New-ish to dirt

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
PaulS
User
User

New-ish to dirt

Post by PaulS »

Hi everyone,

Great forum! I'm a recent convert from sportbikes to dirt and look forward to taking in some of the guided rides and Wednesday night outings with everyone. (Soon to be a paid up member)

A question I have with respect to recommended equipment. I have boots, helmet/goggles, pants, under armour and knee/elbow pads for motocross riding, are all of these items recommended? What about a roost guard? Any items I'm missing and would need?

Can't wait for the dirt season to begin :smirk:

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New-ish to dirt

Post by 350scott »

PaulS wrote:Hi everyone,

Great forum! I'm a recent convert from sportbikes to dirt and look forward to taking in some of the guided rides and Wednesday night outings with everyone. (Soon to be a paid up member)

A question I have with respect to recommended equipment. I have boots, helmet/goggles, pants, under armour and knee/elbow pads for motocross riding, are all of these items recommended? What about a roost guard? Any items I'm missing and would need?

Can't wait for the dirt season to begin :smirk:
Welcome Paul.

As a former sportbike to dirt convert I can say you've made a great choice. No need for track days ($$), go as fast as you can with only minor risk of serious injury and expensive bike damage. Couple this with a way more physical workout, better comaraderie and no chance of losing your license= :) . Crash a sportbike and if your lucky limp to the ATM with your buddies worried about your future, crash a dirt bike and pick up your bike and go again with your buddies laughing at your lack of skill.

You definitely need a roost guard/chest protector, not for roost but for branches and sticks. You also need some type of drink system, gloves and lots of guys use neck braces.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

350scott wrote: You definitely need a roost guard/chest protector, not for roost but for branches and sticks. You also need some type of drink system, gloves and lots of guys use neck braces.
+1 on the chest protector! I was speared by a branch last season, it took me right off the bike.... Luckily I was wearing a chest protector. Ouch. Apparently is was spectacular to watch though. :lol:
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Welcome. :canada:

Our Guided Ride director has a great FAQ made up. Now that you have signed up for a forum account you will be able to see it. :applause: Link below:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6953

Check it out, it has lot's of answers to questions that people ask. :thumbsup:

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

:eek:
Pungee.jpg

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Welcome! What are you riding? Come out to the swap meet tonight and pick up some of the things that you may be short of. You can get a membership too!
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

PaulS
User
User

Post by PaulS »

Thanks everyone!

Sorry I missed the meeting tonight, but I hope to get out and meet you all next month.

I'm on a 05 CRF250r, all ready to go.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

PaulS wrote:Thanks everyone!

Sorry I missed the meeting tonight, but I hope to get out and meet you all next month.

I'm on a 05 CRF250r, all ready to go.
Awesome bike to start single track riding! :thumbsup: See you at the guided rides in the spring
#Z3B

PaulS
User
User

Post by PaulS »

axel99 wrote:
Awesome bike to start single track riding! :thumbsup: See you at the guided rides in the spring
Absolutely !