New Rider

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
stogey
User
User

New Rider

Post by stogey »

I just got my first dirt bike (been riding street for a few years but this is going to be a different challenge!) and was wondering where is the best place to go essentially learn my bike? I know I'm not ready to jump onto single track, are there wider trails out at Mclean Creek and such? I am new to the sport and don't know anyone else who rides dirt bikes.
any info would be useful.
Thanks.
Honda crf150f

Dirtbuddy420
Writer
Writer

Re: New Rider

Post by Dirtbuddy420 »

Two words for you my friend... Guided Rides. Every Wed night they are held and are great for riders of all levels.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard! :cheers:
2008 WR450

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Dirtbuddy420 wrote:Two words for you my friend... Guided Rides. Every Wed night they are held and are great for riders of all levels.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard! :cheers:
Not to dissagree, but guided rides do require basic operation of a motorcycle.

Some catch onto this very quickly, some don't. I understand you have a street motorcycle, which many of the forum users do including myself, but at the end of the day, I don't think they equate a whole lot. Dirt is a whole lot more advanced.

Best to learn the motorcycle in a gravel pit, open field, etc. Then venture into some hills and practice control over bumps, through puddles, and up/down hills. Then guided rides would be a great option. As stated, every wednesday (except before a long weekend) and there is always a novice group.

I have a buddy who's learning and if I get out with him I'll let you know Stogey. He too has 6 or so years on a street bike but finding the transition hard on a dirt bike. I find people with excellent mountain bike abilities excell at learning dirt.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Dirtbuddy420
Writer
Writer

Post by Dirtbuddy420 »

I think the beginner group last Wed was just riding cutlines / truck trails. Pretty tame stuff.
2008 WR450

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Dirtbuddy420 wrote:I think the beginner group last Wed was just riding cutlines / truck trails. Pretty tame stuff.
You've seen Greg ride =)

I've been trying to get him to join and go on the guided rides too.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

Welcome
I prefer the term "relaxed Ride" and we did do some singletrack last week to the point where most everyone was challenged/crashed/turned around/had fun/jumped logs/climbed rutted hills/swore/had fun.

Street bike skills do help off road, but after many years off an off road bike I really sucked. Steve-o, and Doug really helped me learn. Join the club, and come on the guided rides relaxed ride. Check out the guidelines for the minimum skills and equipment.

Oh and don't try mount Barwell for your first ride!

PS Bring your payment receipt until you are confirmed on the member list.
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

stogey
User
User

Post by stogey »

Wow thanks for all the feedback!
I do a lot of single track mountain biking so if those skills will help even a little that's great.
Nice cutlines and truck paths sound about right for me right now. I know its gonna be a whole different world out there, but I'm very excited for the challenge.
Someone also mentioned the women's Tridirt through another organization at the track so I'll give that a look too.
I'll get on getting a membership with you guys and see you on a Wednesday night very soon!
Thanks Again
Stogey

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

stogey wrote:Wow thanks for all the feedback!
I do a lot of single track mountain biking so if those skills will help even a little that's great.
Nice cutlines and truck paths sound about right for me right now. I know its gonna be a whole different world out there, but I'm very excited for the challenge.
Someone also mentioned the women's Tridirt through another organization at the track so I'll give that a look too.
I'll get on getting a membership with you guys and see you on a Wednesday night very soon!
Thanks Again
Stogey
Being a mountain biker will help you with balance and trail perception for sure. Guided rides are a hoot, try it out. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "