Getting Started

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Petard
User
User

Getting Started

Post by Petard »

I bought a Yamaha TT-R230 on the weekend and I expect to receive it in the next couple of days. I just called the shop and will have lights put on, instead of getting a bicycle light (pending cost estimate). 31 May looks iffy :confused: I have ridden a (Yamaha) cruiser for 15 years and, while I love it, all of those roads off to the side have been inaccessible :crazy: I like to explore natural areas off the beaten (paved) track and am looking forward to learning the skills and getting to know people into dirt biking :thumbsup:

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Getting Started

Post by RJHenry »

Welcome! A great place to start is to Join - http://rockymountaindirtriders.com/membership.shtml and then come to club nights on Wednesdays!

This week is single track Beginner Night - we schedule a couple a year - and would be an excellent place to start your transition from street to dirt.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12982

Hope to see you out there!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Petard
User
User

Post by Petard »

Do I need to join RMDR to attend the weekly club nights? I had intended to attend a few club nights before joining.

Yes, this week's club night is exactly what I need! I was led to understand that the riders are split into sub-groups according to skill level every night: is this the deal?

Unfortunately, I think it is pretty iffy that I get my bike in time for Wednesday's meet, as I need to take my mother to the dentist in the afternoon. By the time I get home, it will be too late to pick up the bike and make it out to Maclean Creek. 7 June I have no prior obligations, so I'm definitely planning to be out there then (unless it pours)! I want to learn together with some other riders.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Petard wrote:Do I need to join RMDR to attend the weekly club nights? I had intended to attend a few club nights before joining.

Yes, this week's club night is exactly what I need! I was led to understand that the riders are split into sub-groups according to skill level every night: is this the deal?

Unfortunately, I think it is pretty iffy that I get my bike in time for Wednesday's meet, as I need to take my mother to the dentist in the afternoon. By the time I get home, it will be too late to pick up the bike and make it out to Maclean Creek. 7 June I have no prior obligations, so I'm definitely planning to be out there then (unless it pours)! I want to learn together with some other riders.
Yes, you need to join to participate. Memberships are not sold at the club night rides, so be sure to join in advance. Click the Join link in the top right-hand corner of this page. :D

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Petard wrote:Yes, this week's club night is exactly what I need! I was led to understand that the riders are split into sub-groups according to skill level every night: is this the deal?
Yes, we generally divide into Relaxed, Moderate, and Advanced. The biggest difference between relaxed and moderate is the attitude - the terrain and trail choices are similar... there isn't much "easy" trail at McLean.

Here is an excerpt from the Club Night FAQ visible here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9564
Relaxed Group - A slower paced ride with lots of opportunities for learning. Navigators will train riders in trail etiquette, riding obstacles, and trail repair. Rests will be frequent, and at places where training will occur.

Intermediate Group - A medium paced ride with less frequent training/stops. Group members should know how to ride most obstacles with minimal impact, and repair most trail issues. These people should know when and how to use their throttle, a saw or a shovel.

Advanced Group - A fast paced ride where all members are qualified to ride hard sections of trail without getting hung up, and can repair any trail issues they may encounter. There should be a minimum of stops on this ride, and riders can effectively get to distant trails for specific repairs if needed.
It is generally our goal to keep groups smaller in order to avoid waiting - 5-7 works fine, 12-14 is usually a trainwreck. This sometimes allows a split into "fast relaxed" and "slow relaxed" when the attendance grows. This means we can always use more navigators!! You don't have to ride with an "S" on your chest, just know your way around a bit and how to count to 5-7 at major intersections. We will offer training for the rest :D
Navigator - Anyone given specific training on riding obstacles, trail maintenance, choosing specific trail loops, and ride etiquette. Navigators conduct on trail training sessions.
One item of note - first time to club night means you should go with a relaxed group. Lots of skilled riders have been humbled :blush: by their first outing at McLean Creek, and it is much easier to get your feet wet rather than get in over your head. If you crush it on your first night, your navigator will encourage you to jump up to a moderate ride next week. :cheers:
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Petard
User
User

Post by Petard »

OK, thanks, guys. I will join online today.

I still haven't gotten my bike. I expected it to be ready yesterday, so I will be giving them a reminder call today :eek: I hope my bike is built for some beating, but I like to err on the side of a long and healthy life. That means learning and experience. I have put a lot of money into this, even though I've never ridden a dirt bike before :crazy: I commit to work and play over the long duration.

I'll definitely be going with the relaxed group the first few times :smirk: See you guys on Wednesday. I hope the weather is great.

I'm not sure what I need to wear. I bought a full set of gear from head to toe, including the safety items recommended here, but the thin pants and jersey look to be a bit light for evening riding. The guys in the store said riding is hard work and that's all I would need. What do you guys wear?

Petard
User
User

Post by Petard »

Dammit :nworthy: I saw the Visa and MasterCard logos a couple of days ago, so I thought I could join online. I just clicked the link and there is no way to pay, except via Pay Pal. I cancelled my Pay Pal account a few years ago and I don't want another one.

Is there some way I can pay by credit card? Or just deliver the money in person, even? Otherwise, I will mail the cheque, as indicated, but I cannot promise that it will arrive by Wednesday.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Petard wrote:Dammit :nworthy: I saw the Visa and MasterCard logos a couple of days ago, so I thought I could join online. I just clicked the link and there is no way to pay, except via Pay Pal. I cancelled my Pay Pal account a few years ago and I don't want another one.

Is there some way I can pay by credit card? Or just deliver the money in person, even? Otherwise, I will mail the cheque, as indicated, but I cannot promise that it will arrive by Wednesday.
We don't have any events coming up where you could pay in person. You may be able to pay via pay pal as a guest.

Another option is by mail. If you would like to pay by mail you can print off the membership form on the "join" page and attach a cheque or cash. Take a picture of the form after you fill it out and email it to me to avoid the wait members@rockymountaindirtriders.com
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Petard
User
User

Post by Petard »

"Take a picture of the form after you fill it out and email it to me to avoid the wait members@rockymountaindirtriders.com"

I did that and sent it to you this afternoon, just after posting the paper copy with a cheque in the mail. I hope you got it :cheers: