Another new dirt rider

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
CarsonBlocks

Another new dirt rider

Post by CarsonBlocks »

Hi, I just joined up and thought I should post an introduction. I'm an avid street rider, but pretty new to the dirt world. My first attempt at dirt riding was back in '07 when I bought a brand new DR650SE with the best of intentions before a May Long Weekend camping trip to Waiparous. It kicked my butt a few times out there as I learned the not-so-subtle differences between a DR650 and a real dirtbike and learned that street skills weren't so relevant off-road. Since then, I've been enjoying the DR650 quite a bit on back roads, road allowances, and mild off-roading, but it's left me limping a few times when I've needed reminding that it's not a real dirt bike and that my ambition far exceeds my skill level. My second misguided attempt at dirt biking was in '09 when I went completely the opposite direction and bought a CR125 since it fit my short inseam. It took me 15 minutes of riding it to discover that it didn't match what I wanted to do or my riding style at all, after which it was promptly sold, putting thoughts of trail riding on the back burner once again.

Trail riding stayed in the back of my mind until I met Brass at the bike show and he told me about the Wednesday night guided rides, which seemed like an ideal way to pick up some dirt skills, even on my DR650. He talked me in to signing up for the RMDRA on the spot using the gear bag draw as a shiny lure, and after talking bikes for a bit while I filled out the paperwork, I got the idea of picking up a more suitable dirt bike to play with. I spent the week at work distracted by looking for dirt bikes, and I think I wasted half of Brass's week while he patiently answered dumb questions about used dirt bikes I'd found. After some consideration and research, I'd settled on a WR250, leaning towards the R version so my girlfriend can go dual sporting with me, and so I can ride to trails.

Tonight, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a lightly used WR250R. Many thanks go to Brass for helping me get in to trail riding in a little smarter manner than my previous attempts and helping me pick out a bike that works for my needs and budget. I really look forward to joining the RMDRA Wednesday night guided rides on both the DR650SE and the WR250R, and possibly getting my girlfriend involved as well.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Another new dirt rider

Post by dirtyboy »

Nice intro Carson. Welcome.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

You'll enjoy the WR much more then the DR :)
You'll love the guided rides too.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

.... You're gonna get addicted!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Welcome :applause: You've come to the right group and will really benefit from the Guided Rides, this Forum and the Club meetings. Hope to meet you at the swap meet. :cheers:
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

See you out there :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

mediumdee
User
User

Post by mediumdee »

One more for the blue :thumbsup: Just wait till you blast that blue rocket up a hill at McLean, your gonna be hooked :cheers: Your wife will soon refer to Brass as the "Pusherman" that got you hooked on singletrack. All other endeavors will seem pointless :headbang: welcome brother
08 WR450F
Don't Panic!

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Glad to hear you got yourself a new scooter. You're gonna love it!

GiantJoe used to ride his DP from Calgary to Mclean and back. You may want to send him a PM to ask what tires he had. They seemed to hold up well on the street and they hauled him all over Mclean.

For the record I'm not a pusher, I'm a facilitator.
The voices are back. Awesome!

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Kenda Trakmaster II. They probably still have another 500k in them, that is unless I put some sheet metal screws in them. You probably won't get tortured as much as I did since yours is "essentially" a trail bike. Just make sure you get case guards, good tires, and a thick skin. Those FT dirt boys don't like it when bikes with signal lights pass them.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Dirtbuddy420
Writer
Writer

Post by Dirtbuddy420 »

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Nice to see you over here. Try to make it to the next club meeting Feb 3rd.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6717
2008 WR450