If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Fordwheeler
Writer
Writer

Post by Fordwheeler »

Hi all, I am new to the sport, been riding my crf100 for 3yrs now and am buying an xr200. Looking to find some people to ride with and develope my riding skills. Used to live in Drumheller and loved the riding out there, now live in Calgary and have been to Mclean a few times. I used to do alot of fourwheeling with my trucks but love the freedom that a bike gives me in the woods. I love the singletacks that I have been on but it gets kinda scary when your out there alone and not really knowing the trails very well lol Hope to get together with other similarly skilled riders and having some fun.

Sean

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Newbie

Post by MotorEd »

Welcome Sean!

Like the sign says..."Where Single Track Enthusiasts Meet" :thumbsup:

After a few more trips around the woods you will get the hang of it and develop a much bigger appreciation for the value of single track.

:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

welcome to the club.

Singletrack can be very addictive. Be careful :blush:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Welcome :newbie: See you out there!

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Fordwheeler wrote:been riding my crf100 for 3yrs now and am buying an xr200
First of all, welcome to the club. It is a great way to meet like minded people and get involved in the community.

Secondly, I'm not sure what your reasons are for picking an XR200, but I'd suggest you consider something with better (disc) brakes for going down the big hills. Maybe step up to an XR250 if you want to stay within the XR lineup?

Fordwheeler
Writer
Writer

Post by Fordwheeler »

Thanks for the welcomes. My biggest reason for the xr200 is price and the fact that the guy I am buying it from is willing to take payments (on a very tight budget at the moment) Getting tired of the crf100 bottoming out every time I get a little air on it, and the extra power will be more than welcome. Who knows maybe next summer a new bike may be in the budget.

Would it be possible to upgrade the 200 to discs later on?

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Anything is possible, you could upgrade it later, but it probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Best bet for now is to just get out there and enjoy the ride, upgrade when your budget allows. Not sure what vintage of XR you are looking at, some of them came with a front disc (1983-1985 maybe?). In the 90's they took away the lights, disc brake and shortened the suspension, to bring the cost down.

Fordwheeler
Writer
Writer

Post by Fordwheeler »

It's an 84 and has the lights, can't remember if it has the front disc or not. If not I am sure I will still enjoy it very much. Thanks for the info.