First Season of Riding ... Thanks for all the help!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Second Race Update (Porcupine XC) After Buying a New Bik

Post by Hendrix13 »

Bark wrote:I'm not as seasoned as the rest of the crew but you should carry as much water as possible. Its just my opinion but if dehydrated, you're toast. If you're hydrated at the end of the race, thats half the battle.
You should be hydrating 2-3 days before a race.

I've also been known to drink the odd G2 before a race. :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Wow, Great thread. I have not been following it until now (i broke my smartphone and now can't surf from the john :crybaby: )

I use Kerosene on the filters. I run 2 baths of kerosene, one dirtier than the other and I typically replace the fluid in one bath every 4 cleanings. I then run them through a bath of simplegreen and warm water. I keep the pre-oiled filters in zip-lock bags so they are ready to go.

I run a 3lt pack with E-load in it. I hydrate for the week before the race, drink e-load for 12hrs before the race, and drink like mad after the race to keep from cramping and stiffening. I drank around 8 litres of fluid (not counting coffee) on Sunday and drained my camelback around 30km into the second loop. Normally i keep a 2lt pack ready to go and will swap them out during a X/C.

I force myself to drink and make a point of it after a crash to take a few pulls, or when I get to a road that I can sit down. You are better off to stay off the gas for 3 seconds and get the hose in your mouth than to cramp up at the halfway mark and run out of energy.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I forgot to add that I do protein shakes and eat protein bars at the riders meeting to get that last burst of energy before hitting the trail. I also keep a cliff or protein bar and some gel packs in my pack. The bars come in really handy when you are a sweeper and have to get someone that is struggling out of the bush.....

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

More good information that I plan to incorporate. So thanks to all.

This weekend I am going to try my hand at motocross. As I mentioned, I have a bunch of old friends that race in the Alberta Oldtimers and the race this weekend in Onoway.

I will let you all know how I do.

One thing I will say is that I think motocross is a lot easier than endurocross and XC!

I will try and post Sunday night. Please let me know how you guys do this weekend in your race as well. I would like to hear how the course was in relation to Riviere's and Porcupines. Easier or harder.

Take care everyone.

Hunter2727
User
User

Re: Third Race Update (Devil's Lake MX) After Buying a New B

Post by Hunter2727 »

Well I am back from Devils Lake MX (near Stony Plain) in the Alberta Old Timers series.

Again, it was such a great weekend. It is hard to believe how much enjoyment 2 wheels can bring. I had an absolutely great weekend and met some more wonderful people. It is amazing how generous motorcycle people are with their time, things, and friendship.

I raced 4 motos this weekend in the Novice 30 plus class. There were about 20 people at the gate, which was very intimidating. The track was great because there were no doubles which I think minimizes injuries. According to everyone I talked with, this was there favourite track of the series.

On a tool update. I am happy to report that I am getting fairly self sufficient. However, I did not buy tire irons or have tubes for any of the bikes and my son had a flat front tire. His ripped at the stem. Someone gave us a tube with a slow leak and we changed it with flat screw drivers and with the assistance of a knowledgable guy. I duct taped the inside of the spokes and kept on pumping it up for my son so he could keep on riding. The fill lasted about 20 minutes and then we would have to pump it up again. So...off I go to buy tubes for everyone's tires and tire irons.

I am also going to buy a pressure washer too. It is pretty nice to be able to load your bikes up clean. But, I will have to figure out a trailer or something before I can do that because I am full in the back of my truck with my 300, and my kids 80 and 50. and all the associated gear and diapers.
Last edited by Hunter2727 on Tue May 29, 2012 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

I am pretty sure there was a Christie Mines race this weekend. Please update me, how you did and what you thought of the race if you have time. It would be appreciated.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Hunter2727 wrote:I am pretty sure there was a Christie Mines race this weekend. Please update me, how you did and what you thought of the race if you have time. It would be appreciated.
christie is this coming sunday.

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

Well I have purchased the tire irons. I bought 3 motion pro and a tire change buddy. It hooks into the spoke to keep the bead from moving. The guy said it was really helpful. We'll see.

I also picked up heavy duty tubes for everyone's tires. So that is cool and we should be ready for our next flat.

Lastly, I picked up a Go Pro Hero 2. I was initially against buying one of these camera's because I thought why would I want to re-watch my rides. However, I have enjoyed watching other people's movies of the races immensely.

So, I thought that it what I would use my birthday money from family for.

Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Hunter2727
User
User

Re: 4th Weekend (MotocrossSchool) Update After Buying a New

Post by Hunter2727 »

Well I am back from Motocross school. It was very helpful.

Probably the most helpful exercise was focusing on turning. It was really neat to really focus on weighting the outside peg and sliding my butt off the seat to get the bike to lay over.

We also practised gated starts and the end of the day. I did well it all my starts but on my last start, I don't know what happened. People watching said that I must have grabbed too much front brake (after completing the start and slowing down to exit the track), but all I know was I was on the ground and hurting. Luckily no one else ran me over.

People said that my biked flipped 10 feet in the air. When we went to start it, it would not start because the silencer was packed full of dirt about an inch in. A funny bit (but also hurt) was the first guy over to help me was in such a rush that he kicked me in the ribs with his mx boot and then stood on my hand.

I was able to get up quickly once I got my wind back, but I hurt my shoulder. Xrays show nothing broken, but the doc said I tore my ac ligament. My elbow has a bunch of skin carnage and what I realized after I got back to the trailer was that I don't have anything to take care of wounds like this. I didn't even have a bandaid. After hunting around, I found a friend that fixed me up.

So, on a tool update....I am putting together a kickass first aid kid. In time for my next ride. So, that I don't have to go wondering around with oozing body parts trying to find gauze and stuff.

If anyone would like to weigh in on what they have in their first aid kits...what is absolutely vital and any tips and tricks or unusual things, it would be much appreciated.

Overall, another great weekend on two wheels. For most of the time, anyways.

How was Christie Mines?

Hunter2727
User
User

How Often Do You Change Your Bars?

Post by Hunter2727 »

I am wondering how often you guys change your bars. Mine are definitely tweeked now. WIth the right side dipping. Or do you just adjust and ride with them bent?

So I am still working on my first aid kit. I will let you guys know what I put into it once I get it all figured out. So far I have a sling. I needed that for my tore up shoulder.

The front and back fenders are wobbly now too from the cart wheel and being bent in the commotion. I can really notice them bouncing around. Not like they used to be.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Sometimes you can straighten bars with a length of pipe and some creative 'holding down' of the bike. I can't stand riding with bent bars, just feels wrong, but you can adjust after a while. Not for me, thanks.

It makes me cringe thinking about this brand new bike getting all bent and busted up, but at least it sounds like you are having fun doing it :thumbsup:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think that the metal will be fatigued from bending and then bending back. This is a KTM stock 1 1/8" bar right?

Highly recommended that you get a new set of bars. The fat bars don't usually bend so it must have taken a huge hit.

What if it breaks while riding because it's fatigued? I wouldn't want that to happen.

:cheers:

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

So I am going to buy a new set of bars. Should I just replace the renthal fat bars with the same. Or is there a different set of bars that all you guys prefer??

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Hunter2727 wrote:So I am going to buy a new set of bars. Should I just replace the renthal fat bars with the same. Or is there a different set of bars that all you guys prefer??
You could have just asked what type of oil is best. :thinking:

I'll start. I prefer the bars on my bike. Mainly because they are on my bike. I don't like the bars on other people's bikes as much. And I really don't like 7/8 bars, because once you put them on your bike they aren't straight.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Hunter2727
User
User

First Season Almost Done for a New Rider

Post by Hunter2727 »

Well I have finished my first season after many years off riding.

I had such a good time racing.

I raced more motocross than cross country. I would have to say that I enjoyed both but I found cross country significantly harder.

My first race was Riviere's Revenge. OMG. That was hard.

I did well racing OLD timers mx and had a lot of fun. I crashed hard twice. Once took me out for a while, while the other crash was just spectacular, but no significant injuries.

I have some work to do to fix parts of the bike that I broke this year.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out this year!