First Season of Riding ... Thanks for all the help!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Hunter2727
User
User

First Season of Riding ... Thanks for all the help!

Post by Hunter2727 »

Hi Guys,

I am an returning rider. I have 3 kids and we are finally (sort of) in a position to start to re-invest some of our money back into other things (rather than just paying bills and kids activities).

I have purchased a '12 300 XC. I have been researching for the last couple of years and that is the bike that I settled on. I was originally going to buy used, but the guys want so much for them, I decided that I would just get a new one.

I plan to ride the guided rides because I don't know where I am going. So I am excited about that. The events like the dirty moose look like a lot of fun.

I am looking for some advice on a few things.

1. I have started putting together my tool box. I have downloaded some articles and stuff, but if anyone has some pictures or lists of what they carry around that would be great. If this has already been covered in a thread, pointing me to the thread would be appreciated. I will be buying as many tools from the Canadian Tire Maximum line as possible. I have ruled out Mac and Snap On. I have some mechanic buddies that have confirmed that the Canadian Tire "best" line is more than adequate for me and Canadian Tire is close to me, so returning any defective tools is easy (which is important to me). Also, if I can't buy the recommended tool at Canadian Tire, could you point me in the direction of where I could buy it.
2. More importantly, what accessories would you guys put on a '12 300 xc. After years of tricking things out, I am a much more minimalist now. I really like stuff that is of highest quality, all about function and as simple as possible. And absolutely necessary. Any information that you guys can provide to get me ready for the upcoming season would be great.
3. I also would like to order numbers and I am wondering if there are any rules on numbers and color. When I used to ride, pro's had a certain color and novice riders had another. Obviously, I would want to order the color and type that says "Just here for a good time".
4. Lastly, when does riding start and what is the first event that most guys ride in.

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to read and reply.

Cheers,

Keith
Last edited by Hunter2727 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

DaveSimmons
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Rider

Post by DaveSimmons »

Morning Keith,

Welcome to the mad house :applause: I think the guided rides start at the beginning of May, but I think that depends on the conditions, last year was my first year and everyone said that they had started later due to the long winter.

As for your tool selection, well I'm not really much of a mechanic, and so I make do with a bag full of rusty spanners and a few chicken bones for good luck :D But I'm sure some one will be along to tell you what to blow all your hard earned on shortly.

Dave

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Hunter2727 wrote:
1. I have started putting together my tool box. I have downloaded some articles and stuff, but if anyone has some pictures or lists of what they carry around that would be great. If this has already been covered in a thread, pointing me to the thread would be appreciated. I will be buying as many tools from the Canadian Tire Maximum line as possible. I have ruled out Mac and Snap On. I have some mechanic buddies that have confirmed that the Canadian Tire "best" line is more than adequate for me and Canadian Tire is close to me, so returning any defective tools is easy (which is important to me). Also, if I can't buy the recommended tool at Canadian Tire, could you point me in the direction of where I could buy it.

2. More importantly, what accessories would you guys put on a '12 300 xc. After years of tricking things out, I am a much more minimalist now. I really like stuff that is of highest quality, all about function and as simple as possible. And absolutely necessary. Any information that you guys can provide to get me ready for the upcoming season would be great.

3. I also would like to order numbers and I am wondering if there are any rules on numbers and color. When I used to ride, pro's had a certain color and novice riders had another. Obviously, I would want to order the color and type that says "Just here for a good time".
Hi Keith,

Nice bike!

1. For the garage you likely have everything you need except for, maybe, a 3/8 drive torque wrench, that goes to low values like 12 NM etc... Torques on these newer bikes is so much more important than torques on say a 77' RM 250. Especially for the triple clamps and forks etc....

