Thought I'd finally register..

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Thought I'd finally register..

Post by Shibby! »

Hey people,

Been reading the forum for quite some time now and thought I would finally sign up!

Recently moved to Calgary for work and just started riding dirt this year with my YZ-125 (it was cheap). Anyways, enjoyed it so much once I got out here I bought the RM-250 a week or two ago.

Been mostly riding with some guys I met at Mclean and BarC and Drumheller, but hope to find some more people to ride with and explore some more trails come spring.

Please don't pick on me cause I turned Yellow, haha. I've owned a few bikes in my day and I like them all. I've also owned a suzuki before which was stolen. (GSXR-1000)

Ill attach some pics so you can view my pride and joy.

I know the RM is not the best offroad bike but the 2-stroke MX bikes work for me. I like the light weight, easy of handling, and ease of fixing/cost of parts. I have rode some 4-strokes (trial and MX bikes) and they are simply too big and would be way too much work for me and the stuff we ride!

BTW, I know I am not proud of the fact that I ride a MX bike offroad w/o spark arrestor, and lights. I do however carry a headlight with me if required.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Looks like you like bikes a lot too. 3 bikes, nice. That RM is sweet. What about that RG3 triple clamp? Different offset or better bar mounts?

Any way, welcome to the forum. It's great to see different bikes and stuff. Any offroad racing in your background? future?

Most of the people on this board ride tight single track so some bark busters would be advised if you go for a ride with any of the regulars here. I know my new busters have quite a few marks on them in 2 rides. :D

:cheers:

~Pussykat~
Writer
Writer

Post by ~Pussykat~ »

Welcome, nice R1! I ride both off and on road too. Dirtyboy is correct get yourself some bark busters! :)
*Samm* aka The wife
2006 Honda CRF230
1999 Suzuki DR650
Ladies A

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

lol.. You noticed the RG3!

Its also got Renthal drives, boysen reed valve, pro taper bars, and bendable levers.

Basically too nice of parts to ride offroad! No, I am not sure the details on the RG3, but i like the bar positioning and he said it cut down on the vibration. (although there shouldn't be much to begin win, but he said he only rode it once with stock bars)

The bark busters are definitly going to be going on there. The YZ had gone through 3 or 4 levers from a couple months of riding. We ride everything and anything. I love Bar C and certain area's of Mclean, and Drumheller is just a big play ground and love the single track on the north side.

I have owned a few bikes, but they are all onroad stuff. Have owned a 01 GSXR 1000 and 00 YZ-R6 as well. Been riding road for about 4 or 5 years, but this past summer was the first off-road and I love it! Have a background in mountain biking as well.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

What do you consider tight single track. Like what area's do you guys like to ride?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Shibby! wrote:What do you consider tight single track. Like what area's do you guys like to ride?
BarC was where we went today. I usually ride McLean but also ride at Fallen Timber, Porcupine Hills, etc.

I'm sure you've seen the trails. I met a guy about 5 years ago that showed me some trails at McLean. The trails are on the map and called Barwell trail. He rode without hand guards and it didn't seem to bother him, however I wouldn't ride that trail without bark busters.

I'd like to try Drumheller sometime. I haven't ridden the trails there.

:cheers:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Yea, they don't have many trails out there. Lots of little fun stuff to climb and jump and get a little silly on, but thats about it. I love the single track though, but it's not nealry large enough. Good for late or early season riding though.

Yea, BarC is great.

For Mclean trails I enjoyed that Cloud 9 trail. Thats about the tightest one I know of at Mclean. I believe I have done most trails out there except the one they call "Rocky Ridge". We did a super tight one at BarC last time I went out. It was a very rarly used trail but it beat me with the 125. Actually dropped the bike at one point and put a hole in the clutch cover casing. haha. That ended the year.

Either way, can't wait till spring to try the 250 out! I have rode my buddies bikes and its so much easier, but I will surely like the change, but probably miss the challenge of the 125.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Cloud9 isn't the tightest trail out there, but the trails get wider every year. Cloud9 has been declared a no stopping zone in our group. Very fun fast trail. Some of my favourite trails are flagged with white flags.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Hey Shibby! Welcome to the group. Don't wait for spring - find yourself some Trelleborgs - a litle expensive for rubber - but lots o fun!

Cheers dude! :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Yea, my buddy has ice raced for a few years and they make their own tires.

Takes a bit of work, but I would think cheaper then buying those (i have looked at the price in the for sale forum). Their about ~100 or so for studs on a tire. Depends how many though. THe ice racers load them right up, whereas for the snow/trails i would probably use half as many.

Then they just require some cheap crappy tires to cut to the right profile and your off to the races. Oh yea, some street bike tires to cut up as well to protect the tube.

I will look into those tires through to see the tread pattern. The only thing is I don't have much experience with changing tires and from the last time i did it with firm walled tires, I prefer not to do it often! haha.

Next year for sure though!

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

buddy

Post by DirtGirl »

who's your 'buddy"?
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Re: buddy

Post by Shibby! »

DirtGirl wrote:who's your 'buddy"?
A guy I know back in Saskatoon. They race every sunday out on the lakes.

Looks like great fun and I had plans to do it this year, but now that I moved here (Calgary) I have to wait till next year before I will go winter trail riding!

Never know, might buy some studs and do some tires this year yet... Depends how long I can stay without riding.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

rooster wrote:I sell winter studded tires-18-19 inch for 225.00 no tax and 21 inch for 175 bucks-
Please post your ad in the classified section if you are selling something. If you want you can post in the topic that there are whatevers for sale in classified. I moved the other post for you. :cheers:

Organization allows searching and finding relevant results after the post isn't at the top (a few days or a week later)