Newbie with Q's

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
jasper909
User
User

Newbie with Q's

Post by jasper909 »

Greetings All!

I am BRAND NEW to the forum (found it this morning) and I have been looking to get into dirt biking hopefully soon! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations to what bike I should be looking at as a first bike.
I am a starving college student so money is an issue, and I will probably not be buying a bike till the summer when I start full time work anyway, so I need something on the cheaper side, with minimal maintenance required. I am looking for around the 250cc range, with no preference to a 2 or 4 stroke engine (as far as I know).\

I am more interested then trails and back country than racing as well.

I have taken motorcycle school as I was planning on getting into street biking but I figure that it would be too far out of my price range, and I do a lot of petal mountain biking so I am used to being on 2 wheels.

Also I'm looking for some trails around Calgary, and anyone who wants to come riding!

well let me know what y'all think! :D

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Newbie with Q's

Post by cedric »

Buy yourself a 1995+ KDX200. Should be able to find a clean one for around $1500 with some careful shopping. Perfect first trail bike.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Welcome Jasper! You've come to the right place! Lots of great resources around here.

My limited experience points to a good used 2 stroke (what I started with). Low maintenance is one of the great advantages of the two stroke!

You should check our guided rides program! With membership you get to attend these terrific Wednesday night dirt bike sessions. Beginners rave about this experience, me included. Great opportunity to try out your skills and develop lots of new ones with like minded and skilled individuals led by a knowledge trail guide and followed by an equally knowledgeable sweeper. Lots of details available here http://rockymountaindirtriders.com/inde ... ed%20Rides and here as well
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6953

If you have any questions, please feel free to put them out there!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Welcome! If MTB is your thing, then our club has what you're looking for. I jut got into riding a couple years ago with a dual sport bike. I found that street riding was just too boring, no corners, no real speed and everyone wants to kill you. I'm selling my dual sport bike now as I've bought a woods specific machine, and absolutely love it!

You're on the right track, that is, buying a cheap used first bike. You're going to want something different in a few years anyways, so why put up the big money initially? A bigger 2 stroke is kind of the best of both worlds. Small 2 strokes are nice to ride since they're so light, but you generally have to have the motor screaming to get decent power out of them. 4 strokes generally are heavy, but you can chug them along at low RPMs and "tractor" up hills at a slow pace. That tractor ability comes at a cost though, weight!

A big 2 stroke, 250-300cc, is generally light enough to toss around, has easier maintenance than it's 4 stroke equivalent, and can be ridden at a low RPM range without much fear of stalling. This is why you see tons of them out on the trails, and really there are only a few out on the market, which is why you see TONS of KTMs. They hold their resale well, and are very desirable. If you can get your hands on one for a good buck, then you'll be lucky.

Here's a list of two strokes that would be decent woods bikes. In no particular order.

Yamaha YZ250 (tried and true, needs some mods to make woods worthy)
KTM XC/XC-W 200, 250, or 300 (not SX models)
GasGas EC250, 300 (can be found cheap, and are great bikes)
Husqvarna WR250, 300 (can be found cheap, mixed reviews)
Husaberg TE250,300 (very new, as expensive as KTMs)

Hey look I did it again...
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

cedric wrote:Buy yourself a 1995+ KDX200. Should be able to find a clean one for around $1500 with some careful shopping. Perfect first trail bike.
Cedric is seldom right :smirk: , but he nailed it here! My neighbor might even have one avaialable. I think it's a 94' ish and it's mint for likely around 1900 (but I can't guarantee the price one way or another. PM me if interested.

jasper909
User
User

Post by jasper909 »

Thank You everybody for the great advice!

I am actually not going to go into the buying phase until around the May/ June area when i can get some good full time money in place!

Another question though, I have 2 Street Motorcycle helmets, are they the same as dirt biking helmets or should i consider re-investing in some new headgear?

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Attached windscreen visors and off roading do not mix. Your helmet should have a chin guard, and a place to nestle goggles. Fogging is a problem people have all year long, an attached visor would be a nightmare.

Here's a typical offroad helmet:

----------------->just some guy<-----------------