Coulee Springs Race

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Coulee Springs Race

Post by 5Lgreenback »

erniebearskin wrote:
5Lgreenback wrote:I'm hoping to try and make this race as well for my first ever race. Not to mention first ever time on something resembling a motocross track. Any other newbies from here going to be in the beginner class? :crazy:
I'll be in novice as well, Second Gear Club also offers a Sportsmen class which is a non sanctioned class geared towards first timers. Sportsmen is usually run later in the day so you are not on course same time as the rest of the classes, I found it as a good first race experience, just a thought. :cheers:
Oh okay. I'm not sure how this all works, that sounds like the class I should probably join (or was planning on joining). I was reading on the Second Gear Club site to try and figure out how it all works. So the non-sanctioned class is the one that starts at 2:00pm on saturday? Non-sanctioned means mostly newbies obviously? And I assume there's no points for positions etc?

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

I'm planning on racing the Sportsmen as well. I haven't been on a bike in 10 years and would like to give it a shot.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Correct and I think it's a club only race so maybe you don't even need to have CMA membership?
Bikeless....

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

erniebearskin wrote:Correct and I think it's a club only race so maybe you don't even need to have CMA membership?
Correct Bryan.

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 5Lgreenback »

Haha ok. Well I just sent off my CMRA application and money. But Im not a member of Second Gear Club, so I suppose Ill have to join and pay that fee to enter the the sportsman class race? Never know with my schedule but I'll hopefully be able to make 2+ CMRA races so hopefully that wasn't a waste of time/ money.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

5Lgreenback wrote:Haha ok. Well I just sent off my CMRA application and money. But Im not a member of Second Gear Club, so I suppose Ill have to join and pay that fee to enter the the sportsman class race? Never know with my schedule but I'll hopefully be able to make 2+ CMRA races so hopefully that wasn't a waste of time/ money.
Did you mean CMRC or CMA? They are two different race groups?
Bikeless....

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 5Lgreenback »

Oops yeah CMRC is the one.

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

I've never raced before and am CMRC licensed and am planning on doing some fo the 40B races this year. I'd like to do this race, since it would be good warm up for the May 3-5th Riviere's Revenge HS in Pincher Creek.

Being my first time and registered as a 40B rider, I have a few questions.

1. What is the typical length of a HS or XC race?
2. What races do I need a spark arrestor for or is it just best to get an FMF pipe with one and call it a day?
3. What fitness level should be expected for a 40B rider? I am reasonable fit, not over weight, and could run a 10k race, although my time would be around the 60 minute mark.

Thanks,
Scott

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

This is a CMA race, so unless you race sportsman you will need to pay CMA fee as well. CMA has 4 additional Hare Scrambles this season. (June, July, August & September).
Bikeless....

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Do you need a transponder or numbers for Sportsman?

aebbern
Writer
Writer

Post by aebbern »

SteveOg wrote:Do you need a transponder or numbers for Sportsman?
No - you don't need either for Sportsman. They will just give you a barcode sticker for the side of your helmet and scan you in each lap.

Beta 300RR

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

CMA races will also require a a separate license fee as well. Second gear club races are a seperate series from the CMRC, e.g.coulee springs is CMA and Rivieres is CMRC. I think the license is a similar cost to the CMRC. I'm not sure how the "closed to club" bit affects the Sportsman class, when I raced Novice a few years ago, I needed the license.

You will need a spark arrester at all times riding off road in Alberta.

HS race is defined as a race course under 25km, raced multiple laps typically with a timed cut off. Cross country is anything longer, and may have a time cutoff or lap count requirement. There's lots of good reading on the AMSA website, including the off road rules for 2013. To race 40b in that series you will need to have numbers (black on white i believe) that match your CMRC license.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Forgot to mention about fitness. If you can run 10 km, you'd be at the top of the curve :D

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

aebbern wrote:
SteveOg wrote:Do you need a transponder or numbers for Sportsman?
No - you don't need either for Sportsman. They will just give you a barcode sticker for the side of your helmet and scan you in each lap.
Thanks. Pending weather and wife, I'll be there. I had planned on using my daughter's desire to race as the excuse to be there all but she broke her arm on Friday night. Looks like a while before she's out riding now. :thumbsdown:

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

AJRJ wrote:Forgot to mention about fitness. If you can run 10 km, you'd be at the top of the curve :D
Speak for yourself, I can easily run 10kM.....over the span of a week.

Steve sorry to hear about your daughters arm, hope it heals up ok !
Bikeless....