For the trail in my camel back I carry the ktm tool kit that came with your bike with a few zip ties, and some wire, a power bar, insurance and registration. It comes in handy to ride with others who want to tote around flat repair kits and tires bars etc... :D

2. You'll likely get lots of opinions here, but I would say you need at a minimum: Bark Busters (I like EE, Cycra has that stupid bend in it which allows you pinky fingers to get jabbed and bashed, plus EE has larger plasitc shields), A skid plate (I like Scorpion racing . ca), and rad guards (Scorpion rad frames, or if you realy want to buck up get Bullet proof designs (around $200)), with your model of bike having linkage you may want to look the scorpion racing link skid as well. I might get Bullet proof designs rad guards myself, and if so would be selling a set of scorpion rad frames for you bike which are as new for a good deal. Pm me if interested.

3. Numbers for racing: depends on the class, age and abitlity. how old are you? If you are in your 30's get white numbers on a green background, if you are in you 40's get black numbers on a white back ground. If you are younger than either of those options there are other choices. as for the just for fun class you would likely end up puttin ghte ltter designation of B on the number plate as well. If your skills progress where you want a bigger challenge you could then peel off the B and put an A on the plate.

First cmrc race is in May, mothers day, in Pincher Creek, you can ride all year round if you like with studded tires.

Good luck with that bike, they sure do look nice!

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Welcome Keith.

The guided rides are a great way to get back into things and start in May. We usually start with a day at Wild Rose then move to McLean as soon as we can. Also, watch the forum as people are often posting rides, or post for your own ride.

Tools-You don't really need many and if you have a metric socket set + wrenches, assortment of screw drivers and the little tool kit that came with the bike, you're pretty much set. A few things I would suggest are couple or a torque wrench, three good tire spoons, a chain breaker, a bolt kit and an assortment of carb jets. Not really required (good idea), but I safety wire stuff and suggest some safety wire pliers. Cheap from Princess Auto. If you plan to do basic suspension service yourself, I'd also suggest a seal driver. Now if you really like to spend money, I can make a long list of the tools you can get to lend to everyone else.

As for numbers, that depends. How old are you and what class to you plan to race. All the rules for the ADRA/CMRC races are on the ADRA site, but assuming you are over 30 (three kids=probably), then it's white numbers on green for 30+ classes and black numbers on white for 40+ classes (guess how old most of the people who make the rules are).
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Hi Keith, welcome.

You'll find a lot of great advise here about bike setup and repairs.

As for tools, some of the best ones are sold in packs of 12 and 24 :cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Welcome to the club! BAM! That's what you need to know for where to ride. Check the FAQ for info about how to set up your bike. See you on the trails.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

Thanks to everyone who responded.

So here is what I have so far....

Tool Box Contents

1. A 3/8 drive torque wrench that goes to low values (like 12 NM
2. Metric sockets
3. Metric wrenches
4. Assorted screw drivers
5. Chain Breaker
6. Bolt kit
7. Carb jets (assortment)
8. Safety wire and safety pliers.
9. Seal driver

Camel Pack Contents
1. Nutrition (e.g. Power bar)
2. Insurance & registration
3. A few zip ties
4. Flat repair kit
5. Tire bars (3)
6. KTM tool kit that comes with bike

Bike Add-Ons
1. Bark Busters (EE)
2. Skid Plate (scorpion)
3. Rad Guards (bullet proof designs)

I am 37, so I will be in the 30B class (white numbers, green background).

I have a couple more questions.

1. What is safety wire? Safety pliers?
2. Where is the best place to buy T-bar wrenches? What brand?
3. What is the best camel pack to get?
4. Any other bike addons that I should consider?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

I forgot to ask where you guys buy your graphics kits for the numbering.

Thanks.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Have a look at this thread, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4124

Don't worry too much about what to carry, maintain your bike and you won't need much. Just make sure you have lots of water and snacks to recharge with. Once you get out there a few times you'll start to add and remove stuff from your kit.
The voices are back. Awesome!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Hi Keith,
Hunter2727 wrote: 5. Chain Breaker
Consider a chain rivet tool to allow the use of rivet links in place of the clip link and it will break a chain also.
Hunter2727 wrote:4. Flat repair kit
5. Tire bars (3)
Consider carrying an air pump or CO2 cartridge setup. Air pump is easiest and what I carry.

