Hello from Calgary

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
EastCoaster
User
User

Hello from Calgary

Post by EastCoaster »

What's up everyone!!! I'm new to riding in Alberta and pretty new to riding dirtbikes in general. I grew up riding quads and also owne a super moto for a few summers. I'm just looking for some buddies to go out riding with on the weekends and show me some great trails come spring and summer. Looking forward to riding with you all!!

Cheers!!!

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Hello from Calgary

Post by giantjoe »

This is the place to be! What are you riding?

Being the guided rides director, I feel it's my responsibility to plug the program... Get a membership and come out on Wednesday evenings, we'll get you some contacts and show you some trails! Besides that watch the upcoming rides forum for other people heading out on weekends and stuff.

Come check out our club meeting this Thursday. We'll let you know a little about the club.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

EastCoaster
User
User

Post by EastCoaster »

Hey Giantjoe,

Thanks for the reply. I hope to attend the meeting thursday night and see what you guys are all about.

As for what i'm riding i'm still hunting Kijiji!!! I have it narrowed down to an 01' yz250 2t, 04'rm 250 2t and an 01' yzf 250 4t. I still can't decide 2stroke or a 4 stroke. I have little experience with 2 strokes!!! However since i'm buying an older bike I figure the 2 stroke might be an easier bike to maintain.

Any suggestions?

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Try to find something that has been set up for woods riding already. A heavier flywheel is pretty important if you don't want to stall it all the time. You will praise an e-start repeatedly when you're on a steep hill stalled. If you can afford (or find) a KTM XC, XC-W, or EXC you'll be laughing, the sx are motocross bikes, they suffer from suspension and flywheel issues just like a YZ, KX and RM would.

These are "common" opinions, I personally ride a dual sport and have a lot of fun on it, but don't suggest it. Good luck on your quest.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

To start, welcome to the forum.

You bike selection issue is one that comes often. To help, you should concider where you will be riding most. On a motocross track or in the woods on single track or something else? For motocross, the bikes you mentioned will be great. For singletrack woods riding you may want to concider a woods bike such as a wr, crf-x, xc-w or xc, klx or similar. As Joe said, the motor and suspension are set up better for that type of riding.

Come on out to the meeting tomorrow and talk to some members. You'll get some first hand opinions on what works and what doesn't.

:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

lots of people like/liked the yz 250 2t in the woods too, and the old RM 250 2t used to work well out there as well. Both just need a heavy flywheel and pipe. Buy what you can afford and ride. An older 4 stroke might be dur for a ton of maintence and put you in the poor house. KTM, GagGas, Husqvarna are all good too if you find yourself in that price snack bracket. Good luck see you out there.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I think steve-o has a bit of a hate on for 4t's :D . What about a Honda XR400? I had on of these and it was solid, super dependable and affordable and pulled like a tractor. It worked out to be a great bike for a couple of years to get back into riding.
#Z3B

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Maybe Zook wants to ditch his DR-Z then we can have more of them in the woods.

EastCoaster
User
User

Post by EastCoaster »

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I figure I'll be mainly riding in the bush but the odd time I wouldn't mind going to the track and trying it out. I'd like to get something I won't get bored with after a few rides, the last 2t I rode felt a lot more wild than the CR450x I was riding a few summers back. The power band will take some getting use to and the lack of throttle response at the bottom end. But there are a lot more 2t on the market than 4t.

Hope to you all tomorrow night!!!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Another view point might have to do with the fact that lights are required on all motorcycles riding on crown land. So depending on whether you want to fuss with battery operated lights or have electrical to power the lights it might make the off-road bikes more attractive than the motocross bikes.

EastCoaster
User
User

Post by EastCoaster »

Hey dirtboy, can't you just put a head lamp on the bars of your bike and call it a day?

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Check this out...
You can decide what needs to be done.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

EastCoaster wrote:Hey dirtboy, can't you just put a head lamp on the bars of your bike and call it a day?
Sure you can do that, however they can write tickets if the headlight doesn't illuminate something 60m ahead or the tail light can't be seen from 60m behind.

:cheers:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Welcome.

If interested, there is a club meeting tonight. Search forums for details or pm me.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

EastCoaster
User
User

Post by EastCoaster »

I just picked up a 2002 yamaha WR2002, looks like i'm riding blue all summer. See you guys at the track in a few weeks.