Words of wisdom?

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Words of wisdom?

Post by Dobi »

eload or the likes in the camelback, gel pack taped to the handlebar pad, and protein drinks or bars before the race. This of course is all preceded by a Mcdonalds sausage and egger combo, breakfast burrito, and lots of coffee

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Dobi wrote:eload or the likes in the camelback, gel pack taped to the handlebar pad, and protein drinks or bars before the race. This of course is all preceded by a Mcdonalds sausage and egger combo, breakfast burrito, and lots of coffee
So you've sworn off the DQ??
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

Someone was nice enough to get satellite internet at the race site, wicked.

Did the poker run/pre-run today. I'm going to have my work cut out for me :eek: sand, Sage bushes and tons of rock. It's been crazy windy and the rain stopped so it's terribly dusty.

Rode 160km today. 50km dual sport 4x4 track and the balance in the desert. The bike was awesome (it's all relative). I may regret riding so much today when I get up tomorrow. I'm beat.
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Enjoy, and let us know how it goes for you. I'd be very interested in going down for this next year.

aebbern
Writer
Writer

Post by aebbern »

SteveOg wrote:Enjoy, and let us know how it goes for you. I'd be very interested in going down for this next year.
+1 - I've already started working my riding buddies to get a group together for this next year.

Can't wait to hear about today's race when you get back. Do the big bikes start with all the other bikes in one mass start, or do you have a 2nd wave of starters?

Andy

Beta 300RR

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

aebbern wrote:
SteveOg wrote:Enjoy, and let us know how it goes for you. I'd be very interested in going down for this next year.
+1 - I've already started working my riding buddies to get a group together for this next year.

Can't wait to hear about today's race when you get back. Do the big bikes start with all the other bikes in one mass start, or do you have a 2nd wave of starters?

Andy
They split the group. There are 6-7 one laps classes and 10ish 2 lap classes. They started the two lappers first then us one lappers. 1200 bikes total. The start line is a MILE long. Riders are 100ft back, they fire a cannon, everyone runs, jumps on and takes off. Total madness as everyone shoots for a 20ft opening a mile down the course that is a blind jump. F%^KING MADNESS!

We lined up, walked back to the line, the cannon went within a minute or two and it was on! Had a good start, kept good pace and launched over a huge ditch a half mile in...caught me off guard and scared the sh*t out of me. These bikes are NOT made for jumping :eek:

Was feeling good, comfortable. Got passed by two others in my class (KTM 950 and 990). Did battle with another 990 and a 690 for 20miles or so until a bottle neck developed in "Box Canyon". A bunch of us went left to get around the traffic. Fought our way up a loose rocky section on to what ended up being a plateau with a ledge all the way around it (ranging 8-15ft high) :crybaby: There was one small chute that had a mess of crashed bikes and riders all piled up. 990 and 690 took there own line way right and were helping each other...well it was a controlled drop really. I pushed through the hesitating riders at the chute and bulldogged it down. To my surprise I managed to get down it clean and rode off. I never saw 990 or 690 again.

Ruts, baby heads, embedded rock, rock gardens, rock ledges, deep sand, silt beds, abandoned roads, railway ditches, rocky canyons, ditches, whoops, whoops and more whoops.

I hit a check point that I thought I was about 40 miles in, I asked what the milage was... 25! Yikes! Exhausted! I pushed through, hit another check point and buddy said it was mile 40, 10 more to go :applause: I had a instant burst of energy and rode hard for about 5miles then cranked the rear brake pedal on a rock and it locked up the back wheel and stalled the bike. I messed with it for a minute then gave up and decided to power through it as I only had 5 or so miles left. Every time I let off the throttle the bike stalled as the back brake was dragging so bad. I skidded around every corner, not really having a choice. After 3-4 miles the brake pads wore enough that it freed up and I was rolling free again but with no back brake. The last mile to the finish is a big open section of desert so no brakes wasn't an issue.

Rolled across the finish at 3:16 (with rear brake smoking) Good enough for 3rd in class. I'm very happy with the result. My first race ever and it's a podium finish :thumbsup:

I'm 6'3", those are HUGE dudes!

It was a riot! I'm trying to rally the crew and go down with a big group next year :cheers:
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Sounds amazing. Congrats!

aebbern
Writer
Writer

Post by aebbern »

Congratulations Cory - awesome job pulling the podium on your 800!

Beta 300RR

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

nice report and Great job. Now, say goodbye to all your weekends and your money as you have become addicted..... :D

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Nice work Cory!!! Looks like racing adventure bikes is the sport of Giants!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun!

Sooo... is my XR650R in the big bike class?? That'd be almost cheating... Then again the 690 was there which is probably it's closest competitor. (610 as well but that's a 580)

Looked like a good time. Lets see the rotor though. Plan on replacing that, the pads (or what's left) and I'd check the wheel bearings for grease, especially since they used to be a weak spot on these bikes.

Too bad you didn't have a helmet cam on. Could have been some good footage!

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

Shibby! wrote:Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun!

Sooo... is my XR650R in the big bike class?? That'd be almost cheating... Then again the 690 was there which is probably it's closest competitor. (610 as well but that's a 580)

Looked like a good time. Lets see the rotor though. Plan on replacing that, the pads (or what's left) and I'd check the wheel bearings for grease, especially since they used to be a weak spot on these bikes.

Too bad you didn't have a helmet cam on. Could have been some good footage!
I did have my helmet cam on, got the whole race in HD. I need to go through it and edit of course.

The cc min is 652. Not sure what the actual displacement of the XR is. I expect they made 652cc the min to weed out all the 650cc bikes. Riding a XR650, 650 X-Challenge etc wouldn't be fair. I think they should go with weight (450lb min or something) rather than CC. At 305lbs dry weight, the KTM690 is almost cheating too. My bike and the 950/990s are just under 500lb, the big BMWs 550lbs... Maybe I need to be on a 690 next year and take full advantage of the rules!

I'll be giving the whole bike a once over when I get time. FYI, there wasn't ever a bearing issue with the F8s, it was hub bore issue. The hub was bored a few thou under spec and the when the bearing were pressed in at the factory there was more pressure on the outer race than there should have been causing the bearings to fail. I had Woody's Wheel Works in Denver open up the hub when they built my Excels. BMW fixed the bore issue starting late '09 or early '10.
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

Dakota_c69 wrote:Nice work Cory!!! Looks like racing adventure bikes is the sport of Giants!
Yeah, what's with that? I'm a shade under 6' 1" and you are a couple of inches taller than me. Those guys tower over you.

Did they hand out trophies based on finishing order, height or looks?

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

Upon further reflection, I realize there would have to be some fourth category before I could hope to get a trophy... :blush:

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

clamacious wrote:
Dakota_c69 wrote:Nice work Cory!!! Looks like racing adventure bikes is the sport of Giants!
Yeah, what's with that? I'm a shade under 6' 1" and you are a couple of inches taller than me. Those guys tower over you.

Did they hand out trophies based on finishing order, height or looks?
Definitely not based on looks as I was only in 3rd :lol:

Honestly I think it has a lot to do with leverage. It's easier to keep the big bikes up when you're tall. Once you get that much weight very far off upright, it's a real chore to keep it from taking a dirt nap. I know several GREAT adv bike riders and they are well over 6' with the exception of only a couple.
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R