Looking forward to a great season!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
rescue9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rescue9 »

BigD – I installed the new exhaust, removed the air snorkel, drilled holes in the top of the air box, re-jetted (142 to 150 main, 45 to 52 pilot, moved the needle clip to the third position) and dropped one tooth on the front sprocket. I find it responds much better than stock! Check out this article I researched prior to doing the work. www.motorcycledaily.com/29feb2000.html
I feel this mod woke the bike up allowing it to rev out more freely. It is totally different than stock. So to answerer your question, yes it pulls harder :applause:

knuckle - The end cap I have on is the largest available on this model of exhaust (Yosh RS-3 Comp slip on). A week or so ago I rode ghost with couple guys from this forum and I was concerned about the loudness of my exhaust. After a day of riding I came to the conclusion that my bike was no louder than the stock exhausts on the YZ426, or the CRF 450. I was out with a guy on a XR 400 last Thursday and was only marginally louder that his stock exhaust. Over all I think it is a good balance of increased power and environmental responsibility.
04 DRZ 400

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

Jordie, I have always been surprised how loud my stock pipe is, until I found out it was designed by Yoshimura. I have friends with the same bike but different pipes (E-series FMF and Powercore) and I seem to make the most power with the stock pipe. I think the header pipe is more important than the silencer to allow the engine to breathe more. Just make sure you have a spark arrestor in the end cap and you'll be off to the races.

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

Did it get rid of the bog off the bottom end? Also does it seem to keep pulling on the top or does it sorta sign off? Just wondering why they suggested a 165, maybe that was for sea level. The 150 might still be a bit lean but I guess it depends on where your riding.

Oh I like how they said the carb it a tight fit, I totaly agree!

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

BigD wrote:Did it get rid of the bog off the bottom end? Also does it seem to keep pulling on the top or does it sorta sign off? Just wondering why they suggested a 165, maybe that was for sea level. The 150 might still be a bit lean but I guess it depends on where your riding.

Oh I like how they said the carb it a tight fit, I totaly agree!
From memory I think 150ish is about right on the DRZ at our elev around 4000-6000'. Rescue9 it sounds like you have your DRZ engine tweaked properly. Yes that FCR is very tight on the E start DRZ. The same FCR on the KTM's is a breeze to work on in comparision.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

rescue9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rescue9 »

chucker – How is the little one? Got her a bike yet :D
One of the reasons I bought this particular exhaust is because I wanted to be totally legal. So rest assured the spark arrest is staying

BigD - It did not totally get rid of the bottom end bog, but it made it a lot better. As for the top end, I find it revs out nicely. The 165 main was Yosh's recomendation at sea level. I think that would have been to rich for our elevation, in fact it might be running a bit rich now.

knuckle - This is my first DRZ. Any other recommendation or concerns I should know about?
04 DRZ 400

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

DRZ tips. If you find the forks too soft (bottoming) then add some fork oil, an addition of about 10mm is a good place to start. This fluid add maintains the DRZ's legendary plushness through the small rough stuff while improving the resistance to bottoming on the big hits. The DRZ on the stock springs wallows at higher speeds, there is no way around it on the stock setup. Contact Chris at Pro-Action if you have the money and desire to firm up your DRZ. Other than that ride away. The DRZ has a great engine and the bike overall is as tough as nails. I rode mine hard for 4 years without much fuss. You may want to file the backside of your shift lever smooth as it can punch through the ultra thin side cases quite easily if you dump the bike.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

rescue9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rescue9 »

thanks for the tips :cheers:
04 DRZ 400

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

Rescue9, she's doing great! 10 days old today, lifting her head by herself and sitting up, very strong. I have an old Honda Trail 50 I restored years ago waiting for her in my basement.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

chucker wrote:Rescue9, she's doing great! 10 days old today, lifting her head by herself and sitting up, very strong. I have an old Honda Trail 50 I restored years ago waiting for her in my basement.
NICE!!!!! :D
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

:applause:
Our daughter had a bike at 5months old and will be ready to ride it in about a month. She will be 19months old then.
:easter:
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w