Coulee Springs Race

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Re: Coulee Springs Race

Post by SteveOg »

I agree and really liked the course. I really liked the grassy section but found it really slippery on the early morning parade lap but by the time we raced after everyone else, it was awesome. Great event and I wish I had been able to get my girls out there today. Next time!

Thanks to all the people and sponsors who worked so hard to make it happen.

Does anyone know if the Sportman lap times are posted somewhere? I'd like to see how I stacked up before my crash. ...Steve

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

Wow, that was really a fun race. Not being an MX guy, I really struggled on the MX part of the track, especially the lack of berms and the soft, deep, dry dirt. I think I'm still blowing dirt out my nose! :)

The grass part of the track was awesome, and it was the one part of the track where I was able to run with some of the faster riders. The grass was quite slick initially but did become much better by lap 3 or so (Vet class). I certainly came away with a few take a ways though. First, I thought my conditioning was reasonable, but it sucks. Second, although this style of course will be rare, I think there will be considerable value in practicing more often at Wild Rose, if only on the east track.

Many thanks to 2nd Gear Club for hosting, and Landon for building and allowing access to such a great course. I fully intend on taking Landon up on his offer to come out and ride when throws out the invites.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

SteveOg wrote:
Does anyone know if the Sportman lap times are posted somewhere? I'd like to see how I stacked up before my crash. ...Steve

Ususally SGC has them posted on thier website within a week or so.....
Bikeless....

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

SteveOg wrote:It was a long day being there early to register and then not racing until after four, but it was pretty fun until part way through my third lap. I was doing well and in second place in sportsman when I had a little incident. I went down the one of the bumpy downhills with the ditch at the bottom and when I started going back up, about 30' up the hill I hit a bump with the front tire, which threw me back and poured on the gas. The bike stood up, I went off the back and landed with my left leg underneath me. A couple guys came and got my bike up to the top and then carried me up, put me on the bike and put it in gear. I finished the lap, but was in tons of pain and not able to move my leg to even shift gears.

I came home, unloaded, had a shower and then headed to the hospital. Turns out I tore my MCL and sprained whatever else I have left for ligaments in that knee. It's really sore and about twice the size of my right knee but the worst part is I had to tell my girls this morning that they weren't racing today. Both were pretty disappointed, but understood.

Overall a good time in the sun and an interesting first experience for me in the racing scene. I'm not sure how excited I am to try it again, but that may change when I'm healed up. I think I prefer a day in the woods with my buddies to one hour of riding at a race, but the race was a rush. Big thanks to the two guys who helped me out, too. I have no idea who they were and I didn't see them afterwards to say thanks. ....Steve
Ouch...

Sorry to hear about that. I had a badly torn MCL last spring and it took 2 months before I could walk somewhat normal. I have all range of movement now but lacks strength in certain directions. I can ride no problem and without pain, but worry about damaging it further in a crash.

IMO, if your benefits cover it, try to get knee braces. I'm hoping I can pull it off so I can have some protection from re-injuring it.

Oh yea, and do the excersizes your physio tells you to do!

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

All the results are posted on SCGs facebook page! I had such a great time with the kids on Sunday, I cant wait for next years Coulee Springs!!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

This was a super fun race!!! I ended up having considerably more fun than I thought I would. Initially I was not sure about the whole situation as it seemed really rough and loose, but by the third lap I was going quite a bit faster and that seemed to really smooth things out for me.

All in all a great day! :thumbsup:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

It was a really fun layout, the Euro style GP track with the big drop is awesome. :thumbsup: