Spark arrestor?

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Spark arrestor?

Post by Hendrix13 »

I think the Alberta government shouldn't discriminate.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

axel99 wrote:Just keep in mind the Alberta government clearly advocates that "OHV's cause wildfires". This is clearly stated in the government posted signage in the Ghost. This would infer that even in the absense of mention of USFS spark arrestor requirement in the act they may still issue a ticket, right or wrong. It's a very technically subjective piece of legislation.
That sign needs to have something happen to it...
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Most OHV started forest fires are from the mud falling off the hot header pipe and smouldering. It is a big problem for quads.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Dobi wrote:Most OHV started forest fires are from the mud falling off the hot header pipe and smouldering. It is a big problem for quads.
Fires can be caused from a number of ways. Camp fires, cigarettes, lightning etc. It's not right that ohv's are singled out.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Hendrix13 wrote:
Dobi wrote:Most OHV started forest fires are from the mud falling off the hot header pipe and smouldering. It is a big problem for quads.
Fires can be caused from a number of ways. Camp fires, cigarettes, lightning etc. It's not right that ohv's are singled out.
I am not singling out OHV's and neither is ESRD. The point I am making is that spark from exhaust has a lower likelihood than smouldering debris. ESRD still has campaigns focused towards the users that use fire for enjoyment and they now focus on debris more than spark arresters in their campaigns for ohv.

http://wildfire.fpinnovations.ca/39/AD-3-44.pdf

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Wow, all this talk about fires and yet there have been NONE since i moved back here in 2000. :thinking:
Maclean? Nope
Waiporous? Nope
Indian Graves? Nope
Porkies? Nope

And i am sure there are quads, bikes and trucks with no spark arrestors over the 13 year period of NO fires. :rolleyes:

.gov propaganda at its finest.

but to keep 'the man' happy make sure you are fireproof.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Just out of curiousity... Besides cost for a forestry approved spark arrestor exhaust cannister, is there a down side? I mean, is there a performance penalty?

Cheers,
Aaron

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Bark wrote:Just out of curiousity... Besides cost for a forestry approved spark arrestor exhaust cannister, is there a down side? I mean, is there a performance penalty?

Cheers,
Aaron
None that I can tell.....performs the same to me. The only penalty I had was sound......stock sounds wicked at WOT but if you race the CMRC circuit c'est la vie :crybaby:
CR250R

rock933
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rock933 »

Not having a spark arrestor on a two stroke isn't what will cause a fire, grass and leaves touching a four stroke exhaust will.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

rock933 wrote:Not having a spark arrestor on a two stroke isn't what will cause a fire, grass and leaves touching a four stroke exhaust will.
A 2-stroke pipe gets pretty darn hot too.....not glowing red hot but hot enough in my opinion. The 4-strokes issue has always been with the muffler.....even with a screen you will see a bit of flash coming out the back. That is what people told me when night riding behind my yz450f anyways.
CR250R

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

primerib72 wrote: muffler.....even with a screen you will see a bit of flash coming out the back. That is what people told me when night riding behind my yz450f anyways.
That was a fire breathing beast that ate local village peasants and large farm animals while it terrorized the country side! :crazy:
The voices are back. Awesome!

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Brass wrote:
primerib72 wrote: muffler.....even with a screen you will see a bit of flash coming out the back. That is what people told me when night riding behind my yz450f anyways.
That was a fire breathing beast that ate local village peasants and large farm animals while it terrorized the country side! :crazy:
:lol: Now it just puffs smoke..... :cheers:
CR250R