First Season of Riding ... Thanks for all the help!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Hunter2727
User
User

Re: First Race Update After Buying a New Bike

Post by Hunter2727 »

Hendrix13, yes that was my truck at the A&W in Pincher. I was picking up some chicken for my kids. I have 3 little ones and they had so much fun out at the race!

So, I have decided that I will be there this weekend. It would be appreciated if some of you guys could come and find me and introduce yourselves. I met some great people at the last race, but would definitely appreciate meeting some people off the forum too.

See you this weekend!

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

Another question.

How many litres of water do you guys pack in your camel pack?

Thanks in advance.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

This is one of the better saga's Ive read on RMDRA. If a guy was to show up and buy a day pass to race in beginers does he need proper number colours, or can he just use electrical tape? :)
Bikeless....

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

Another tool update

I bought a digital multi-meter to help me trouble shoot my electric start. It has never worked since day 1 really. But yesterday I took it into Blackfoot to get them to have a look at it (i bought it from there). It would sure have been nice to have e-start on those gnarly hills where I stalled out. Kicking it over in those difficult perches, peering down was not fun.

Also, i bought a spoke wrench. And a rat tail file. We needed one of those this weekend. I also picked up an good knife and a flashlight.

I was working on my bike and my kids bikes well into each evening and a flashlight would have helped immensely.

I am going to use Varsol to clean my filters. I used it tonight and it worked well. I was told that it hard on the filter glue but it cleans really well. So it is a trade off. I will just check each filter carefully and replace when necessary.

Then I washed in hot water and dish soap. So, that filter should be dry and ready to be oiled by the morning.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Try some diesel to clean your filters, easier on the filter and cheap. Never use gas unless you are looking to spend some time in the burn unit at the hospital.
#Z3B

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

erniebearskin wrote:This is one of the better saga's Ive read on RMDRA. If a guy was to show up and buy a day pass to race in beginers does he need proper number colours, or can he just use electrical tape? :)
You can get colored electrical tape at Canadian tire :)
For respect to the other racers, run the three numbers on your bike in the proper colors but no need to be fancy. I've been known to have a pretty ghetto setup myself :)
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Thanks Hendrix.

Congrats on your first race Hunter, you've inspired me to try a race this season!
Bikeless....

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Hunter2727 wrote:Another question.

Thanks in advance.
I like the 3 liter packs and try to drink the whole thing. :D

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

dirtyboy wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I like the 3 liter packs and try to drink the whole thing. :D
Try? I'm usually so hungover I down 3 litres in the first hour and spend the rest of my ride with my eyes bleeding from dehydration, doesn't everyone do this? :confused:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

steve-o wrote:Try? I'm usually so hungover I down 3 litres in the first hour and spend the rest of my ride with my eyes bleeding from dehydration, doesn't everyone do this? :confused:
When are you gonna learn? I saw you down 2 at lunch time today so I can't imagine how many you will be drinking this evening. :crazy:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Thanks in advance.
Believe it or not, drinking water while riding is quite the skill. I'm lucky if I drink 1/2 a litre in a race. I should drink more. But my theory is only carry what you think you can drink. 2 litre pack is probably the most common. Anymore then that and your just carrying extra weight.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Hendrix13 wrote:Believe it or not, drinking water while riding is quite the skill. I'm lucky if I drink 1/2 a litre in a race. I should drink more. But my theory is only carry what you think you can drink. 2 litre pack is probably the most common. Anymore then that and your just carrying extra weight.
Yep, drinking water while riding is really hard. I've never finished a 2 litre pack. As important as drinking is, it's probably more important to make sure you are properly hydrated at the start. If it makes any difference the top pro in Alberta typically doesn't carry a water pack during a race. Of course, because he actually knows how to ride, he probably only uses 1/2 the energy we do while going twice as fast.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

350scott wrote: the top pro in Alberta typically doesn't carry a water pack during a race. Of course, because he actually knows how to ride, he probably only uses 1/2 the energy we do while going twice as fast.
:thinking: by that logic, I need to carry 4 gallons of water and 2 steak dinners!

See you all out there.

Good luck Hunter :thumbsup:
The voices are back. Awesome!

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I bought a 3 litre Camelbak, because I assumed or read somewhere that I should.

I really appreciate the information and I am going to try putting in 2 litres. In Riviere's Revenge, I did not drink, but I was very thirsty when I got back to the trailer.

Looking forward to the race and thanks for the luck! See you guys out there.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Hunter2727 wrote:I bought a 3 litre Camelbak, because I assumed or read somewhere that I should.

I really appreciate the information and I am going to try putting in 2 litres.
Thats kinda like saying you think you'll only need five litres of gas to complete the race, so you're only going to put five litres in your 11 litre tank. if you have the room, take it.