Finally on Dirt

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
nakedride

Finally on Dirt

Post by nakedride »

Hi all. I have been an active member of Ground Pilots for about 5 years now. Have heard a number of members there talk about the RMDRA lots. So now that I have traded in one of my street rides for a dirt bike I thought it was about time to sign up here.

A little about my self. I have lived in the Calgary area for almost 25 years, and now live in High River. I have a great family that also enjoys the sport and we love to go camping. I have 3 boys, 14, 11, 10. We have an xr80 and widwest 50 for them to play on. I have just traded into owning a yz426f that I am dying to get out and try. We have some friends that we go with on occasion but not many yet. I am hoping, like we have from Ground Pilots, that this forum will get me in touch with many of the great people that live and ride in the area.

Hope to meet some of you soon. I am sure I will as I will Probably be heading out for one of the group rides soon.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Finally on Dirt

Post by axel99 »

Awesome and welcome to the forum, The RMDRA organized Wednesday night guided rides are a really good way to learn some trails and get to meet some other members. The guided ride organizers setup several groups at different skill levels to ensure that you have a opportunity to ride in a group that is challenging to your skill level.
You will need to become a RMDRA club member to attend the guided rides, bunch of insurance and liability reasons. If you want some bike setup info just search the forum and post questions.
#Z3B

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Post by justinKX »

welcome to the club!

i second the wednesday night rides. you wont find a better way to learn the trails and meet new people.
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

nakedride

Post by nakedride »

I am a member and am set up(i think). Still trying to figure out what I want to bring for tools and what to put them in. My tank bag from my street bike doesn't stick to my tank very well. Lol. I have a spare spark plug and some tools, I have a yz426f and from what I understand is they can be a technically a female pooch to start.

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Post by justinKX »

spare plug, flathead, adjustable wrench, 8mm 10mm wrenches, small bike pump, i think thats all i carry with me..
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

nakedride wrote:I have a yz426f and from what I understand is they can be a **** to start.
The trick with that bike is to use the decompressor lever to bump the piston just past TDC, then give it a healthy boot and it usually will start every time. When it's cold give the throttle a quick twist first and use the choke. At least that's what I remember. And try to find an exhaust pipe that isn't 110 db like most of those bikes.

Other good things to carry in your pack are zip ties and a master link. They weigh almost nothing and can get you out of several situations.

Welcome to the club, see you on the trails.

MarkFJ40
User
User

Post by MarkFJ40 »

My buddies brother has one of those old YZ426's. Whatever you do don't give it any gas when it is hot. Something he told me when I took it out for a rip.