now or never

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
mitcho
User
User

now or never

Post by mitcho »

Hi everyone,

I found this group after looking through a bunch of others and it interested me the most by far.. The group rides seem really interesting as well as the hare scrambles.

Name's Mitch. A little about myself....

Used to be an avid rider (been about 15 years since i cracked a motocross throttle) in North NB. Moved out here (Calgary) around a decade ago as an instrument mechanic, got married, had a little guy and been pretty much working steady. Well, im 33 now, and over the past year as things settled down, i started thinking that i need a hobby out here. Dirt bikes were always my passion and i look back and kick myself for losing so much time not riding. well, thats life i guess...

I'm thinking this next statement may get some flack, but oh well... So i went and bought an '02 yz 125 off an old trusted mechanic friend of mine for a steal. It's practically mint (less than 30 hours total on the bike). I only weigh around a buck-60 so that will haul me around just fine. He even threw in a new rear tire, ice tires and a brand spankin' new top end. What a guy! I havent even took it out for a rip yet, it's still sitting in my buddy's garage. The wife shut the door on financing anything until we have our student loans figured, thus the older 2 stroke. She ALWAYS was the more responsible one! For me the 2's would be easier to work on than the newer 4t's and with a budget seems like a logical choice for both trail and mx although a few ktm's really are sparking my attention.

I noticed from browsing this forum that most of ya'll are sporting wide range 2 strokes or 4t's and im tending to wonder if my ride will even fit in. I figured that riding the little zinger around trails and especially hills will make me that much more a competent rider with the challenges i will face. my skill level is basically down to beginner after such a long hiatus. after a season or 2 if my body isnt in a million pieces, ill prolly be looking at something bigger in a wide range 2 stroke...possibly a 4t.

well, basically thats about it without typing a frikkin book. Hopefully i came to the right place, and i look forward to being an avid supporting member of this group if all works out. looks like you guys will be able to easily explain what i need to do in order to conform to legislation and not be a back country wrecker.

Regards and Cheers :cheers:

Mitch

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: now or never

Post by cycleworks »

Welcome! Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Welcome Mitch! You will need a headlight, taillight, spark arrestor and OHV license and insurance to ride legally in AB. You definitely will have a challenge riding a 125 around here, the climbs will be the toughest! A 200/250 would have been a better choice but you bought what you could afford. Our guided rides on Wed's would be a great place to start learning. Good luck and hope to see you on the trails or at the meetings!
Claude

mitcho
User
User

Post by mitcho »

thanks allison.

cladoo - yeah, she's gonna be a challenge through which i have no doubt. i almost grabbed a cr250 but a buddy's a buddy and i know exactly where that bike's been. I'll prolly throw a few minor mods (exaust, reeds, etc..) for some extra power but other than that, it's going to be up to me, lottsa clutch play and a running start if possible. i have no probs following up the pack until i get some practise in. Maybe over the winter, might get a bore job ie:144-167 depending on the cash flow.

any ideas where i guy can grab some lights or jerry rig some up for quick setup/teardown? im open to suggestion.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Welcome Mitch,

Grad one of those Enduro headlights that attach to the forks with the rubber straps. Then make a small battery pack to mount to the back of it. And an LED taillight.

Some guys will tell you to use a mountain bike light because they used to get away with it. Tickets are being written for those lights this year because the perception is that they will not illuminate something 60 meters ahead (legislation).

I had a couple of yz125's in the past and I loved them. It's all about maintaining momentum. :thumbsup:

mitcho
User
User

Post by mitcho »

thanks dirty,

im really looking forward to taking her out.

by any chance, do you know where can i pick up them enduro lights and the rear LED around calgary? id rather be able to change it out fairly quickly for whenever i hit the track.

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Welcome Mitch! You definitely hooked up with the right guys. I joined the group after a 30 year absense from riding and haven't looked back since. Wednesday night Guided Rides are a good start to meeting some of the Crew. Also attend the meetings, again you'll meet a lot of the gang and gain some insight into how things work in woods riding here. The technical forums are outstanding too and have saved me $100s if not thousands. All good. :cheers:

As mentioned earlier make sure you get legal before hitting the bush. In the meantime Blackfoot Motorcycle Park is a place you can go out and exercise your bike.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

mitcho
User
User

Post by mitcho »

thanks hammer,

ill be out just as soon as i get the regulatory parts to get out there... im very much pumped. man it's been awhile! kinda feeling like a kid on Christmas .

haha, ive been raping that tech forum for info.. lottsa great info there!

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

mitcho wrote:
by any chance, do you know where can i pick up them enduro lights and the rear LED around calgary? .
Go see Allison or Doug at Cycle works and tell them you saw it on the RMDRA forum.

:cheers:
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

mitcho
User
User

Post by mitcho »

DirtGirl wrote:
Go see Allison or Doug at Cycle works and tell them you saw it on the RMDRA forum.

:cheers:

Thanks Dirtgirl. Will do :thumbsup: