If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
andrew54

Post by andrew54 »

I am looking to get into riding dirtbikes. Currently I race a yamaha r6 but I am thinking of getting a dirt bike to play around with. Some of my road racing friends have said that riding off road improved their lap times at the track.
I was wondering what kind of bike should I be looking for. I will only be doing trail riding. I live in Millarville, so it is not very far to Maclean Creek. I assume that for example a yamaha wr would be more suited to what I need then a yz. Also how much of a difference is there between a 250f and a 450f.
Thanks for your answers.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Welcome Andrew,

A WR, XCW, EC, KLX or one like that would be best. I'm a small guy and like the 250 but the 450 will be much better at hills and such. If you think you can handle the horsepower, the 450 will work well.

Cheers.. :santa:

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Welcome Andrew,
I started back last year on a WR450 and had a blast in McLean and other areas. The power of the 450 allowed me to catch up quick in the off-road skills department. Reliable too! The tech support from RMDRA members was invaluable when it came to specifying and installing the after-market mods needed for riding this part of the world. You'll also find lots of riding partners through this forum! :cheers:
Gord
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Hey, personally go with whatyou feel motocross bikes are set differnt and there are no power restrictions unlike the klx, wr ect... It just depends on your style of riding. If it were me buying a new bike probally a yz450 or a yz 250 2 stroke like dirt boy said, the 450 will help on the hills

Rob
:cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

tkring
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tkring »

I have a 1995 WR250 for sale. It is a great bike. If you are interested drop me a line. You can see a pic of it at: www.bikepics.com/pictures/775472/

It is reliable and reasonably priced.

tkring@telusplanet.net

Travis

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Ok, so I'm not a moderator (yet), and apologies in advance if I sound like an a-hole, but a quick look shows that you have mentioned your bike for sale in at least 6 different places on this forum. I think everybody here knows that you have a WR250 for sale. Can we move on?

[Hijack Mode off]

Welcome Andrew and good luck with finding a new bike. The people on this forum can answer any questions you may have about just about any bike.

tkring
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tkring »

cedric wrote:Ok, so I'm not a moderator (yet), and apologies in advance if I sound like an a-hole, but a quick look shows that you have mentioned your bike for sale in at least 6 different places on this forum. I think everybody here knows that you have a WR250 for sale. Can we move on?

[Hijack Mode off]

Welcome Andrew and good luck with finding a new bike. The people on this forum can answer any questions you may have about just about any bike.

Apologies

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

No worries, sorry I had to be the a-hole. The bike looks pretty good, and hey, free bumps.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

cedric wrote:Ok, so I'm not a moderator (yet)
Is that a job application? By the looks of your new avatar I'm not sure whether you are hard working or obsessive and compulsive. :D

My girls were ROTFL at your Avatar since I hid it with my hand until the beginning started up. :D

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

dirtyboy wrote:Is that a job application?
I'm not sure I need any more (any) responsibilities, but I do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on this site anyway. My new avatar cracks me up every time I see it. Just another day at the office...