A new, old rider

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Garrison

A new, old rider

Post by Garrison »

Hi all. At 42, I just bought my first dirtbike - a Husaberg FE390. I've been riding a dualsport WR250R for the last few years, and I'm finding I just want to ride offroad instead of dualsporting. I don't have a lot of offroad skill at the moment. At middle age, it's actually kind of fun to be a newbie at something.

I've owned more streetbikes than I care to remember. My background originally was in sportbikes and roadracing. I worked in LA for Motorcycle Online for a little while as a tester (strictly streetbikes). As I got old(er), I started doing more touring, which lead to some dualsporting on a couple of KLRs. Up until a couple of years ago, my offroad experience was limited to the Dempster Highway riding to Inuvik.

I joined the RMDRA at the bike show because I was very impressed with the club's intelligent approach to advocacy. As a public relations flak for one of the oil and gas majors, I was also really impressed by the quality of the club's newsletter.

I have two kids under two, and those little buggers and my wife are the best and most important part of my life, so my riding time is very limited. I only got out riding a few times last year, as my daughter was born in the spring. (Although we did trailer down to Tucson for a week of riding right before she came along, so I can't complain too much). I'm hoping to get out more this year, including on regular Wednesday night rides at Macleans. Hopefully I can learn some trails and some skills from you lot.

In the meantime - I'll keep adding accessories to the Berg, and waiting for the snow to melt.

Cheers,
Gord

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: A new, old rider

Post by dirtyboy »

Welcome. The newsletters are awesome!

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Welcome aboard and can I put my request in for a 390 test ride now?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Welcome! Come out to the guided rides, you'll learn new trails for sure.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

Welcome to the club! I think that you'll find the guided rides to be one of the best ways to schedule in some seat time. I know, because I have 4 at home (7 and under). If it wasn't for the guided rides, I would have only been out a handful of times last summer (my first summer back after a few years off and my first real single track riding). You can choose your ride type and even the beginner rides are great fun due to the knowledge of the guides! You can progress up the levels at your own pace (fast or slow), it really is the best way to get acquainted to dirt riding.

Since you did dual sport for the most part, I think your experience would be similar to mine as that is the kind of off road riding we mostly did back then (except for your track time, which I did on 4 wheels instead of 2).

Be prepared to get hooked on single track!

Rod
'13 KTM 250 xc

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Welcome Gord,

You'll find that the club is very family oriented with many members taking the entire clan out for weekend camping rides. If you do any camping at all, you may find it a great way to escape without leaving the family behind. That along with the Wednesday guided ride program could have you out a lot more than you expect!

If you're able, come on out to the next club meeting, tomorrow March 3 and meet a few more members.
The voices are back. Awesome!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

See you out there Gord ! Welcome.

Scott stand in line on the test drive request! Gord, you could make money renting out test drives I'm thinkin'

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Brass - bad avatar... :crazy: :crybaby:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Brass wrote:Welcome Gord,

You'll find that the club is very family oriented with many members taking the entire clan out for weekend camping rides.
Brass, please don't come to any camping weekends with that mask you have for an avatar...it will make the kids (and some adults) cry :lol:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Garrison

Post by Garrison »

You guys are awesome. What a great welcome. Can't wait to meet on the trails. I'll do my best to make the April meeting too. Can't do tonight unfortunately.

And it's probably a LITTLE early to be asking for test rides, as the Berg has zero hours on it. At least let me get it scratched up a bit first. Ask me later. The answer will probably still be no, but at least I'll think about for a few moments before responding. ;)

BTW - pretty sure Walts still has their demo 390.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Just was on their site today, they have 2- 2010 390's one new, one demo.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Welcome Gord,

I have two under two as well (twins), and like you my riding time is pretty limited. I found the Guided Rides/Club rides were my best chance to get out for some seat time. Will probably stay that way till I start taking them with me, lol.

Looking forward to seeing that 390 in action, I want on the test ride waiting list too...

Turnerr

Post by Turnerr »

Hey, I am a new old rider too.
I am in my 40's and haven't ridden since I was a teenager.
I have a problem and was hoping a dirt bike forum might have the answer.
My kids wanted to get into it so I went out and bought a couple of dirtbikes and a quad for us so we could do some riding.
I called my insurance company (Meloche Mennox) and they said they wouldn't insure the bikes because I don't have a class 6 liscence. I didn't think you needed a liscence for offroad use(never needed one when I was a kid), but apparently that is thier "policy"...
I tried Drayden Insurance and they said the same thing.
So I can't insure them and can't register them without insurance.
What am I supposed to do other than riding on private property?
I am in Alberta.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Hey There, welcome to the forum!

Found this post with a quick search. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7102

See you out there!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC