Gotta get rid of "Lurker" status

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Gotta get rid of "Lurker" status

Post by giantjoe »

----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Is the Zero an electric motorcycle or an electric bicycle? Meaning, does it need registration and insurance?
The voices are back. Awesome!

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Welcome and i am curious from your perspective...

Every thing i have read about electric bikes is their inability to last long if ridden at same pace as gas bike. i think one of my dirtbike magazine subscriptions had a guy race in a motocross event. He got holeshot but that was about it. He was quickly run down and passed by i think everyone. He also did not finish the motto. He ran out of juice.

But, now that we have someone here with an electric bike, i would be curious to know how long you can ride in th bush/track at race pace? i see the website states 2 hours or 64kms, but i would like to know what you are actually experiencing at a 'race' pace. :thinking:

EDIT: i see that the asterix for time/distance states 45mins if riding aggressively. :(
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

It's clear to me that at some point "alternative power" will be the next major evolution to bikes. With that in mind I have a genuine curiosity about the electric bike. While it may not go 100 km on a charge, it is still very appealing for many other reasons.

10 years ago I had an cordless drill that would only last about 15 minutes on a charge. Now a good battery powered drill can last most of the day. It won't be long before we see much greater range from these machines.

One question that I haven't seen asked yet is the bikes resistance to water, what happens to it when you turn it upside down in a creek?
The voices are back. Awesome!

Grumps
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grumps »

Brass wrote:... what happens to it when you turn it upside down in a creek?
At the bike show last weekend, my buddy and I asked the representative that question. He stated that it is completely water proof; no electrical shorts nor other surprises. I wonder if that's true.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Check out this post for a Zero race.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6719
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Hendrix13 wrote:Check out this post for a Zero race.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6719
Nice :thumbsup:
How much does a spare battery cost?
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Spinalguy wrote:How much does a spare battery cost?
Not much..about $3,000 :eek:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/ind ... ucts_id=10
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Hendrix13 wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:How much does a spare battery cost?
Not much..about $3,000 :eek:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/ind ... ucts_id=10
i used thye Canadian shopping cart and the bike and extra battery comes to $13, 200.
Not bad for some stealthy riding. If they can not hear you on an illegal trail, does it mean you weren't there? :smirk: (tree fall in forest analogy)
Just kidding.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Grumps wrote:
Brass wrote:... what happens to it when you turn it upside down in a creek?
At the bike show last weekend, my buddy and I asked the representative that question. He stated that it is completely water proof; no electrical shorts nor other surprises. I wonder if that's true.
We need to get one of these for Porchev. :D

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Dobi wrote:We need to get one of these for Porchev. :D
:lol: :applause:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

zerorep

Post by zerorep »

Hey Giant Joe - nice to meet you at the swap - yes it does need insurance. According to the insurance guys I've talked to, they'd put them in the "less that 100 volts" catagory which seems to translate to $100 - $150 for liability as far as the quotes that I've seen thus far.

zerorep

Post by zerorep »

Brass wrote:It's clear to me that at some point "alternative power" will be the next major evolution to bikes. With that in mind I have a genuine curiosity about the electric bike. While it may not go 100 km on a charge, it is still very appealing for many other reasons.

10 years ago I had an cordless drill that would only last about 15 minutes on a charge. Now a good battery powered drill can last most of the day. It won't be long before we see much greater range from these machines.

One question that I haven't seen asked yet is the bikes resistance to water, what happens to it when you turn it upside down in a creek?

:thumbsup: hey Brass - everything is pretty water resistant, especially the motor. the motors are actually German made torpedo motors. About the only precaution one should take when it comes to water is to keep back a foot or so with a pressure washer - you don't want to force water into any kind of switches at 3000 psi.

zerorep

Post by zerorep »

Spinalguy wrote:Welcome and i am curious from your perspective...

Every thing i have read about electric bikes is their inability to last long if ridden at same pace as gas bike. i think one of my dirtbike magazine subscriptions had a guy race in a motocross event. He got holeshot but that was about it. He was quickly run down and passed by i think everyone. He also did not finish the motto. He ran out of juice.

But, now that we have someone here with an electric bike, i would be curious to know how long you can ride in th bush/track at race pace? i see the website states 2 hours or 64kms, but i would like to know what you are actually experiencing at a 'race' pace. :thinking:

EDIT: i see that the asterix for time/distance states 45mins if riding aggressively. :(
Right you are Spinalguy. If you are a pro running the bike as hard as you can in a race, you'd be lucky to get a full hour. Trail riding (2nd / 3rd gear stuff) for me is a little better than two hours. I'm a little over 200 lbs. Light riders will do a lot better, but I need to lose a few cheese burgers. :smirk:

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Question for zerorep...

What are the legalities of riding an electric bike in places the mountain bikers already frequent? (ie fish creek park, bow river and other urban areas)
I'd be really interested in an urban riding are to go to for those 1-2 hour short & sweet type of rides...

Any plans from the electirc motorcycle community to ask the city of Calgary for a designated electric motorcycle area? I can help but look at all the wooded land by COP and think what a great electric cycling area that would make...

Cheers,
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT