Hello

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Hoolitard

Hello

Post by Hoolitard »

Hello all,

Decided to join RMDRA at the suggestion of some fellow riders. I've been riding a lot of Supermoto around Calgary but recently sold my DRZ in favour of a 17 KTM 450 excf. I've been out to McLean a dozen or so times, but always with people who know where to go. I decided it's time to educate myself on McLean riding, and figured there's no better place than here! Looking forward to joining some group rides and learning the trails much better

Cheers!

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Hello

Post by boogle2 »

Welcome.

If you find yourself looking for a little more power on the EXCF - apparently there is 12 hp to gain through a few mods. Out of the crate they are supposed to have 39 hp and by removing the reed cage in the air boot, swapping the exhaust out for the SX-F exhaust, and then adding a tuner box to correct the lean fuelling, it bumps it up to 52 hp which is nuts. Apparently almost exactly as powerful as the SX-F, just a little lower rev limiter.

Just some food for thought.

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

welcome!

Hey boogle I read your comment and I was wondering how often does one want to add more hp to a 450 in the woods? thats sounds a little nutty to me haha. I guess some people have some really big... you know... hands, I don't think I could hold on to all that.
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

Haha, I hear ya, but don't be fooled just cause its called a 450. 39 hp is less than a new 250 MX bike has stock. Which in the woods was never enough for me and my fat butt. Steep hill climbs could be a struggle, and wasn't always the easiest to lift the front end over obstacles unless I was using perfect technique (which I don't have).

52 is more than a guy needs, but I'd always rather tame down power with a map switch or gearing than be looking for more.

Plus since it's an EXC I imagine he is dual sporting it. And 39 hp on the street isn't going to blow anyones skirt up.

Hoolitard

Post by Hoolitard »

It's already had all the mods done, including Euro off-road competition mapping done by A&E. It's pretty tame to ride for 50+ hp, surprisingly, as the power delivery is pretty linear low in the RPMs until you hit about 4K.