Another thing off my must do list.

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
xracer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Another thing off my must do list.

Post by xracer »

Hello.
As my user name suggests I am passionate about racing and motorcycles. In the seventies I did some road racing (Ontario, Quebec and Eastern USA), dirt track (Olds,Brooks and Red Deer) and one MX (Blackfoot: King Kong jump, two feet deep loam). In the eighties and nineties I drove cars in Solo II, road racing (Race City, Namao and City Centre Airport in Edmonton) and oval track. Racing cars above entry level requires a huge increase in capital and even if one was rich the law of diminishing returns becomes a factor in deciding if the money could be better spent elsewhere. I looked at returning to motorcycles when my wife Jojie expressed an interest in obtaining her motorcycle licence.

I bought a KLR 650 and used it well for it's intended purpose. I then tried a ZX-9 Ninja and took the road race school at Race City. That experience was so awesome that I wanted to race again or at least ride track days. During this time Jojie obtained her licence and our son Eric was about 3 years old so I abandoned the sport bike and bought a pair of dual sport Suzukis and began riding as a family. Eric started riding a LEM 50 at age 5. He is 12 now and rides a KTM 65. I'll let Eric and Jojie tell their own stories if they want to.

So what now? I ride in races but don't race. There are a number of reasons for this. First is safety in numbers. Next is that the trails are prepared. I can quantify my progress, fill out the field (who likes to finish third in a field of three?), ride on public land that may be otherwise inaccessible (Fallen Timber), go fast knowing that there isn't someone coming the other way (head on collisions: me 1, Eric 1, not in a race) and be there for Eric who may choose to race.

Plans for 2010? The Autoco (125 pit bike) and the KDX 220 are fitted with Best Grip studs for trail riding. I would like to ride with others from this club and will also ride at BUMP where I am comfortable riding alone. Ice Racing is a possibility if I can prepare my 450 KTM. Eric and I would both like to try Trials since we both ride in our backyard in winter. I really want to finish at Porcupine Hills XC this year. I want to try the Big Dog race at BUMP. I want to dual sport ride the West Kootenays and the Okanagan again. I may do a trail ride or a race or a dual sport ride in Ontario.

About the subject line. There was a time in my life (early eighties) when I thought I was finished with motorsports completely and I did a lot of hiking and skiing. I always wondered how riding trails on a motorcycle compared. Now that I have done it I know but I'm not going to share here. That is for discussion in person.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Another thing off my must do list.

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Welcome to the forum and to the club xracer! :applause:

D. :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Word!

I know you have found a place that shares your same passions in the intro! Awesome....welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

thanks for sharing and welcome back :D

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

mitcho
User
User

Post by mitcho »

Welcome!
back in the saddle - '03 yz 125 bushed out (or in the process of being...)