2012 Corduroy Enduro Photos/Report

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

2012 Corduroy Enduro Photos/Report

Post by cedric »

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Re: 2012 Corduroy Enduro Photos/Report

Post by MtnBlue »

I've often wondered about their billing " Canada's toughest race". I'm not saying it isn't just wondered. I know it's long ( 150kms a day). I have friends in Ontario that have done the event, they have also ridden out here (and were humbled).

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Greens Mountain. i have wheeled that many times. Be neat to do it on 2 wheels.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

DirtyBikes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DirtyBikes »

MtnBlue wrote:I've often wondered about their billing " Canada's toughest race". I'm not saying it isn't just wondered. I know it's long ( 150kms a day). I have friends in Ontario that have done the event, they have also ridden out here (and were humbled).
It is hard to finish given all the water on the course, there are mud holes that could be 1inch deep or 3ft deep and you don't know until you ride through. There are hundreds of these mud holes. But the terrain you guys ride out west is much harder from what I have been told by guys who have ridden both. I would think Extiction is Canada's Toughest Race.

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

DirtyBikes wrote:
MtnBlue wrote:I've often wondered about their billing " Canada's toughest race". I'm not saying it isn't just wondered. I know it's long ( 150kms a day). I have friends in Ontario that have done the event, they have also ridden out here (and were humbled).
It is hard to finish given all the water on the course, there are mud holes that could be 1inch deep or 3ft deep and you don't know until you ride through. There are hundreds of these mud holes. But the terrain you guys ride out west is much harder from what I have been told by guys who have ridden both. I would think Extiction is Canada's Toughest Race.
I've never ridden the Cord, but its on my bucket list :cheers: .

I guess at some time I used to buy into the idea that there has to be one pinacle of 'toughest/hardest' races in the country, but I think its time we categorized events like the Cord and Xtinction. By no means by creating Xtinction, do we want to deminish the quality of event that the Cord, or for that matter, Crowsnest, Porkies, the MonkeyWrench etc etc. All these events have been around for eons, organised by guys who have been around longer ( :smirk: :nworthy: ). In each event, organisers capture a character which is specific to that event, a character that riders want to experience and share.

I like that Blair calls the Cord " Canada's toughest event ", because in its own respect it is. Wet roots, wet logs, wet rocks ( and not pit run rocks, rocks the size of houses ) make the Cord the Cord. As, long uphills, downhills, epic views, etc make Crowsnest what it is. What we have to discern is that these events are tough for entry level riders to finish, and tough for pros to go fast on. The courses are demanding for each level of rider, BUT, ridable by all levels of riders.

Xtinction is different. Its not ridable by all levels and never designed to be. It was not meant to belittle entry level riders though!!! Its perhaps the " hardest event " in Canada, designed to bring the talents of the best in the world, and show us mere mortals that "WE CAN " :canada: :canada: :canada: as Mark has said in his six days comments.

Just my .02 as this sport is so very cool with great people and I am always grateful to be part of it.

So, who is in for a road trip next year to the Cord? That is if, we aren't going to Sardinia :D

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

fryguy wrote:
DirtyBikes wrote:
I've never ridden the Cord, but its on my bucket list :cheers: .

I guess at some time I used to buy into the idea that there has to be one pinacle of 'toughest/hardest' races in the country, but I think its time we categorized events like the Cord and Xtinction. By no means by creating Xtinction, do we want to deminish the quality of event that the Cord, or for that matter, Crowsnest, Porkies, the MonkeyWrench etc etc. All these events have been around for eons, organised by guys who have been around longer ( :smirk: :nworthy: ). In each event, organisers capture a character which is specific to that event, a character that riders want to experience and share.

I like that Blair calls the Cord " Canada's toughest event ", because in its own respect it is. Wet roots, wet logs, wet rocks ( and not pit run rocks, rocks the size of houses ) make the Cord the Cord. As, long uphills, downhills, epic views, etc make Crowsnest what it is. What we have to discern is that these events are tough for entry level riders to finish, and tough for pros to go fast on. The courses are demanding for each level of rider, BUT, ridable by all levels of riders.

Xtinction is different. Its not ridable by all levels and never designed to be. It was not meant to belittle entry level riders though!!! Its perhaps the " hardest event " in Canada, designed to bring the talents of the best in the world, and show us mere mortals that "WE CAN " :canada: :canada: :canada: as Mark has said in his six days comments.

Just my .02 as this sport is so very cool with great people and I am always grateful to be part of it.

So, who is in for a road trip next year to the Cord? That is if, we aren't going to Sardinia :D
fryguy, I think youve nailed it! Ive always wanted to do "the Cord" as well, although riding in the Laurentian rocks last year in Quebec with a seperated shoulder really has diffused my enthusiasm for the terrain :crybaby: . The rattlesnake is starting to warm up to the idea of Italy in the fall so perhaps we'll see you in Sardinia. :thumbsup:
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS