Coulee Springs Race

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Coulee Springs Race

Post by 5Lgreenback »

Don't have a CMA license. Don't think I'll be paying for another license, I figure I'll be lucky to make 3 races this season with my unscheduled schedule. So if I get a second gear club membership I can particpate in the sportsman class?

Edit- Looking at the CMA site it looks like I maybe should have joined that instead (More Hare Scrambles/ events closer to home). It's only $30, so I'll join up there as well.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

If you are thinking of doing sportsman class you dont have to join CMA yet. Do the first race, see what you think then you can always join CMA during your registration for the next race which is June 22nd at Fallen Timber.
Bikeless....

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 5Lgreenback »

erniebearskin wrote:If you are thinking of doing sportsman class you dont have to join CMA yet. Do the first race, see what you think then you can always join CMA during your registration for the next race which is June 22nd at Fallen Timber.
Right on, sounds good! Thanks!

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

Ok, signed up for Coulee Springs and this will be my first HS ever. Couple more questions:

1. Do I need a transponder and if so, where is the best place (most affordable) in Calgary to buy one?
2. Since this is private land, will I need a spark arrestor for this race? If so, anyone aware of an arrestor end cap for a Powercore II?
3. Is this entire race on the MX track or is it a combination of the MX track and other?

Thanks!

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cberg77 »

CMA uses bar code stickers on your helmet, no transponder required. I don't think spark arrestors are required but I would recommend getting one for riding in the mountains anyways, one to look at would be pro moto billet. I have never been to the track there but it sounds like more of a natural type of terrain track without huge jumps and longer laps than a MX track, I think I read laps are about 8 km long.

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

April 27-28 Coulee Springs Hare Scramble POSTPONED TO May 11th-12th

Recent snow and cold temperatures have delayed the start of the 2013 spring/summer series for Schools, Hare Scrambles and Trials.

Please update you calendar with the following changes:

https://www.facebook.com/SecondGearClub
http://www.secondgearclub.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for posting the update IceMan! :thumbsup:

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

KanadianIceMan wrote:April 27-28 Coulee Springs Hare Scramble POSTPONED TO May 11th-12th

Recent snow and cold temperatures have delayed the start of the 2013 spring/summer series for Schools, Hare Scrambles and Trials.

I'm assuming that this is still on? Also, if I remember correctly races are on Saturday?
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Ynot303 wrote:
KanadianIceMan wrote:April 27-28 Coulee Springs Hare Scramble POSTPONED TO May 11th-12th

I'm assuming that this is still on? Also, if I remember correctly races are on Saturday?
Yes and yes. Kids race Sunday.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Just looking at the SGC page and saw that all helmets need a Snell 2010 sticker. I've got a TLD Air (brand new this year) and it says "Snell" on the back, but doesn't have the sticker shown on the site. I'm assuming it's still OK?

Also, what about the kids helmets? I bought two helmets for my girls and both are DOT but I don't see a Snell marking on them. Are we SOL? I had no idea when we were shopping that there was a difference or requirement for that marking so we bought the helmets that were suggested for us at the shops. It's pretty unlikely I'll be buying 2 more brand new helmets for this race, so hopefully the ones we have are OK. Thanks. ...Steve

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

The helmets you have for the Girls will be fine for the kids club races. Almost all youth helmets do not have Snell or ECE standards.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

trailguy wrote:The helmets you have for the Girls will be fine for the kids club races. Almost all youth helmets do not have Snell or ECE standards.
Great, thanks!

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

So, how did everybody do?
Bikeless....

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

It was a long day being there early to register and then not racing until after four, but it was pretty fun until part way through my third lap. I was doing well and in second place in sportsman when I had a little incident. I went down the one of the bumpy downhills with the ditch at the bottom and when I started going back up, about 30' up the hill I hit a bump with the front tire, which threw me back and poured on the gas. The bike stood up, I went off the back and landed with my left leg underneath me. A couple guys came and got my bike up to the top and then carried me up, put me on the bike and put it in gear. I finished the lap, but was in tons of pain and not able to move my leg to even shift gears.

I came home, unloaded, had a shower and then headed to the hospital. Turns out I tore my MCL and sprained whatever else I have left for ligaments in that knee. It's really sore and about twice the size of my right knee but the worst part is I had to tell my girls this morning that they weren't racing today. Both were pretty disappointed, but understood.

Overall a good time in the sun and an interesting first experience for me in the racing scene. I'm not sure how excited I am to try it again, but that may change when I'm healed up. I think I prefer a day in the woods with my buddies to one hour of riding at a race, but the race was a rush. Big thanks to the two guys who helped me out, too. I have no idea who they were and I didn't see them afterwards to say thanks. ....Steve

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Sorry to hear about your knee Steve.

I thought that the grass track part was really well laid out. I'm not a grass track fan but this one was really fun. It was designed to be single track grass course and once the mowed grass got torn off it became really fun. Now I just need to get my speed up on that stuff. :blush:

Thanks to Second Gear Club and Coulee Springs MX park for putting on a great event. :applause: