If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
tina08
User
User

Re: New Member

Post by tina08 »

Bark, you read my mind. ;)

Bruce
Writer
Writer

Post by Bruce »

Tina08. I think some of the considerations are: The TTR230, CRF 230, KDX 225 (and the like) are recycled 80's technology. They're all pretty heavy and slow and as such present real problems on single track. Those bikes would be great for family leisure on truck trails, logging roads, rolling hills etc. not for our type of riding. IMHO
A light bike with good power makes an easier ride and leaves the rider less fatigued. That means more fun, better learning curve and most importantly less injuries. The newer KTM 200's are incredible bikes and will give you the best chance on single track rides. You might also consider one of the smaller KTM bikes too (based on fit).
'09 Husaberg FE 570
'10 Ducati Multistrada S

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Stick with the Yamaha family and grab a YZ125 :D
CR250R

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Go big. I'll sell you my 300xc for a smoking deal. It is set up for my 230lb carcass so you may need some rocks in your camelback, but don't worry. It has the power to pull it.

Welcome to the club. Get the bike that is comfortable to sit on, that you can pick up off the ground, and that matches your level of riding. If you plan on riding fire roads and parking lots then a TTR or KLX is a great bike. If you want to venture onto singletrack, climb some hills, get over some logs and through some ruts than get a full size bike.

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

Thanks for the advice, Bruce. That's incredibly helpful information. Less fatigue and fewer injuries are very important concerns of mine (bad back issues).

Primerib72, a 39" seat height is a little out of my leg range. :)

Dobi, I did kinda like learning to pull wheelies this fall... Also, great advice re picking up off the ground.

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cberg77 »

Depending on your height, a KTM 105 may be worth a look.
Has good suspension and I think around a 35" seat and around 150# dry. My wife rides a Honda CRF 230 (same as a TTR 230 but red), about 34" seat height and 240# dry and I am leaning towards something like that for her to start riding single track.

hilux94
Writer
Writer

Post by hilux94 »

Please don't buy a ttr125 nor a yz125 or a 105......

Honestly, a 150 KTM or 200 KTM is a way better 'investment' at this point... Ya they might be more money at first but something you can learn on and get better with is a better choice IMHO
2012 250XC

"If you can't be good, be good at it"

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

Thanks Cberg77 and hilux94. Your advice is very much appreciated. Decisions, decisions...

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i bought my wife a clean little used ttr 230. She had never ridden anything ever.
She learned to ride it and decided she had zero interest in riding.
We sold it for what i bought it for.
A good learner bike for sure but i could not IMAGINE doing any singletrack on it. 4x4 and quad trails for sure.

Now, we were camping one weekend and we only had her bike with us. Well, i decided to make a loop around our backcountry spot. i would say the loop was about 500 meters :lol: i admit i had a lot of fun until i tried jumping off the woodpile and crashed :D

In summary, if you really want to do singletrack do not buy the TTR or any equivalent.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

I have my bike for trail riding this season: I bought a 2006 Yamaha XT225.

As a bit of back story, I did go to see Dobi's KTM 200XC but the day after kickstarting it (twice), my back was really sore so that precluded my buying a bike without an electric start. I know I could buy a lowered 2013 KTM 200 with the estart but I don't have the funds to drop $8000 on a bike right now. Maybe in a few years, that's what I'll end up doing. :)

After much research looking for a bike with no higher than 34" saddle height, estart, weighs under 250 lb, with a ground clearance of at least 11", and costs no more than $4000, I discovered the XT225. There was one in Calgary for sale with very low km and I ended up buying it.

I'm very happy with my dual sport purchase and am looking forward to exploring the easier trails this season on the group rides. We'll see what my back and my little bike can handle as the season progresses. Thanks everybody for your advice, can't wait to see you on the trails. :)

Mbot
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Mbot »

Hey Tina welcome! Probably see you out on the ladies rides this summer. Have you considered the WR250? It's a step up from the beginer TTR-230 and you won't ever need more power, I loved mine and could touch the ground at 5'8". I had bought mine new had it for over 4 years and it never cost me any money, It comes with headlight, tail light, and electric start. Its a great bike to consider for longterm cause you will quickly grow out of the TTR. Its worth maybe looking for a used one on kijiji if you dont want to by new.

cheers Melissa

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Hey Mel, you missed the part where she said she bought a TTR :excuse:
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

tina08
User
User

Post by tina08 »

Well, it's not the TTR, it's the XT. I was looking into buying the TTR until I called Alberta Transportation to see what you have to do to legally register an off-road motorbike to be on-road and I was told that it is not legal in Alberta. The guy said, "I know people do it and some registries don't check and register dual sport kitted bikes, but it is still not legal." My spouse rides a Honda CRF230L so a lightweight dual sport was the best option for now.

Mbot
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Mbot »

ya sorry guys haha I'm a little slow! Congrats on the XT Tina, see you out there. Keep the WR in mind for the future :)

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Oops! So much for trying to make Mel feel silly. :blush:
----------------->just some guy<-----------------