Hello, just moved to Calgary!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
dubious

Hello, just moved to Calgary!

Post by dubious »

We actually just moved to Chestermere.
Looking for riding buddies, or advice for riding locations.
I work shift , 1 week off, one week on, so its hard to find people able to ride in my schedule.
Any riding location / directions /advice is very much appreciated too though!
I am new to Southern Alberta, old to dirt bikes.

Currently my sole steed is a 2006 ZX14 Ninja,
I never thought a street bike would make me feel as exhilarated as a dirt bike, but this one definately has! Even stock it was.

It was on Nitrous last year, but I got tired of filling bottles! LOL
I am in midst of Turbocharging it now.
I am bummed to find out Race City is being closed down. I wanted to drag race this bike. It has a 9" stretched arm and should deliver over 400RWHP reliably.
I am doing alot of motor, and fuel system work to make it reliable. James Carliton has agreed to help me build the motor!

I have ridden for nearly all of my 37 years, last 5 dirt bikes have all been CR500's except for a 2005 YZ450F.
Last was self made CR500AF, high compression head, vforce reeds, piped and ported, pwk 39x42mm oval bored carb, braided lines, oversize rotor,scotts damper, Race tech suspension etc ... an untractable monster! It requires c-12 or minimum 102 octane, and hopefully it will go to a hillclimber. The mods really relegated it to that type of use.
I would guesstimate about 65 RWHP. Thats only 10HP more than stock, and it felt alot stronger than that. The limited expansion chamber size and shape on a bike really hampers the HP potential.

You might have guessed I am a definate HP junkie, and motorhead! LOL

Picking up new KTM 505XCF this week for myself.
Thinking of a CRF230 for my wife and daughter to share, learn on.

The bikes I ride like open spaces, long steep grades, sweepers, big rollers, whoops, and deep sand the most. I like tight trails, but not all day.
I am no pro, but definately not a an ameteur. I love adrenaline, and hate crashing, so I challenge myself within my own abilities.
I am somewhat competitive, but do have a family to feed, and a mortgage to pay, so I ride within reason. Reasonably fast! LOL
I am not out to prove anything to anyone but myself though, and cannot afford to miss work.
I like meeting new people, and riding with people who are faster than me... one never really stops learning, do we?
I might try my hand at some offroad, maybe even MX vet events next year.

Are spark arrestors and headlights mandatory in most recreational riding area's?

Are there any good riding area's east of Calgary?
If you have any suggestions for riding area's and a short discription of the types of terrain and riding that would be awesome.

Still unpacking our belongings, we just moved 2 weeks ago.
I am unsure if I will make it to the foothills before it snows, but hey I have ridden alot of that, and used to ice race too!

When does weather end the riding season around Calagary usually?
I was told the riding season can be as much as 2 months longer out east of Calagry, than in the foothills. Is it true?

If anyone has time and would rather contact me by phone, my cell is 403-850-2539
In any event , Happy Thanksgiving.

Looking forward to meeting many more friendly Southern Albertans!

Thanks
Happy Trails.
Ride fast and ride smart!
Lyle DuBois

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Hello, just moved to Calgary!

Post by cladoo »

dubious wrote:

The bikes I ride like open spaces, long steep grades, sweepers, big rollers, whoops, and deep sand the most. I like tight trails, but not all day.
I am no pro, but definately not a an ameteur. I love adrenaline, and hate crashing, so I challenge myself within my own abilities.
I am somewhat competitive, but do have a family to feed, and a mortgage to pay, so I ride within reason. Reasonably fast! LOL
I am not out to prove anything to anyone but myself though, and cannot afford to miss work.
I like meeting new people, and riding with people who are faster than me... one never really stops learning, do we?
I might try my hand at some offroad, maybe even MX vet events next year.

Are spark arrestors and headlights mandatory in most recreational riding area's?

Are there any good riding area's east of Calgary?
If you have any suggestions for riding area's and a short discription of the types of terrain and riding that would be awesome.

When does weather end the riding season around Calagary usually?
I was told the riding season can be as much as 2 months longer out east of Calagry, than in the foothills. Is it true?

Lyle DuBois
Welcome!
Headlights, tail lights, spark arrestor plus insurance and registration are mandatory for all of AB.
You will have trouble finding wide open spaces or sand on the Eastern slopes.
There are some riding areas east but I have never ridden any of them.
Most of our club riders ride on single track. mostly tight technical trails.
There are quite a few riders that ride all year and the numbers are growing.
Claude

dubious

Post by dubious »

Thanks Claude.
I guess I should have bought a 450 exc instead then... oh well.
I really enjoyed your website pics!

I am buying trelleborgs, or studded michelins for the bike too....
I love winter riding!
Maybe we can hook up for a ride some day.

Lyle

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

"Thinking of a CRF230 for my wife and daughter to share, learn on."

If your wife and daughter are new to riding...maybe pick a smaller bike. ie TTR125, Crf150, older KTM 200. Don't scare them or they will never get back on again!!!!! Oh, there are several very experienced female riders in the club that don't mind sharing the knowledge and helping to teach beginners....just an email away.

Welcome to the club.
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

My wife has a TTR-125 and has been a great starter bike.

Cheers,
Rogue
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

dubious

Post by dubious »

Thanks
Coincidentally, before reading this, I picked up a DRZ125 big wheel for them over the weekend.
I remember my first bike xr200, and I think I was much more spirited, so i thought smaller might be better for them.
I agree. I don't want to scare them, I want to share my life long passion with them!

Thanks for the offers as well.
I will give it a go first, and just might look for a lady with experience to coach my wife. :cheers:
She doesn't take instructions from her husband, or any men so well .... LOL
I still fail to understand why? LMAO :crazy:

Lyle

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Welcome.
Actually there are some awesome trails that fit your needs. Every Truck (now officially quad and bike) trail in Waiporous would meet your need.
There are so many cutline trails out there that you will be in ecstasy.
Most of us never ride that stuff so we usually do not think about it. Same story for Maclean Creek OHV area.
Just stay off singletrack and use all the "Truck" trails and you will enjoy what is around here.

:cheers: TK
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com