buying a bike in Alberta

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
Andoskim

buying a bike in Alberta

Post by Andoskim »

Hey guys new to the Calgary area.

I have a mtb dh race and moto trials back ground.
Looking to get a bigger bike. ktm xcw 250 300 or even a 350xcf.....

Buying used
When buying a bike in Alberta are there any "papers" associated with this transaction for proof of ownership or clear title? or is it simply cash swapping hands?

Insurance for off road use

I see that you need some form of plate here (plan to ride mostly in Maclean Creek area.) and lights?
What is needed? proof of insurance? a plate for every bike? is it needed for all areas of crown land or everywhere (except the track?)

When you registrar what is needed? again my trials bike has nothing so I just self declare the brand year ect?

Trials
Also are there any good tech areas or recommended spots for trials around here (other than the track)?

Thanks

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: buying a bike in Alberta

Post by giantjoe »

Registration and insurance is the same as a car. :( Your bike needs to have a plate mounted on it, a reasonably quiet muffler with a spark arrestor, a headlight that illuminates 60m in front of you and a taillight that is visible from 60m behind you. You won't need to prove any of that to get insurance or registration, but it is the legal requirement and you may get ticketed if ever see a conservation officer on the trails. Do a search on insurance on the forums here as there are lots of threads that address where you should get it. My insurance company won't insure motorcycles unless you have a motorcycle license, even if it's for off road use. :confused:

When you buy a bike, get a bill of sale from the owner that has the VIN or some other specific identifier, and that's all you need to get insurance which you must have before you can register anything, and finally registration.

If you want a dual sport, you need to absolutely make sure the previous registration does not say OHV on it or it will be a pain. You may be required to prove lights, signal lights etc for a dual sport classification.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

P.S. if you're looking for people to ride with, this is the right place. There are even a few people around here that ride trials bikes...

Second Gear Club is more active in the trials type stuff.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Alberta Trials Riders Association also puts on trials but generally from Rocky Mountain House and a north from there. Great bunch of guys and great trials. As Joe mentions, SGC does trials with most of their off-road events and focuses closer to Calgary. The SGC historically has 3-5 additional trial events held outside the off-road schedule. Monitoring Dave Rhodes' blog at Outlaw Trials is a good idea as he keeps his ear to the ground on all the Western Canadian trials events plus helps to organize a few trials on his own. His trials are typically more epic in nature and worth the travel to join.

If you want to ride your trials bike on non-private land, you'll need registration and a plate. You'll need a bill of sale to register it. You'll need the original NVIS if the bike hasn't been registered. If you don't have either of those, you'll need to prepare to be patient with your local registry and just work the problem until you're done.

Andoskim

Post by Andoskim »

Awesome guys thanks

Yeah my trials bike has nothing so will see what i can do.....how much is the fine? Lol

As for the pending new moto will be off road only not a dual there giant. But will buy an Alberta bike hopefully it will be easier to reg

I know dave there bark thanks for the notes. Will look at some trials comps next year was just curious if there were some good spots that favour the teck that trials can ride.....Like rocks and steep sections. Will look around.