Words of wisdom?

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Rellik

Re: Words of wisdom?

Post by Rellik »

That's awesome stuff Cory! How was your finish overall, and what were the others in your class riding? I'm guessing big singles? I'm with Andy on this one for next year, it's not the Dakar, but it has to feel pretty good!

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

Rellik wrote:That's awesome stuff Cory! How was your finish overall, and what were the others in your class riding? I'm guessing big singles? I'm with Andy on this one for next year, it's not the Dakar, but it has to feel pretty good!
Hey Alan, everyone else was on KTMs. You'd do well at this event. You, Tom and I will have to meet up for a fat bike ride or two this season :thumbsup:

The other ADV class riders were: one 950 SE, two 950 ADVs, one 990 ADV and a 690.

It looks like I was 169th out of 379 one lap racers. That isn't including DNFs which will be an additional 30%. Being in the one of the slowest classes, on arguably the least capable offroad bike there and it being my first race, I'll take the 169th with a big smile on my face :D I was happy to have finished and the trip to the podium was just a nice add on :thumbsup: I'll be looking to place a lot better in the 2014 event.
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

OsoBlanco wrote: I expect they made 652cc the min to weed out all the 650cc bikes.

Isn't that shat.. The 690 up until this year, or 2012+ was 654CC.

XRR's are just under 650 I think. 649 maybe. 277ish dry weight.

690 or 990 would be the bike of choice then for me. Good of you to get on the podium with the BMW!

Sounded like a good time though. I LOVE desert riding.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Shibby! wrote:
OsoBlanco wrote: I expect they made 652cc the min to weed out all the 650cc bikes.

Isn't that shat.. The 690 up until this year, or 2012+ was 654CC.

XRR's are just under 650 I think. 649 maybe. 277ish dry weight.

690 or 990 would be the bike of choice then for me. Good of you to get on the podium with the BMW!

Sounded like a good time though. I LOVE desert riding.
i say 690 for sure and a 950SER as the next choice :smirk:

Congrats Cory on such a great race!!!
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

stretch
Writer
Writer

Post by stretch »

OsoBlanco wrote:
Rellik wrote:That's awesome stuff Cory! How was your finish overall, and what were the others in your class riding? I'm guessing big singles? I'm with Andy on this one for next year, it's not the Dakar, but it has to feel pretty good!
Hey Alan, everyone else was on KTMs. You'd do well at this event. You, Tom and I will have to meet up for a fat bike ride or two this season :thumbsup:

The other ADV class riders were: one 950 SE, two 950 ADVs, one 990 ADV and a 690.

It looks like I was 169th out of 379 one lap racers. That isn't including DNFs which will be an additional 30%. Being in the one of the slowest classes, on arguably the least capable offroad bike there and it being my first race, I'll take the 169th with a big smile on my face :D I was happy to have finished and the trip to the podium was just a nice add on :thumbsup: I'll be looking to place a lot better in the 2014 event.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
# 87

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

A clip from YouTube of the procession of bikes leaving the campground and heading to the starting area. I've seen two different numbers posted for total number of racers, 996 or 1402. Either way it's a lot of bikes on the course at once.

I can't seem to get it to embed the video but here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nM6eEgRvC0

First wave start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iNxFfYy20c
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

aebbern
Writer
Writer

Post by aebbern »

Cool - looks like you at the 1:24 mark...

Beta 300RR

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

Anyone that is interested in racing next year, there are a few thousand pics here: http://photosbysteve.smugmug.com/2013Desert100/Race There's some great shots in Gallery 5 and 6.
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

Rellik

Post by Rellik »

Thanks for that link Cory, I've now wasted the better part of my morning watching videos instead of working. ;)

The thing that shocks me is when you look at the rankings. You finished ONE lap in roughly the same time as the top guys finished TWO laps! They have to be averaging 40 mph with pit stops etc. I watched the video from touratech and I couldn't believe how often he went down on that bike, just lifting it that much must have been a killer! I'm getting the couch racing blues very badly!

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

Rellik wrote:Thanks for that link Cory, I've now wasted the better part of my morning watching videos instead of working. ;)

The thing that shocks me is when you look at the rankings. You finished ONE lap in roughly the same time as the top guys finished TWO laps! They have to be averaging 40 mph with pit stops etc. I watched the video from touratech and I couldn't believe how often he went down on that bike, just lifting it that much must have been a killer! I'm getting the couch racing blues very badly!
The overall winner did 2 laps in 3:06, I did one in 3:16. The funny thing is that I don't remember anyone blowing by me at a crazy speed at any point. Anyway, impressive to say the least. They don't factor in the two different wave start times with the finishing times. With over 1000 riders there's no way to know who started in each wave. All the 2 lap guys (black numbered bibs) were suppose to start in wave one and the red bibs were wave two but there were several black bibs on our line too. 15 minutes between waves. My time of 3:16 includes the 15min between waves and about 5min from crossing the finish line, getting in queue to get over the podium for official clock out. I set my lap counter at the start and stopped it at the finish line and I was 2:55, my helmet cam footage shows that too. I was baffled when I saw the official times posted and mine was +20min on what I thought it should have been. Everyone in my class had the additional 15min showing on their time so it's not like I got screwed but it's something to keep in mind when looking at the overall results.

The Touratech rider last year seemed to have a tough time with the course. Ian isn't a big guy so maybe it was just a matter of a huge bike and an average sized dude? I had two drops and both were well into the race on steep loose climbs with baby heads. Maybe the course was harder last year, maybe I just had a good day :crazy: Looking at the pics of guys on real dirt bikes pushing them up ledges and flipping over backwards makes me think I must have picked magic lines because I didn't do any pushing or have any loop outs.

I'm going through the video now and will try to put something together this week.
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

My first attempt a video editing. Explicit lyrics contained :thumbsup:

'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member