First Season of Riding ... Thanks for all the help!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Bought a New Bike -- Now What?

Post by giantjoe »

Trial by fire! Welcome to dirt biking.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

The Next Question: Should I Race Porcupine?????

I am wondering if you guys can tell me if Porcupine Hills will be harder or easier than Riviere's Revenge. As I am sure you can read through my post above, I am shocked that I actually finished the race.

So, my question is: Is Porcupine this upcoming weekend harder? Should I pass on this race?

Please share your thoughts.

Hunter2727
User
User

Post by Hunter2727 »

Tool kit update:

J hook for removing muffler springs.
KTM tools (Clint had a really cool KTM Tbar looking #8 socket)
Pre-mix can for measuring oil mixture easily
Hand file for modifying skid plate to get it fit on to bike
Rubber gloves

Also, I need to figure out a better way to clean and oil my filter. And for storage. Anyone, who has some tips on this, it would be much appreciated.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: First Race Update After Buying a New Bike

Post by Brass »

:applause:
Congrats on getting through Clint's race. It was a tough one!
The voices are back. Awesome!

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Hunter2727 wrote:The Next Question: Should I Race Porcupine?????

I am wondering if you guys can tell me if Porcupine Hills will be harder or easier than Riviere's Revenge. As I am sure you can read through my post above, I am shocked that I actually finished the race.

So, my question is: Is Porcupine this upcoming weekend harder? Should I pass on this race?

Please share your thoughts.
Do it! It's hard, but in different ways. Many km, some tough climbs, but nothing impossible. It's two big loops with a gas stop, so you can pull the pin after the first loop if your feeling trashed.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

I'd second AJRJ (but I wasn't at Riviere's). Unless it's raining Porkies should be technically easier. If it's raining, even the pro's will struggle in places at Porkies. But be prepared for a long day. If you do both loops, you'll be on the bike for 4-6hrs. Porkies will also help you learn to follow a course.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

stretch
Writer
Writer

Post by stretch »

Pretty sure there are none of those :rant: tires at Porkies :)
# 87

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I agree with scott350, just need to watch your pace and your water. Its a long race and Porky's will test you endurance.
#Z3B

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I think we saw your truck at the A&W in Pincher :D

Tough race to start the season.

<General Question> I can't remember. Does the 'B' class have to do the entire course at Porkies?

If you want to get your confidence up before doing a big XC like porkies, drop down into the beginners class. I'm positive they just do the shorter loop (so half the XC). It's still plenty fun, just not as long. :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Hendrix13 wrote:I think we saw your truck at the A&W in Pincher :D

Tough race to start the season.

<General Question> I can't remember. Does the 'B' class have to do the entire course at Porkies?

If you want to get your confidence up before doing a big XC like porkies, drop down into the beginners class. I'm positive they just do the shorter loop (so half the XC). It's still plenty fun, just not as long. :thumbsup:
I can assure you from experience that the 'B' Class doesn't have to do the entrie course, :blush: unless the goal is to finish somewhere near the top.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Hendrix13 wrote:<General Question> I can't remember. Does the 'B' class have to do the entire course at Porkies?
was is so long ago that you just can't remember? :D

Only 350Scott and Beginners do one loop,

Junior, ladies A, All B, All A, 50 class, Intermediate, and Pro do both. Unless you just don't want to.

you can quit after one lap if you just can't continue on, or break, or find yourself coming into the first loop check in the opposite direction :smirk:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

steve-o wrote:
Hendrix13 wrote:<General Question> I can't remember. Does the 'B' class have to do the entire course at Porkies?

Junior, ladies A, All B, All A, 50 class, Intermediate, and Pro do both. Unless you just don't want to.

you can quit after one lap if you just can't continue on, or break, or find yourself coming into the first loop check in the opposite direction :smirk:

Steve-o is dishing out a little pre-porkies spunk, must be his nerves :D.I only did the first loop last year. If anything get out and gain some race experience. Porkies is awesome :thumbsup:
#Z3B

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

axel99 wrote:Steve-o is dishing out a little pre-porkies spunk, must be his nerves :D.
You're right, Nerves of Steel.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

steve-o wrote:

Ahh Yes (I'm getting old Steve-o).

Hunter, my advice is if you've never raced before go Beginners. You'll have fun, you'll finish and you might even get a trophy :)
I think the Beginners class is under utilized. It's there for Adults that have never raced before...use it. The expert kids get bumped straight to Juniors now.

But, If you want to find out what nearly a 100km of gnarly single track is like, go 30B. You might want to pack a couple extra beers for the sweepers though.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

But, If you want to find out what nearly a 100km of gnarly single track is like, go 30B. You might want to pack a couple extra beers for the sweepers though.
That's experience talking. If you really wanted to help, you could at least let him know what kind of beer they like. :D