ChevMack is my name... literally

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
ChevMack
Contributor
Contributor

ChevMack is my name... literally

Post by ChevMack »

Chev Mackenzie, nice to be here. It is very late in the season, but my good friend Jason, aka satan, aka darkstroker got me into it again. As a kid, the best thing I ever had was a 1984 KDX 220. I had the priviledge of riding a 1979 YZ490 once. But other than that, it was medium rides at best. So then. Jason calls me one day and says, " I got 2 bikes, get your *** off the couch and come play". Hmm, my choices are a CRF450 or a KTM 450. At this point im a little scared. It has been 13 years since I owned that KDX. On the drive out to Mclean Creek, Jay tells me a story about some newbie who was havin a brutal time gettin started, couldnt handle the weight of the bike, tryin to mount on the high side. generally useless to the point his friend was gettin choked. I laughed about the story and added my 2 cents. Just then, my dumbass relized thats gonna be me in 17.5 mins. My laughter tapered as I bit the bullet of future embarrassment. Although I might have appeared calm on the outside, Old files were being opened from dusty corners of memory. Frantically, almost desperate, I felt for memories of the long lost lifestyle. Manerisems, old habits were not comin back to me. Oh (I can't type without swearing. The word that I used is one of GC's 7 words that you can not say on television.). Well, at least I didnt tout that I was the best. Jason will understand, hes a good friend. Right? We arrive and start to unload the gear/bikes. Jason rolls one of the bikes off his truck and gives it to me to go park. Gees I thought, as I wheeled something that couldn't possibly be powered by anything as tame as petrol. It was a bijillion pounds! Yes, thats it! Some new fuel like liquid plutonium. Im pushing a nuclear powered bike. Uh Oh... I just signed up to drive this thing. This is where the "aka satan" somes into play. Here I am, 6'0" tall, 190 pound tradesman, acting like im gonna chip a nail if im to rough with handling the bike. I was not a fan then, when satan would tell me to man up. But, to his credit, it was excactly the kick in the *** I needed. After a few struggles I was movin the nuclear power beast at 'pop the clutch and dont touch the gas' speeds. Lordy, this thing is gonna have my balls stuck in my ears by days end I thought. Again satan was there to keep my girlytude in check. Off we went. For the remainder of the day it was a battle of wuss vs. evil. I went home that evening excited. Manly. Renewed. The next morning... a bag of assholes. I felt like a bent 2x4 thats been out in the rain and sun so long its cracked and splintered. Unusable. Yet, I wanted more. The shear joyous feeling of leaving my 9-5 job behind so I could possibly hurt myself on the road to tiny triumphs, was too great. Jason had opened the child in me. I needed more.

Enter Stage II :

The very next weekend, I was livin a dream. I get to go again! All feelings of apprehension are as distant as the advil neutralized pain leftover from the prior engagment. This time would be different. I wanted to make sure by days end I could jump that fallen tree. Or climb that hill. One small snag, I'm stll trying to act cool to the now group of people. Yes, satan had russeled up 3 others to be torchered by the newb. Whilst I sit there doin my damnest to not look out of place, the pronounst trail leader says, "what kind of trails do you want to do? " Phhtt. In my head the answer was easy. I blurted out, "It dont matter." Like I am some old school champ that is so casual, anything will be a breeze. So, with my 4 hours of seat time we head toward a preposterous hill called 'the widow maker'. I didn't even bail with any style. I kinda just fell over and proceded to cuss the bike like it had something to do with it. So now i got 2 people waiting at the top for me and 2 below. i fight my butt off the stand the bike up on a hill i can barely stand on. Because of prior daftness I damn near killed the battery on the electric start. I start kickin it over not thinkin to use/not use the clutch, choke, or wot. At this point Jason is riding up to give me some much needed help. I am like 'stick a fork in me' done. The sweat is coming off me so much so, that the nano bugs on my skin im sure had to call on the federal evacuation plan. Thankfully, in a twist of retrobution. I was able to flood the bike so bad, Satan was now also rapidly deteriorating. While Jay shouted profanities so loud in his head I could hear them, I thought about the 3 gentlemen that I had blaintenly lied to at the staging area. I should have said, "you guys go have fun, I stay here and play in the parkin lot." Quite a bit of time elapsed before a full retreat was ordered. Regretfully no one told Jason until after he had spent enough energy to power Lithuania. My now proven good friend did not scurry away like one would expect. Instead, he spent the rest of the day encouraging me in the right ways like the previous ride. To my amazment, not only Jay, but the other 3 showed amazing patience as well. I had found amongst all this fun, another treasure. An animal pack metallity. No one gets left behind, no matter what. How intriguing, how humbling. Instantly accepted by perfect stangers. Contagous I thought, I must show others this. Roughly 70kms later, a few mishaps and bruises, I was getting better. Now one last hill that will take us home. As the seasoned veterans discussed whiether I was ready for this hill, Jason, green from 2 stroke fumes and nackered to the point of coma, looks at me and says,' Chev... you HAVE to do this hill.' sludge, he's right. He physically can't help. As the others look on, I see also it in their eyes. It would be prudent if I did it myself. After a little prayer, I made it to the top with great success! The cheers that awaited me at the top were more than welcome. And as a final treat for my friend, his hard work was not abused. He had coached me well. Another spectacular day. Thanks Jay.

hmmm... wtf just happened. it is now 2:30am and this was just suppose to be a hi, hows it going...

anyways, I ended up buyin a 2006 ktm 450sx today. i hope i can get some more memories like these ones before years end!

hope to meet more of you!

Chev Mackenzie

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: ChevMack is my name... literally

Post by cladoo »

Welcome Chev to the world of single track, you'll never go back.
Claude

d4rk5trok3r
Writer
Writer

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

Fanastic literary post Chev, was english your major? I believe Geoff now feels exactly the same way after this last Friday with MediumDee and Gdg530. Many adventures will follow!

Dirtbuddy420
Writer
Writer

Post by Dirtbuddy420 »

Great intro Chev!

Ha-Ha glad I could be there for "stage II" :thumbsup:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

With your gift of writing maybe you can be our next recording secretary, we do need one!
Claude

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Chev,

Glad to hear your story of getting into it. Brings back fond memories. With Jason as your friend in your future I see a) more friends, b) harder trails, c) sleeping in the truck (or as Jason calls it camping).

Look forward to meeting you on the trails and watching you ride the monster you bought.

Scott
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

Welcome aboard Chev.
It sounds like my story of one short year ago. I too was impressed by the patience of the group as I struggled and I have used that example when I ride with the new guys. My only fear is that now my 14 year old is only one gear away from leaving me in the dust on the singetrack!

Don't forget to sign up for a membership, all memberships bought before the end of 2009 include your 2010 Membership!
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Great story. Love to hear more about your adventures. :applause:

Welcome!

:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

awesome write up/introduction.

Welcome to the site/club. Looking forward to seeing you on the trails next year!