Also a spoke wrench is needed as new spokes will need attention before the first ride and after the first few rides. Some use a spoke torque wrench. :D
Hunter2727 wrote:Bike Add-Ons
1. Bark Busters (EE)
2. Skid Plate (scorpion)
3. Rad Guards (bullet proof designs)
1. Bark Busters from Cycra have larger shields but the KTM branded Cycra kit includes the low profile shields. The Cycra with the bend on the side is so that your hand can be removed from the bars easy when you accidentally exit the motorcycle. Some people have reported that the regular bark buster bar can force your arm to get stuck between bar and buster and break your arm. I used Cycra for years and have switched to EE lately mostly because I won a couple sets from racing. The EE shields are smaller than the Cycra regular sized shields.

2. I use a Hyde Skid Plate / Pipe guard combination. If you have shorter legs like I do, I tip over a lot and the Hyde Pipe guard protects better than a Carbon Fibre guard.
3. BPD are the best !

Other bike add-ons that some use around here are:

4. Scotts stabilizer
5. BRP or TY Design chain guard
6. pipe guard if not getting the Hyde
7. Rear brake protector (shark fin)
8. Higher or lower seat
9. Footpegs like Fastway
10. FMF Fatty or Gnarly pipe to replace the super thin stock pipe
11. Headlight (stock parts are good) required by law in Alberta
12. Taillight (LED unit called Phantom is small and light) required by law in Alberta
13. G2 Throttle Cam system to provide more control
14. longer throttle cable to avoid getting caught on stabilizer
15. Spark arrester muffler like the FMF Q or Q2
16. Ultra heavy duty tubes

Don't forget to search the Technical form for lots of ideas and a new bike setup guide hosted in there. Also safety items such as wiring your throttle cable so it won't go wide open when a branch hooks the cable. :thumbsup:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I prefer a 3l camelback, I make sure to pack one of those tinfoil blankets and a fire starting tool. After that, I just ride with DB or Scott as I know they have lots of tools.....

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Mr. Dirtyboy-You left out a few important add-ons :D (note-generally these are not required, but a fun way to spend money)
1. Rekluse autoclutch (also allows use of a LHRB which only the most advanced riders use :blush: )
2. PHDS vibration mounts (they really do work-get from Slavens)
3. Billet clutch and magneto covers (look pretty and if you fall over on rocks a lot like me, they help)
4. Tugger type straps (best to just buy some webbing and make your own)
5. Threaded barkbuster mounts (these work substantially better than the internal clamp setups that come with kits)

For the rad guards, everyone generally agrees the Bullet Proof ones are the best, but they are pricey. I'm a big fan of the new Scorpion rad braces and they are substantially cheaper.

Safety wire pliers are special pliers that nicely twist safety wire. Safety wire is a wire that has good workability so it doesn't break easily when twisted and bent. Different people safety wire different things. I use it for grips, broken plastic repair and anything that I notice keeps coming loose. I just realized nobody has mentioned almost the most important thing to have in your toolbox-Locktite or similar. General rule-if you touch something with threads, Locktite it.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

250scott wrote: I just realized nobody has mentioned almost the most important thing to have in your toolbox-Locktite or similar. General rule-if you touch something with threads, Locktite it.
Good point but make sure you use the right Locktite. Some bolts you want the red Locktite, most the Blue Locktite and maybe even the Green Locktite. Don't red Locktite the wrong bolt or you might get into trouble :crybaby:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

That locktite business is outlined in the New Bike Setup thread that I mentioned but the other things are great ideas. I don't agree with all of them but the tugger straps were absolutely missed from my list. :lol:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

the only loctite I use is on the shifter bolt and the brake calipers. Everything else gets an assembly lube.