New season, new rider.

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New season, new rider.

Post by Brass »

The choices seem to be very limited for 2 stroke bikes now. With only Yamaha making a showing from the Japanese makers and KTM still producing them, am I missing someone? I have nothing against the KTM, in fact I know nothing about them. They look like a good solid machine but seem a bit pricey for something that appears, at least to me, to be on par with the Jap bike.

The oil burners are all I've every known, this DR350 that I picked up is my first 4 stroke dirt bike. I know it will not compare to the modern bikes and I have no expectation of it ripping knobs off the tires. It is showing me though that thumpers need more care and attention than the 2 stroke. That means more cost and less time to ride.

Did I just talk myself into a 2-stroke?
The voices are back. Awesome!

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Brass wrote:The choices seem to be very limited for 2 stroke bikes now. With only Yamaha making a showing from the Japanese makers and KTM still producing them, am I missing someone? I have nothing against the KTM, in fact I know nothing about them. They look like a good solid machine but seem a bit pricey for something that appears, at least to me, to be on par with the Jap bike.

The oil burners are all I've every known, this DR350 that I picked up is my first 4 stroke dirt bike. I know it will not compare to the modern bikes and I have no expectation of it ripping knobs off the tires. It is showing me though that thumpers need more care and attention than the 2 stroke. That means more cost and less time to ride.

Did I just talk myself into a 2-stroke?
Gas Gas, Husqvarna!
Claude

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Brass wrote:Did I just talk myself into a 2-stroke?
Sounds like it. I was a Yamaha fan. I had a '91 YZ250 for a lot of years. Went to the Yamaha 250F and that took me around for 5 years. The small Yamaha 250F is a bullet proof motor. Then when the 250F didn't have quite enough power (450 was way too much) I switched to the KTM 250. The reason I chose KTM is because in Alberta you need to have a headlight and taillight that can shine or be seen 60 meters away. All of the KTM 2T bikes have electrical for lights. There might be a few SX bikes that don't but otherwise they all have the electrics.

Now I'm a big KTM fan. All the parts interchange within each group (125-200, or 250/300). The only negative thing is that the sag adjustment is more critical on the KTM but I was always very particular with my sag anyway. The clutch lever only needs 1 finger and I even have electric start on my 2 stroke!

So that is one blue guy's journey to orange. :redneck:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Alot of riders are running 2 strokes in the bush around here. Keep in mind if you go with an MX bike you will need a gas tank, sprocket [ to gear it down] o-ring chain, 18" rear rim & spoke kit, re valve the forks & shock for the wet roots & rocks. No lighting coil, no kick stand either.When you facter in these mods a KTM, Gas Gas,TM or Husqavarna is a bargain, plus on the KTM 250/300 XC & XCW you get a hydraulic clutch, electric starter, chrome pipe. I don't work in the motorcycle industry, but I am working in the KTM booth all 3 days at the motorcycle show Jan. 9, 10 ,11.Come by & say hi.
Dylan :cheers:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Well, today I had the opportunity to test out the '08 wr450f with the 2moto track kit installed. A special thanks to Suzanne and Kevin for having me along for the ride. A very special thanks to Kevin for picking the bike off me when I fell over, it happened a lot, and for putting up with my arm pump. I forgot how much that can disable you.

If you haven't tried the track kit, you need to. That thing is awesome, I had a great time, and the bike is very capable in the snow and a lot of fun. A couple tips to anyone wanting to try it, don't steer it, lean it, and when you stop and go to put your foot down, remember you're foot is going to sink in the snow and your leg is always 8 inchs too short.

About the bike; again, I've been off dirt bikes for a long time so to me the bike felt like it had good power. While it doesn't rev like a 2 stroke, it does pull very well and cleanly without drama. How much of this is a result of the installed track kit I don't know. I’m sure there is a certain amount of power loss and smoothing that came from the added mass of the kit but the bike seemed to handle it well.

Maybe there is a place for 4 strokes after all, just remember to use ear plugs.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Welcome to the forum,

You will love the riding here, I found it to be a great place to get back into riding and the new two strokes are like night and day compared to the old ones. If you are looking for some tig welding, I would try Derek at Trillion industries on 2-4623 Manilla Road SE Calgary, AB T2G 4B6 (403) 243-0036. I have been making custom parts for Derek for the last year and he is the best tig welder I have ever seen, and I have seen a few. He specializes in custom motorcycles, but he is still very reasonable.

http://www.trillionindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, :cheers:

Rogue
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the info. I'll give Derek a call tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be able to weld up my case quickly. It shouldn't take long since the crack is not in a sealing area and there is no pressure on it. The previous owner had JB weld on it to seal it and it could be left that way but I just can't allow myself to do that. Spring is just around the corner now and I'd like to have all the kinks out of the motor before the snow thaws.
I also need to get into the gym and get myself back into riding form. Saturday's little ride on the WR450 proved that I need some serious work. Office life has made me soft.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

The engine case is back from Derek and I’m very satisfied with the quality of the work. Thanks Rogue for recommending him.

If anyone ever breaks a case on a rock or has a something on the inside try to come out. I can now recommend Derek of Trillion Industries based on my own experience. He only had my case for a couple days and the work was top notch.

With the case repaired I can now start to reassemble the motor and soon have some fun with it.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Hey no problem, glad he could help. Like I said he is the best tig welder I've seen, I've seen allot in my 12 year maching career.

Cheers, :cheers:

Rogue
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I'm not sure where to post this question so I'll just drop it in here and hope someone responds.

Does anyone have GPS files of the local trails? For newbies like myself that aren't familiar with the area and haven't hooked up with a ridding buddy to show us around, these could be very useful.

Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bushwagon »

Really good question Brass, I was thinking the same thing.

I know the crowsnest pass Quad Squad has posted a number of trails up on their website, and you can download the GPS tracks. I'm going to be carrying a GPS this summer and hope to be able to post some tracks of the Livingstone area around Isolation / Savanna / and Coat Creek. I'm going to try to do some of the single track in McLean too, unless someone else has already has. I think it would be an awesome resource for all of us riders. Just my .02.
Elwyn E
#221 30b
'18 350 XC

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

The club has been working on maps of trails with SRD for Mclean, Im not sure if they have been published yet, but should be soon...
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Maybe it would be worthwhile to have a thread on the forum where everyone could come and post a GPS file of various trails.

Just a thought.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

That would not be a good idea.McLean Creek has a new trail system in place which I have produced [single track trails] for the SRD. The RMDRA has been a huge part of this process & we are currently GPSing all of the trails for SRD, this is 90% complete at this point. Creating a GPS track that is not a designated trail would not look good for the club. In the future you will be able to go to the SRD website & load the GPS track onto your GPS.For 2009 there will be a large printed map available for McLean Creek trail system. :canada:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

If SRD is getting the club involved in GPSing the trails then how is it not a good idea? What am I not understanding here?

I wasn’t talking about posting GPS tracks that are nothing more than a path that someone took through the woods, I was thinking of exactly what you’re describing, GPS tracks of the designated trails.

Speaking for myself, if I was to head out on the bike today, I wouldn’t have a clue of where I could legally ride. Which could very easily mean that I would be riding an area that I shouldn't be riding in. Very damning to the sport and by default the club.

Waiting for the SRD to have a complete trail map loaded on their web site doesn’t make sense to me if these are legitimate, legal trails for us to ride on, that the club has mapped. If anything having a thread, either in the members only section or elsewhere on the site, may help to get more people using a GPS with their trail rides and speed up the mapping process.

My .02
Your mileage may very.