Words of wisdom?

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Words of wisdom?

Post by OsoBlanco »

I'm racing for the first time this weekend and not really sure what to expect. If any of you veteran racers have any tips about, well... anything really, I'd love to hear them :thumbsup:
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Re: Words of wisdom?

Post by SteveOg »

I have no advice for you, but where are you racing this weekend? I'd like to try my hand at it as well. Good luck!

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

The StumpJumper Desert 100 is this weekend in Washington. 1200 racers, crazy event.

http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

My advice is don't race! Sure enter the race and participate but treat it like ride with the goal being to finish and have fun.

I would always just start last on my start line when I started racing and it was fun. Try to pass from the back was good. I see too many folks "race" without race experience and they often crash or tangle with other riders.

If the start is bomb run then this advice might not be the best. I've never done one of those but it looks nasty with reduced visibility on the videos.

Take it easy and have fun. :D

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

OsoBlanco wrote:The StumpJumper Desert 100 is this weekend in Washington. 1200 racers, crazy event.

http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/
Looks awesome! I'd be in to do it next year. Have fun!

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

dirtyboy wrote:My advice is don't race! Sure enter the race and participate but treat it like ride with the goal being to finish and have fun.

I would always just start last on my start line when I started racing and it was fun. Try to pass from the back was good. I see too many folks "race" without race experience and they often crash or tangle with other riders.

If the start is bomb run then this advice might not be the best. I've never done one of those but it looks nasty with reduced visibility on the videos.

Take it easy and have fun. :D

1200 racers all starting at the same time. The start line is 3/4 mile long. I'm running the adventure bike class, 650cc and larger. We be the slowest class for sure (450-550 lb bikes), there will be no hole shot for any of us :lol: I'll be trilled to just finish the race. I just want to pop my iPod on, ride and have a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-livorFT6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxwDu8sUgLk
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

Do not overthink any of the obstacles! The more your brain engages the bigger the obstacles will look. Have fun and ride your own race dont worry about what other people are doing or how fast they are unless you are there to make money in the grand scheme of things its all for fun and we all need to go back to work in 1 piece if possible :D

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i agree with db.
i also know if you never have to pick your bike up, push it, etc than you will do very well when you reach the finish line. Getting up off the ground is mentally and physically exhausting :D
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

My couple of local races last year I wish I had tried to grab more positions at the start, passing later in the tight stuff was difficult, and i got stuck waiting in line on some climbs I could easily have made. But that terrain maybe not an issue. Just set a goal of riding clean and finishing. :cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

practice your starts. No point in being at the back and riding in dust. Get out front, clog the hole and set the pace :applause:

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

If you see an obviously better line that no one has taken, don't take it, it's not better. :blush:
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

Dobi wrote:practice your starts. No point in being at the back and riding in dust. Get out front, clog the hole and set the pace :applause:

I'm in Spokane now and it's pouring rain and the forecast says rain through to Monday so I'm guessing dust won't be much of a concern. I think it'll be a battle of attrition :D

Odessa has a population of 1000 for 363 days a year and 7000 for this weekend. Should be a riot!

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

hydration...
start drinking copious and non stop amounts of water now.
It may offset the cramps in your legs during the race.
water, water, water...now until race day.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

OsoBlanco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OsoBlanco »

Spinalguy wrote:hydration...
start drinking copious and non stop amounts of water now.
It may offset the cramps in your legs during the race.
water, water, water...now until race day.

What about nutrition?
'09 BMW F800GS
Franken-Kawi KX220R

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

nutrition?
i just eat normally.
A banana midway through race would be good, power type bars, etc. i do mix some gatorade in with my water in the camelback.