If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

Hi, I just joined at the Motorcycle Show. I was introduced to the RMDRA by Howard (thirtyseven) over the holidays and couldn't resist. I caught the off-road bug from Rich Oliver's Mystery School, to which I've been twice now. I have an '08 BMW F650GS and am shopping for a 200-250 as a introductory bike to single track. At the moment, I'm thinking of a Yamaha TT-R230 (I'm 5'7" and want to flat-foot my first bike). Can't wait for the Swap Meet and Guided Rides come spring!

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Member

Post by giantjoe »

Welcome to the party! Avoid Howard at all costs, he's up to no good! Don't discount other brands because they're too tall. You can easily buy lowering links, and get a bike as low as 2" less for a couple hundred bucks. Look for a good deal, and use your savings to customize that beast to work well for you!
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

Welcome aboard. :applause:

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

Thanks! At the bike show, I sat on the Hondas, Huskies, and Kawis and I liked the fit of the Yamaha TT-R230 the best for me. Might be because I've spent some time on the TT-R125, which I felt was too small for me but might have made the 230 feel familiar and comfortable. I fell a little in love with Allison's 2013 KTM 200XCW at the show but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money just yet. I'd like to get some skills practice in on a less expensive bike and then maybe graduate to the KTM.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Tina08 do not believe anything the mbers on this forum say about me. You guys are going to have the best summer of your lives in 13!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

thirtyseven wrote:Tina08 do not believe anything the mbers on this forum say about me. You guys are going to have the best summer of your lives in 13!
Howard is a nice guy.

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

At least I know that the RMDRA is good for a laugh. :)

And Howard, I do believe you're right about this summer.

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

I was wondering if someone could help answer a question: What additional equipment does a stock bike need to ride on the single track nearby? RJHenry was saying at the Bike Show that you need a headlight and tail light. Is there anything that is required? Any other smart/safe accessories to have other than handguards and a skid plate? Thanks.

kawasakijockey
Writer
Writer

Post by kawasakijockey »

welcome...

headlight,taillight,registration,insurance,spark arrestor

then grab $1000 from the bank and hit ur nearest cycle shop and blow it.

as an opinion and just an opinion do not buy the ttr-230 its a steaming pile...had 3 friends all buy that same bike and trust me its a POS.

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

Thanks kawasakijockey! I'm sure I'll have no problem blowing (at least) $1K at the bike shop. :lol:

What makes the TTR a POS? Does it break down a lot? Costly to repair? Not well-suited for Alberta single track?

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I think k-jockey is likely referring to the weight and modest performance. It's as heavy as a 450 enduro bike. It will however feel pretty light compared to your BMW.

It's probably fine as a first dirt bike, just expect to be ready to move on to something else before long. The good news is if you buy a clean used bike, you can probably sell it after the first season for almost what you paid for it. I would recommend not spending a lot on the bike, because you probably won't keep it too long. All of those accessories and modifications that cost a lot don't really make your used bike worth any more when you try to sell it. Get some hand guards and then spend your money on riding gear instead.

A KDX 200 might be right up your alley too, not available new anymore, but lightly used ones are not too hard to find. This would offer more performance than the TTR (power, brakes, suspension) while still being pretty mild and not intimatiding for a beginner off-roader.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

cedric wrote: A KDX 200 might be right up your alley too, not available new anymore, but lightly used ones are not too hard to find. This would offer more performance than the TTR (power, brakes, suspension) while still being pretty mild and not intimatiding for a beginner off-roader.

very good recommendation here!

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

The advantages of a TT-R230 for me would be price and electric start. It weighs ~250 lb which is comparable to the KDX 200. The better performance in the KDX is definitely a plus, though. Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Bush Guards are a must :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Don't know if anyone pointed this out for you but Dobi's wife's bike seems like a match made in heaven. It doesn't have electric start but it has everything else you could possibly want. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9331

Cheers,
Aaron