised above, will ensure a bike with no class 6 license so that problem is solved.
As far as a bike goes, much to the chagrin of all you orange fans out there I'm sure, I have decided to start with a 230 CRF. Once I get the hang of things I can always upgrade and pass it on to one of my kids. I was also lucky to purchase a helmet and some other gear from "Trailguy", so now its just boots and a few other protective items that I will hopefully find at the swap meet. And of course a hitch rack so I can pick my bike. I am one happy camper right now, cant wait for May! :D

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

congrats on the new ride. :thumbsup: