Hello - New to RMDRA and Dirt

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Metastable
User
User

Hello - New to RMDRA and Dirt

Post by Metastable »

Hello, the wife and I signed up at the bike show. We are dirt newbies and have done some riding last summer.

Although a newbie to dirt, I have been riding the paved tracks since 2001..... but the dirt.... or should I say rocks.... make things a touch harder. :D

Hope to ride with you guys/gals this summer.

Cheers!

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Hello - New to RMDRA and Dirt

Post by timbruce »

Welcome to the club, you will no doubt find some other like minded riders :D

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Welcome to the Club! :cheers:

Lots of great people and resources around here to help your transition to the dirt.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

Welcome to the club!

We will be having a club camp-out at Lake Koocanusa on Easter weekend. This is a great time to meet a lot of members(and the lady riders too). Kooc is also a great spot to start the year as the riding is much less technical.

Alternatively we have weekly rides on Wednesday evenings for the duration of the summer.

Braaap!
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

Metastable
User
User

Post by Metastable »

Thanks guys. When you say Camp-Out at Koocanusa, is it on the Canuck side or Montana side? Also - do you guys actually set up a tent, or are we talking enclosed trailers? :D While we're at it.... I will be needing a new rear tire sometime soon. Any suggestions where to buy a rear tire around here? I should be able to install it at a friend's house. Also suggestions for a specific tire? .... We usually ride at McLean or Waiparous .... so lots of rocks... my bike is not street legal, so don't need a dual-sport tire. How about a Dunlop AT81 RC rear? I will most likely do the front while I'm at it.

suggestions welcome - cheers!

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

We camp on the Canadian side. :canada: There will be a lot of trailers, but some bring a tent. Some even (Mike) sleep in the back of their truck and if he drinks enough sometimes under it! :lol:

Tires are a personal choice. There are threads on this already. I like the IRC M5B or even a Golden Tyre. There will also be spring "club' sales at a few local dealers so stay tuned for deals to come.
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Hello. My name is Ben. I am new to RMDRA. I Moved to Calgary form the UK in the summer 2013 and learned to ride last year on my Yamaha YZ450f. Im really looking forward to picking up some moor tips on riding. I spent all my time riding Mclean Creek and I'm eager to Find new places to ride and people to ride with (as my mate who i usually ride with cancels at the last minute because he is still drunk from the night before!) I am also looking for a bike for my wife who is 5'ft 2" and a half if anyone has something or knows of something for sale that would be suitable. Thanks. Ben.

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

Metastable wrote:Thanks guys. When you say Camp-Out at Koocanusa, is it on the Canuck side or Montana side? Also - do you guys actually set up a tent, or are we talking enclosed trailers? :D While we're at it.... I will be needing a new rear tire sometime soon. Any suggestions where to buy a rear tire around here? I should be able to install it at a friend's house. Also suggestions for a specific tire? .... We usually ride at McLean or Waiparous .... so lots of rocks... my bike is not street legal, so don't need a dual-sport tire. How about a Dunlop AT81 RC rear? I will most likely do the front while I'm at it.

suggestions welcome - cheers!
Welcome to the club!

As for tires the AT81 is a good tire but don't get the RC (Reinforced Carcass) as that tire is way too stiff and since the riding here is lots of second gear tight single track with lots of rocks and roots, lower tire pressure with flexible tires to maintain traction the IRC M5B, AT81 and S12XC Michelin still work the best around these parts.

There will always be other tires that work well but those three tires account for 90% of our sales in that order from customer feedback and also all the racers we support.

Enjoy the ride!!!
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

I find kook more wide open and faster riding I bump my pressures up from 10 and 8 to 12 and 12.and I find kook the only place I'm guaranteed a flat tire every weekend .all pinch flats with ultra heavy duty tubes.

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

Dean do the 2015 at81 tires on the Austrian bikes come with the reinforced carcass?

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

BigBen wrote:Hello. My name is Ben. I am new to RMDRA. I Moved to Calgary form the UK in the summer 2013 and learned to ride last year on my Yamaha YZ450f. Im really looking forward to picking up some moor tips on riding. I spent all my time riding Mclean Creek and I'm eager to Find new places to ride and people to ride with (as my mate who i usually ride with cancels at the last minute because he is still drunk from the night before!) I am also looking for a bike for my wife who is 5'ft 2" and a half if anyone has something or knows of something for sale that would be suitable. Thanks. Ben.
Welcome Ben!

If your wife is brand new to dirt, I would steer her to a CRF125F or TTR125 - in both cases the big wheel will do better on the trail. The Hondas came out in 2014 so used TTRs will be easier to find. Try to get her electric start - I am not sure early year TTRs had it.

I would avoid the CRF150F as it is only electric start, always has a dead battery, and is HEAVY. My wife started there and did OK (she is 5'7") but her riding really improved on the lighter 125.

Post or PM if you have any questions at all!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

ttwest wrote:Dean do the 2015 at81 tires on the Austrian bikes come with the reinforced carcass?
Standard carcass
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Metastable
User
User

Post by Metastable »

Thanks for that Dean!

Ben - My wife is 5ft and not much more. She fits the TTR125 nicely. The good thing about the TTR 125 is that it has an electric start, but also a kick start. It's a great little bike for her.