Looking for other Riding / Camping families

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
WilkRider
User
User

Looking for other Riding / Camping families

Post by WilkRider »

Hello Club Members,

We lived in BC and moved to Airdrie a little more than 1.5 years ago.
We are a family of four, Dad is 49, Mom is 50 with two twin boys, age 11. All young at heart and easy going.

We have all (Dad, Mom and the boys) been riding now for about 4 years, so somewhat new to the sport, but we love it. Had quads previously. We use to do a lot of dry land camping and riding out in BC with friends. Looking for the same types of places to ride and camp in Alberta. I have a few ideas from being out hunting. Seen some great looking spots. So will start there i guess.

Just waiting for a few bike parts to come in and we'll be ready to ride in a couple weeks. With most of the snow gone (hopefully) we are looking forward to getting out and riding.

I fix our own bikes. Just doing the top end on Mom's bike and we be ready to go.

Our kids tend to have more fun when there are other kids around riding and to play with between rides. Therefore, we thought this might be great place to meet some other families with similar interests. Have bought our Annual Membership, just waiting for GUEST status to switch to MEMBER.

Maybe start with some day rides. Check things out and maybe plan some camping weekends. We love camping!

Would like to get out to a few meetings and Club Nights as well.

We look forward to meeting you all and doing some riding !

Kev

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Looking for other Riding / Camping families

Post by Bark »

Hi,

Will get to your application Saturday morning. For any other info, please see the following post.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Aaron

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Welcome Kev.

Although we have never met, I'm somewhat worried about the health of your relationship. If I were to mention my wife's age in a public forum I might be looking for a new place to sleep. And for the record my wife is in her mid 20's (and has been for more than a decade).

I think you guys would benefit from joining the crew for Easter at Kooc where we could discuss the subtleties of discussing your wife's age.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I only refer to Angela as Ageless and Timeless. Don't forget to capitalize the first letters of those two words...
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

NoPlan
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by NoPlan »

Welcome to the crew! and yeh Katie is 20 forever. i concurr with the boys haha

WilkRider
User
User

Post by WilkRider »

Haha, Ya, she's OK with that... cause she looks like she's 35 and VERY, VERY proud of that.
People do not believe her when SHE tells them how old she actually is.

So, we're healthy there... haha ... its all good.

Then they look at me and say ... ya, your 50 but she's not, what happened to you ! haha :)

We would love to come down to Koocanusa and ride for Easter weekend. We have been wanting to go down there for a while. Just don't know the area. I imagine your are south of the Baines Lake area on the east side. Looks like great riding in there. Have seen bikes running along trials along the shore line from the boat. Looks like fun. Just have never taken the bikes down there.

However, Easter is all booked up with out of town company coming.

I was told you have three camping weekends planned.
Easter Weekend - we are booked
Canada Day Weekend - Is my 50th birthday party that weekend in BC. A bunch of going riding for 5 days. Likely 6 families or more. Should be great.
September long Weekend - that one might work. But then missed everyone from RMDRA earlier in the year.

Do you always hold these camping events on long weekends? I would be all over any other weekends if anyone else was interested in going camping and riding somewhere.

South of Blairmore
Fallen Timber
Nordeg area
West of Sundre
West of Caroline

All areas that we want to check out. Within about 1.5 to 3 hours from Calgary.

Just would be fun too have someone else to go with. The kids always say, "I'm bored!" when we head out as just our family. So looking for other families to ride and camp with. Haha, Other families (friends) won't camp with us anymore when we take the bikes as they do not have bikes and it ends up in a fight for the next three weeks and their kids, as their kids all want bikes after that. LOL So they won't come anymore..... or... we leave the bikes at home :(

We prefer dry camping with no neighbours for a long ways away, other than the group we are with. Got spoiled in BC.
However, we will do campgrounds from time to time, and I hear some campgrounds let you ride right out from your site. Nice!
Need to find those. I think Fallen Timber is like that.

We can often head out Thursday night and make a long weekend of it anyways.

Going to get out on Wednesday's Club Night and learn more about McLean Creek. Only been there once. Looks like fun and close to home.

Guess we'll see you there first. When does that start up ?

Oh! Got to put my bike back together first ! haha Good to go in two weeks, waiting on part.

Kev

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Actually the third RMDRA weekend is usually Thanksgiving at Koocanusa, September Long will be the CMRC race at Crowsnest Pass.

We have a 10 year old and a 7 year old, both riding for their fourth year. I see more and more kids coming out of the woodwork, not too many teenagers active in RMDRA but lots of kids coming up.

Many of us family guys also race the CMRC series, there are kids classes and a lot of families have three or four racers. B classes and Kids racing is pretty laid back, but it will make you and your kids better riders really fast! We have made lots of friends in the series and after 7 or 8 weekends together you know people pretty well!

If racing isn't in the cards, once summer comes just post your plans (or desire for plans) on the forum and see who is available - it is a bigger commitment than a day ride, but it takes all kinds of kinds!

Hope we get to ride together!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

WilkRider
User
User

Post by WilkRider »

One of my boys is really interested in racing. The other no so interested, but you never know. Motocross, cross country not on the track. Has a friend in BC that has started that last year. They were up in the West of Sundre area for a race last year. Not exactly sure what that racing style is called.

Don't know much about it. It was pretty easy going for beginners so they had a blast. There were different levels. Even myself or my wife are kinda interested.

Thought i would look into it. Need to find out what group it was that put that on. Seems that was Sept long last year.

Does RMDRA put these on throughout the year or are those other organizations ?

Heard there is a number of them in the Porcupine Hills area. Not sure who sets those up either.

Camping is just around the corner. Just about have all the bikes ready to go. Just one more to finish up. Have to track down an air leak that is messing with my tuning one of the kid's bikes.

Has anyone been up the Fallen Timber area to see how dry it is, or still snow.
Never run out of talent and real estate at the same time.....

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Wilkrider:

The first race of the year is a cross country at Porcupine Hills on May long, and a hare scramble is held there mid June. The promoters do excellent races there but if it rains it will be a VERY long day for new racers (and for slow guys like me). Ensure you have a new tire!

RMDRA hosts one race in the CMRC series in mid August at Fallen Timber.
http://albertamotorsportsassociation.we ... dule1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The race east of Sundre was likely a CMA race run by Second Gear Club.
http://www.secondgearclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are two threads to read that cover many questions.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10298&p=73977&hilit=cma#p73977
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10418&p=74226&hilit=cma#p74226
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

WilkRider
User
User

Post by WilkRider »

May long is out as we are in BC.

But mid June could work. I will look into that.

Yes, Sundre was the Second Gear Club.

Mid August in Fallen Timber could work as well.

I will look into those. Thanks for the links.

Kev.
Never run out of talent and real estate at the same time.....