Hi from Medicine Hat!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Superwilly
User
User

Hi from Medicine Hat!

Post by Superwilly »

Hi all, I'm from Medicine Hat, and new to dirt biking. I've lived in the Hat for a couple of years, and I'm finding out that it's really a shame that I wasn't dirt riding when I lived in Cranbrook for 4 years. Ouch!

I'm starting out on an old bike, a KDX200, while I get the hang of things, then I'll move on to something newer and more powerful. My younger brother and father-in-law have also bought bikes.

In reading the forums, it seems perhaps a couple of members are from the Hat, or have knowledge of that area. Is there any decent riding around here? Is there a local dirt riding association - any contact info?

I think I'm headed to Koocanusa for the Sept long weekend, never been there riding, but I hear its good. That weekend may be stupid busy - perhaps we should go the week after?

I'm looking forward future discussion on this board!

-Superwilly

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Welcome to the board. KDX is a great bike. Hopefully some of the Hat folks will pipe up. They can be shy at times. :blush: :D

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Welcome to the club. One of the big reasons I left the Hat was due to nowhere to ride (oh and that whole work thing). Med Hat does still have a motorcycle club and Neil Stock is heading it up. The City gave up some land for a track again but the issue now is securing insurance. As far as I know right now the only riding is Taber, Brooks, or some illegal spots along the river valleys. RiderX is from the Hat and him and his son do some day trips. Might be worth trying to hook up with them. He is on the forum periodically.

PS: Mclean Creek is only 2.5 hrs from the Tims in Redcliff at 130km/hr :excuse:

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

Hey SuperWilly how's it going???
As you may have found out the riding around the Hat is almost not there.
Insurance issues are holding back even moving any dirt on the new motocross site and riding on any of the grazing reserves along the river is being cracked down on.
Lots of guys seem to be riding but mainly on land of friends or connections that will let them on.
Most will not(can you blame them??) tell for fear of everyone finding out about it.
Brooks,Taber and even Oyen have moto tracks if that's what your are into.
We used to ride Porky's alot,staging out of the Beaver Creek campground.
It's about a 3 hour drive and you are riding,only been there once this year.
Taber also has some land down by the river(NW of town) that used to get ridden alot,don't know if you can anymore though.
It's too bad you missed the riding we had before the city shut us down.
Lots of trails along the river,hill climbing and the moto track.
Sure wish we still could ride there!! :banghead:
Any questions give me a shout!
Rod
2009 KTM 530EXC

bigdaub
User
User

Post by bigdaub »

ya you can still ride at taber - i ride there quite a bit, everyone calls it "the dump". the track is fun as well