Trail Maintenance

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Nashole
User
User

Trail Maintenance

Post by Nashole »

Hello,

Allow me to introduce myself.

my name is Dave Nash, and I've just become a paying member of the club, and have just registered with the forum. ALSO, now looking to change my user name, lol, but thats besides the point.

I would love to be a Trail Maintenance Captain.

I met Cal Everitt through this forum early this year, I was looking for maps of Fallen Timber on google, and found Cal's phone number from a post requesting volunteers for a trail clearing day in 2009 so I called him up. I told him to put me on the call list for the next trail work day, and that's how I wound up helping you guys make new trail for Dirty Moose I think it was. It was on Sunday Aug 12 that I was helping out. I had tons of fun working with some of you guys, and have been in contact with Cal since.

Some may remember me from that day, I had a 2003 YZ250F motocross and I was talking about getting a 300xcw. I also drank all 3 Litres of my water and had to mooch some.

I got a 300xcw about a week later, and I've picked up a saw carrier, and I'm energized.

In a month I've been out on 6 bushwacking days, clearing cut lines, and old trails.

I want someone to learn from, so that I can do this stuff correctly, and legally, and I don't want to be chainsawing alone in the bush so often. I need into this club, and I'm serious about working hard.

I have lots and lots of free time because I own a 2 crew roofing business and I just have to keep em busy. other than that I'm riding.

Train me up, and I'll be a great Trail Maintenance Captian. I intend to work on trails right into the winter until there's too much snow.

I'll be at FT tomorrow morning (Thanks Giving Sunday) while all you guys are having a blast at Koocanusa.

thanks,
Dave
Last edited by Nashole on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Trail Maintenance

Post by cycleworks »

Where did you come from?!!! This is great, welcome, we are happy to have you! Im sure the guys will put you to work!!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Trail Maintenance

Post by Dobi »

Hey Dave, I was leading the group into the woods the day that you first came on scene. you have lots of questions.

We have data share agreements with ESRD so we have Lidar, Wet Areas Mapping, and the harvest plans for the entire ghost and mclean areas. We use these very effectively for planning tools before ever hitting the landscape.

some great resources for trail building are:
www.nohvcc.com
http://www.imba.com/trail-solutions/?gc ... cAods0IAIQ

I have a bunch of the NOVACC books and would send you one, if you PM me your address. I have a number of other trail publications that I am willing to loan out as well.

The fact is to legally build a trail in the ghost, you need to have approval from the Ghost stewardship monitoring group, as well as approval from ESRD. Cal is a great resource to discuss this in detail with. He also sits on the inventory group for the gsmg. We are in the draft stages right now of applying for trail approvals, with a hope that we will be able to get on the ground next spring to do some inventorying and scouting, which will then lead to a full trail build. I would like to learn more about the singletrack trail system up on the North end of the Ghost. it looks to hold so much potential, but I have never explored there before.

Cheers,
Mike