Nother Noob

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Muz7

Nother Noob

Post by Muz7 »

hey gang

Been lurking on the site for a couple of weeks and figured I'd join.
Currently in the market for my first dirt bike. Own a '81 Honda CB900 street bike, but have always wanted to give dirt biking a try.
Any recommendations on a good first ride? I been lookin at the DRZ400, any comments about it are appreciated. I'm 6'1" 215.

Great site by the way! Hope to get out to a few meets this summer.

Muz

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

welcome aboard, sell the street bike and buy yourself a WR or CRFX!!!! Lighter than a DRZ and lots more room to grow.

Muz7

Post by Muz7 »

thanks dude...but my budget is a bit too small for one of them fancy bikes. Besides, i'll probably spend a lot of time dumping it at first! I'm thinking about a bike 4 or 5 years old, <$3000...would a KDX be a good bet?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Welcome Muz!

I think a KDX would be a great machine. Those things can ride some serious trails and are back country legal. I'm thinking of the 2 stroke version. Maybe a 220 or 250.

:cheers:

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

Hey other newbie!

I'm also a big critter. 6'2"+ and always 220lbs or better (these days....don't ask). :crybaby:

Had an '87 KDX200 for years (last year of the aircooled version as far as I know). Fantastic bike. I also raced open class 2-stokes for years prior to that and rode everything else in between, and smaller, along with a good batch of street bikes. :blah:

If you are new to the dirt, a well kept smaller 2-stroke is a can't miss great bike for you. The KDX200 I had was loved by everyone who rode it and especially by less experienced riders. I nabbed trophies in over-the-hill MX on it :thumbsup: as well as high finishes on that same model (borrowed & older) in XC. The little bugger will rip pretty well if you want it to. :applause:

I'm guessing the 220cc version of the KDX would be a super sweet playbike (or racebike), capable of winning if you can use all of it, and so nicely mannered that anyone would love it as a starter dirt bike. :smirk:

I presently have a new '06 DRZ400S full on dual-sport Suzuki because I needed something fully street legal that could reasonably fake it as a dirt bike. :excuse: I've ridden it some, do like it, & am busy fixing lots of the machine to make it better off-road. However, if I had a choice between the '87 KDX200 and the bike I have now, for purely off-road riding...it'd be the KDX all the way. (plus, my daughter could ride that bike when she was 12....I'm not sure I could have ridden this new bike I have now when "I" was 12)

Over biking yourself (getting on a machine that is way ahead of your ability to use it) is a real buzz killer when you are trying to learn to dirt ride. :banghead: You learn the skills and techniques much faster on a bike you can dominate (as opposed to the bike dominating the rider). As your skills develop, you will know when it's time to swap up as you will be trying to do things on a regular basis that the bike cannot. That is a good day!! :banana:

BTW, I'm not telling you to by a 20 year old 2-stroke! Just pointing out, that unless your desires and skills demand it, you don't need (or even want) the hottest current machine to have a massive amount of fun offroad. I'd get a non-MX, 250cc bike or smaller for any first time offroad rider. Gear it down a bit if you're bigger than average...very, very few folks make use of all the top end offraod anyway...unless they are just cruising on the roads between campgrounds.

P.S. Your CB900 is a very nice, unsung, capable older street bike. Not many like it around these days. Hope to see you out in the mud somewhere this year!!! (I'll be the guy on the dirtified, semi-street bike with 4 other guys trying to help me pry the lumbering tank out of the muskeg) :bonk:
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S
Goals: Start a race in 2012;Roost Fryguy;Wheelie in 6th;Beer

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

Welcome! There's a guy that has a WR250 on here that would be a great starter bike! Check the classifieds on this site :cheers:
1995 WR250 $2500

tkring
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tkring »

I'm the guy with the 1995 Yamaha WR250. It is a good bike. The only reason that I am selling it is because I bought a newer bike. Last summer I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to give this dirtbiking a try. I bought this one because it is older and cheaper. When I fall down with it I don't care. I did do some things to it. I put a new FMF Fatty Pipe on it, new chain guide, new front number plate, and new front fender. I only have about 2 rides on the new pipe. So it has absolutely no dents in it. It runs great and me being a beginner as well last summer I had a blast on it. If you want to take a look at it you can go to: www.bikepics.com/pictures/775472/

Let me know if you are interested.

Travis

Muz7

Post by Muz7 »

Thanks guys.

Travis, I'll keep you in mind. I'm out of town on biz for most of February but once I get back I'll be in bike-buying mode, will give you a ping.

Anyone got any tips on good places to buy gear? Any shops have spring sales on stuff?

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

gear

Post by DirtGirl »

A couple of guys you can contact are Doug with DirtTV or Daryl at WestTech (and the shops of course). Can also see Doug at Cycle Works on Tues/Thurs.
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w