Returned to the sport after 30 years away!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Returned to the sport after 30 years away!

Post by Hammer »

Hi Everyone,
So glad I found your web and the J25 AGM!

Road Ontario farm country and XC races 'till I was 18 then moved to AB (1979) leaving the bikes in the barn. Now after pestering my wife of 20 years we pulled the trigger and purchased an 06 TT125EL for our 13 year old Ian in Oct. 2 weeks later and me standing at the side of the sand track at Blackfoot watching Ian I picked up a fresh '06 WR450F. CRF230 is on the books for my 16 year old in the spring. Wife has even expressed interest in inheriting the 125 when Ian moves up - imagine!

I gotta say that riding Blackfoot a dozen times since Nov I am loving the people associated with this sport. A special thanks to those I talked to including Dallas, who helped guide me through the maze of new engine and suspension technology....there's been a few changes since the old CanAm, Bultaco and Husky's we used to ride in the 70's.

I've just uncorked this Yammy so if there is anyone willing to show an old guy some tricks and trails I'm in. Weekdays are an option for sure! Also looking for riding partners west of Innisfall this spring and summer. And looking for a good suspension tuner.....any suggestions?

Once again, glad I went to the AGM and look forward to helping at events and with the club.

Hammer

06 WR450
06 TTL 125
06 CRF230 on the way

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Welcome! You could try Chris @ Proaction for suspension. He did my 426 and I've been happy with it. :cheers:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

MtnBlue wrote:Welcome! You could try Chris @ Proaction for suspension. He did my 426 and I've been happy with it. :cheers:
Hey! Welcome to the site!!

From the sounds of it you were the one I was racing with this past weekend (Name's Quinn with the 04 RM Suzuki).

Good times I had that day. I will definitly be going back to the track again!! I just got over my soreness today! haha.

Anyways, we are heading out trail riding this weekend if weather permits. You are welcome to join. So far its Fife, Roach and Me. Probably going to BarC area @ Wiaprous. Studs shouldn't be required (cause I dont' have any) and I believe the only one who does is Fife. I am hoping the weather warms up for saturday as I'm a sucker with cold weather. You can let me know by PM. I also have room for one on my truck if required. I dont' think anybody has spoken for it yet. Requires tie downs though.

Quinn
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Suspension

Post by Hammer »

Thanks for the info on Proaction Mtnblue. I'll give Chris a call.

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Hey Shibby,
Yah, we were chasing each other around Blackfoot on the weekend. Great meeting you and thanks for the invite to ride this weekend. Let's see what the weather brings. Stay in touch.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

welcome to the club. You will have no trouble finding people to ride with on this site. There are some hardcore riders here as you can see by the posts from people hammering it out in 2 feet of snow :bonk:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Hammer wrote:Hey Shibby,
Yah, we were chasing each other around Blackfoot on the weekend. Great meeting you and thanks for the invite to ride this weekend. Let's see what the weather brings. Stay in touch.
Will do!.

I will definitly hit up the track some more whenever I can't get out on the trails! Always fun to to practice the jumping and a have some competitive riding!! Once the track improves we'll be able to open it up a bit around the corners!
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

redrider
Writer
Writer

Welcome Hammer

Post by redrider »

Hey Hammer,

Good to hear your joining the ranks of the dirt riders again.

I just bought a place last year at Gleniffer and am looking to find and ride the trails west of Innisfail. How would like to be a tour guide. My son and I would love to ride the area with you. :banana:

RedRider
RedRider (Brad B.)
2014 Husqvarna TE300

**You never fail until you stop trying**

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Riding West of Glennifer

Post by Hammer »

Hey RedRider~

This sure shows the power of being a member of the RMDRA and this forum! I am super keen to get out with or without kids to map some trails, both local and to the west. We are in Phase 1, Lot 19 purchased last season too. Our kids made friends with many of the locals who have bikes and quads so they have a good fix on local trails. Other neighbours of mine ride bush west of the lake. So yes, I am really looking forward to mixing some riding with golf and wakeboarding in the off hours.

My cell number is 403-807-7961 for anybody who is in the area and wants to go for a ride.

Let's keep in touch!
Hammer (Gord)

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

Welcome Hammer, thanks for joining the club and looking forward to riding with you and the family.

I too started riding again last spring after not riding since the 70's (CanAm 250). Had a great summer, got throughly schooled and learned lots from the other club members.

Based on personal experience, I'd highly recomend speaking with Chris and setting up your suspension before doing any serious cross country riding with these gals and guys.

Enjoy the new ride!

:cheers:

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Welcome Hammer! Did ya have a grin ya just couldn't get rid of for days when ya got back on a bike again? (I did - and for me it was less than 10 years!) Look forward to meeting you and the family, and having another "veteran" to teach us a few lessons!
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists