Porkies XC

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Porkies XC

Post by erniebearskin »

Hello RMDRA'ers, I am planning on trying my first XC this weekend at Porkies. This will also be my first CMRC event, where can I get details, on sign in, directions, times etc.

Also would love to hear from fello racers on what to expect at this race technically, loops, fuelling etc etc. I completed two CMA Hare Scrambles last year and had a blast, looking forward to the challenge of a 100kM race! I am a novice racer and have entered 30B for CMRC :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.
Bikeless....

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Porkies XC

Post by Shibby! »

Being a rookie racer myself, I believe you can find most info on their webpage... (google CMRC)

Otherwise at the rider meeting you can probably get the info on loop length, gas stops, etc. I believe the 'Bergs have big tanks so you're better suited than those without. From what I heard Porkies appears to be one of the more fun races of the year.

I may be lining up beside you in the 30B class as well.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Cool.

I'm on the website and cant find anything re directions, sign in times etc.
Bikeless....

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cberg77 »

If you go onto the Alberta Motorsports Association website you will find the info your looking for.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Wicked, thanks.

Anyone have any pointers for a rookie attempting his first xc? Other than bring lots of water and start hydrating the night before.
Bikeless....

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

erniebearskin wrote:Wicked, thanks.

Anyone have any pointers for a rookie attempting his first xc? Other than bring lots of water and start hydrating the night before.

Without being a seasoned racer, I could point out the obvious and say pace yourself. Plenty of guys can be fast, but being fast through all sections and without stopping will get you much, much further ahead. I'm sure you'll see guys who whip by you only to see them wrapped around a tree a few minutes later.

From the few races Ive done, keep an eye on the ribbons. I've made my fair share of wrong turns, or missed turns.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I really wanted to give this one a go with the new 450, but I am in the midst of a house move and will be packing furniture that weekend ... yay. :thumbsdown:
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Ernie pacing yourself is the key. 100k through Alberta bush can be energy sapping. Ride at a pace that keeps you awake but always having a lot of "reserve". Part of the trick with long technical races is making sure you don't waste "stupid" energy. Having to pick up your bike up is dumb on a long race that challenges you. Having to heave your bike out of the bush is dumb on a long race.
In otherwords if you have any doubt about any section of trail, stop and think your way through it or around it. You will be much farther ahead if you clean stuff but only ride at 80% than if you ride at 100% but don't clean stuff.

XCs in Alberta is, in my opinion the purest form of motorcycle racing there is. It makes demands of your body, your bike, your skill, your psyche, but most of all your mind. Its a mixture of you against others with you against the world.
Have a great time
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

If you are first time XC racer, Its a long race so pace your self you are not going to win, you are going to have fun and feel good about finishing and getting a T-shirt. :thumbsup: Start hydrating 5 days before the race and pack a energy bar and eat it at the gas stop.
#Z3B

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cberg77 »

Anyone seen the updated forecast ?? Bring the roll offs... :crazy: Will make for a long 100 K !!!

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Rookie, 2 races last year here, missing out on this one due to a separated AC.
Ride at 80%, try to get the best start you can, passing in the tight later can be tough, lots of water, and the ability to repair a flat tire!
Good luck. :D

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

As has been said, find a comfortable pace and stick with it. Enjoy the day. I think my experiences with this race illustrate the importance of this mindset.

1st year (my first real race)-Got a good start and took off like a banshee. At bottlenecks (inevitable) I had no patience and made my own line. This didn't work as I ended up off course and back at the start after 1/2hr, effectively making me last overall by about 1/2hr. Went back out like a banshee, crashing, gettting stuck and going off course. Didn't make the cut off for the second loop, was dead tired and really didn't enjoy myself.

2nd year-Got a good start and took off like a banshee. Learned my lesson on the bottlenecks and waited (sort of-sorry again Hendrix13). But once I was clear of bottlenecks it was banshee mode again. Spent the day crashing, getting stuck and going off course. Made the cutoff for the second loop, but didn't go out because I was groggy and dead tired. Really didn't enjoy my ride again.

3rd year-Got a crappy start and went into banshee mode to make up for it. A few minutes in, trying to make an impatient pass I rode into a barbed wire fence. Spent 15min digging wire out of my wheels and gathering myself. At this point being last overall for the 2nd time in 3yrs, I gave up on racing and decided to go for a nice long trail ride by myself. Guess what happened, I stayed mostly on course, kept it mostly on two wheels, didn't get stuck and finished both loops. At the finish, I had a ton of energy left and found out I was 3rd in my class after having thoroughly enjoyed my ride.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

If it's wet, expect a different race for Porkies ( different soil type and really greasy when raining). Also, the Porkies area has many, many, many trails, that will cross the actual race loop. Pay very close attention to the ribbons. Just about everybody I know that has raced Porkies has lost the race course at one time or another. It's easy to do there, if you are in a class that starts further back it can be tough as the pros and faster guys often shred ribbons off the trees ( cause they are going so fast :lol: ). So it gets tricky to stay on the actual loop. It's part of racing. The Porkies area is fantastic and always a great race :thumbsup:

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

350scott wrote:
3rd year-Got a crappy start and went into banshee mode to make up for it. A few minutes in, trying to make an impatient pass I rode into a barbed wire fence. Spent 15min digging wire out of my wheels and gathering myself. At this point being last overall for the 2nd time in 3yrs, I gave up on racing and decided to go for a nice long trail ride by myself. Guess what happened, I stayed mostly on course, kept it mostly on two wheels, didn't get stuck and finished both loops. At the finish, I had a ton of energy left and found out I was 3rd in my class after having thoroughly enjoyed my ride.
That was a great ride last year Scott! :thumbsup: I've got some sweet helmet cam footage of you hung up in that fence. :smirk:
I couldn't believe you got third after being that far back. You passed me like a banshee about 30 minutes later and must have kept that pace up the rest of the way. Thanks again for pushing me the last hundred yards to the finish line after I ran out of gas. :canada:

:devil: Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain....