New season, new rider.

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New season, new rider.

Post by Bushwagon »

Good thought Brass. It would be nice to use the GPS data to know if we were on a legal single track trail, or just some line someone took through the bush. On the other hand, RMDRA does have guided rides so that's going to be a good way to get to know where to go and where not to go.

I agree with Trailguy on the fact we can't have just anyone posting GPS trails wherever they felt like riding. I used the "big map" that SRD had posted last year, and let me tell you the one from last year wasn't much use at all. So hopefully there is an improvement there this year as well.
Elwyn E
#221 30b
'18 350 XC

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Bushwagon wrote:Good thought Brass. It would be nice to use the GPS data to know if we were on a legal single track trail, or just some line someone took through the bush. On the other hand, RMDRA does have guided rides so that's going to be a good way to get to know where to go and where not to go.
If the thread was kept clean and only legitimate designated trails were posted, we (the newbies) would all be able to ride in areas that are meant and set aside by the SRD as riding areas.

Guided rides are great but they are not the answer, proper mapping is. If I was to wait for a guided ride that would suit my riding schedule I doubt I would ever get the bike out of the garage.
Bushwagon wrote: I agree with Trailguy on the fact we can't have just anyone posting GPS trails wherever they felt like riding. I used the "big map" that SRD had posted last year, and let me tell you the one from last year wasn't much use at all. So hopefully there is an improvement there this year as well.
I completely agree, we don't want people posting GPS tracks of some path they took to go from point A to point B. What we do want is posting of the designated trails.

The SRD map is useless. With active mapping by the club and its members we could have an up-to-date resource for ride planning. Again, on the designated trails. Waiting for SRD to get the GPS maps posted on the web site isn't realistic. They have a big job to do, waiting for them to get around to posting up-to-date maps just means there are more opportunities for people to ride on closed trails or areas they shouldn't be riding in.

We could very easily post, on this website, a GPS track for a newly opened designated trail, the same day it is mapped.
We could just as easily and quickly post trails closures the same day we find out it has been closed.
The voices are back. Awesome!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Okay, you may not be aware that we just lost all single track trails the the Ghost area approx 1500 Kilometers. McLean Creek could have gone the same way. We have come up with a game plan to make McLean an excellent single track riding area. This all just came down last spring, the club has $45,000 invested in McLean just in the last year - that is not a typo - $45,000. We need to stick to the game plan right now, as we have an excellent working relationship with the SRD. McLean has 100 singletrack trails, approx 55 of those are now legal trails. The GPSing can only be completed by two individals,it will be complete in spring of 2009. The Excecutive may make the GPS tracks available to club members, before SRD offers them. You won't have any trouble finding people to ride with.Make a post on the forum a few days before & response is usually very good. Dallas does a great job with the guided rides & they go every Weds.I would be happy to take you guys out myself. :thumbsup:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

You're right, I'm not aware of what's going on in the area, not just in the Ghost area, the entire area. I make no claims that I even have a clue of what has gone on in the past, what is currently on the go or what future plans are in place.

I am confused by all of this. In your earlier post you said that 90% of the trails are GPS mapped. With your last post you say that there are 55 legal trails. Meaning approximately 50 current legal trails are GPS mapped.

Based on this information, my question is this; where then is the harm in posting the GPS tracks for those 50 legal trails?

Guided rides are a great thing, but speaking for myself and only myself, it is doubtful they will work. Summer is the busiest time of year for me and my riding time will be spur of the moment at best. I'm guessing there are a lot of other people out there like myself. This is why an up-to-date trail map would be helpful.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Patience's young grass hopper, the map will most likely be available before you are legally allowed to ride Mclean Creek, and it will include GPS of all the legal trails. Trail Guy and many others are working very hard to make sure you and I don't get lost. :applause: As for your spur of the moment schedule, just post something and I'm sure you will find some one to ride with, even if it is that day. :thumbsup:

Cheers, :cheers:

Rogue
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Yes we have 50 trails GPSed at this point, but the only reason we are GPSing is on the request of the SRD as per the comittment the club made to the area. Saying waiting for the SRD to make GPS tracks available is unrealistic is completely inaccurate. We only started the GPS proccess last fall & have been scrambling to get it completed. Like I said in my post, it will be up to the RMDRA executive to decide if we make the tracks available to club members, ETC. It has been talked about, & if its cool with SRD,we may offer a package [printed map & GPS tracks] for a small fee to help with club costs at McLean.This spring all singletrack trailheads will have a motorcyles only sign put up, this will help in navigating the trail system.The new map [printed version #3] will have the 50 trails GPS tracks on it, making it more accurate.

Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bushwagon »

Trailguy, that sounds perfect. Great info in here for everyone. Hopefully all the hard work you guys and the club have put in will convince SRD that singletrack is eviromentally sound and sustainable so we can keep riding. It's going to be interesting to see how things work out this summer.
Elwyn E
#221 30b
'18 350 XC

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I can understand the enormity of the task of accurately mapping the trails and I do appreciate the effort that you and others like yourself are putting towards the completion of that task.

From my personal experience, waiting for a government agency, any government agency to post accurate information in a timely enough manner for it to be useful is virtual futility. No fault to them, they are often overworked and understaffed. That is the reason for my statement regarding waiting for the SRD to post the tracks.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Thanks Bushwagon.The SRD is well aware that we like to ride ridges & not play in the wet lands. They've personally said to me we have an easy job making our singletrack trails sustainable compared to the Quad & truck guys. They are very impressed & pleased with what the RMDRA has accomplished at McLean in 2008.In the SRD booth at the motorcycle show, they were talking up the club & telling people to get involved in the club if they ride singletrack.I believe the end result of the RMDRA effort in McLean Creek will be one of the best single track systems in North America. I never would have spent so much of my own time & money 2008 if we weren't going to get a great end result out it. :thumbsup:

DoC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DoC »

I've tried looking around but can't seem to find anything on this.

Is the GPS mapping of the single track complete yet? Is it available for DL like the Ghost one on SRD? Can the 2009 map be bought cause apparently my paper copy and my GPS map is not current (someone has pointed out to me).

So to stop me from riding closed trails by mistake (cause they are shown and labeled on my current versions) I would like to get a current one.

Thanks in advance.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Stop at the Elbow Information center. They have the new brochures there for free.

Or go to the McLean FLUZ web page on SRD web site to get the online version of the new brochure/map. The online version will be updated more frequently than the printed version.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/recreat ... ghway.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Downloadable GPS data is not currently available.