another new guy looking for a ride

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

another new guy looking for a ride

Post by anotheroldtrailrider »

Hi - I've been expecting to get to Calgary since last spring, but just made it a couple weeks ago. I've been riding literally all my life and when I moved here from Oklahoma, I brought a 500XC-W with me. Next spring I'll fly home and ride a street bike back so I'll have a pavement toy, too, but I was hoping I might get in a weekend or three off road before it got too severe - I'm spoiled, winter is our prime riding season. (It's too hot in the summer most of the time.)

Anyway - if anyone out there is willing to show a new guy around a few trails (if they're still open, that is) - I can haul one or two other riders and am willing to drive.

Art Astle (anotheroldtrailrider)
artastle@earthlink.net

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: another new guy looking for a ride

Post by dirtyboy »

Hi trail rider,

Around here the winter riding requires studded tires so that the ice is not so severe. Are you using straight rubber tires or are you considering some studded tire options?

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Hey Dirtboy - at the moment I've got standard rubber on, but am certainly willing to run studs. We used to have a studded tire class at our winter hare scrambles series (when I was still a young'un). I'm sort of still getting settled in, but plan to get a set of 'borgs or similar - I didn't have enough room in my trailer for spare wheels when we drove up from Oklahoma, but swapping tires back and forth is no big deal . I change rubber depending on where we're headed sometimes, anyway - it's relentlesslly rocky on the eastern edge of the Ozark mountains near home, but further west it's soft and sandy.

Anyway - like I said in my first post, I'm willing to go at the drop of a hat, and can haul one or two other guys. A little background might be in order - I'm an old guy, but still like to push hard. I'm definitely into that phase where the older I get, the faster I was, but I've been a successful A and AA rider in a number of classes (a long time ago). I've been involved with bikes literally all my life - a couple uncles were BMW and Triumph dealers when I was a kid, and I started on a Truimph Cub in the late 50's. I was a Suzuki / Can Am / Vespa dealer in the 70's, but returned to easier construction engineering money and sold the shop, have and restore a nice collection of vintage road racers, several new'ish street bikes, a heavily hot rodded KTM 525 permanently converted to street, the new 500XC-W, and do 100% of my own work. My hobby is building cafe racers from scratch - I have a very nice shop with tons of equipment, too bad it won't fit in the trailer, so on the road I'm limited to a decent set of tools in half the garage (for some reason, my wife refuses to give up her half).

Let's go ride.
Thanks, Art

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Well it's looking like any where within 2 hours of Calgary will require studs for now. Winter storm warning just posted. :thumbsdown: I'm waiting for some studs to show up myself for the real deep snow but am using some "short" studs for now. I'd be happy to show you at least one place where many folks will be riding this winter once you get some studs too. :thumbsup:

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Thanks a heap - one of the best parts of my job is I get to see and ride tons of new places - I can't wait.

Art

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

anotheroldtrailrider wrote:Thanks a heap - one of the best parts of my job is I get to see and ride tons of new places - I can't wait.

Art
Glad you found the forum Art. I responded to your post on KTMtalk (banffboy) :thumbsup:

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

Steve and I really enjoyed meeting you the other day at the shop! Welcome to the forum!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

welcome aboard Art. Here is a video of some fellow gray hairs that I shot last spring in BC as proof you don't have to ever grow up

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Dobi wrote:welcome aboard Art. Here is a video of some fellow gray hairs that I shot last spring in BC as proof you don't have to ever grow up
that looked like fun Dobi, but why where you going so slow? Was the jetting on your bike off or something?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

steve-o wrote:
Dobi wrote:welcome aboard Art. Here is a video of some fellow gray hairs that I shot last spring in BC as proof you don't have to ever grow up
that looked like fun Dobi, but why where you going so slow? Was the jetting on your bike off or something?
I had to follow the old dudes. I didn't know where we were going... :cheers:

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

after watching that vid... I think I need to sit down more ...... I'd probably be faster.
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Hook em Horns, thats all i got :headbang:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Man oh man - thanks everyone for the welcome to a great new area. At the moment, I'm watching my Great Dane go berzerk in the snow - running in huge circles with his nose on the ground plowing a big furrow. (Then he promtly charges back in the house covered with the stuff.)

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Hi Guys - hopefully I'll have some studded tires by next weekend. I'd like to get in a ride or two before I go to Idaho on vacation the week between Christmas and New Years to ride desert stuff just west of Boise. Winter's the premiere season for a couple million acres of high desert that's laced with trails and parking/restroom/loading ramps every 10 miles along the highway, starting about 20 mintes from Boise. I'm in serious withdrawal pains.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Welcome to Calgary and the club! see you out there