Race time keeping question

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Race time keeping question

Post by Brass »

This is likely a simple question that the regular racers can answer quickly.

For the time keeping; when the different classes start, is the clock reset for each class or does the clock start for everyone when the first class gets going?

Example, racing beginner and being the last class off the line, if my lap times show as;
lap 1 52 min
lap 2 45 min
lap 3 44 min

Would the first lap time have started with the first group off the line or is it reset for each class and I just suck that much more during my first lap??
The voices are back. Awesome!

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Race time keeping question

Post by twotired »

My understanding of how it works Brass is that the clock is adjusted for each class to the exact time that your class leaves the line.

The cutoff times are not adjusted and a 2 hour cutoff is taken from 2 hours after the pros start the race. Your class may start 10 minutes after the pros so then your actual cutoff is 1 hour 50 minutes from your start.

The first lap is usually a different length than the other laps so your time will be different. For example at St.Francis we didn't start at the timing tent which is where our second and third laps started. The first lap included from the start line, through the motocross track, up the hill, then through the area where the timing tent was to be setup, and then the whole regular lap. That's why your time was longer.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Hmm .... the first lap wasn't that much longer. I must have just sucked more! :lol:

Thanks for the info.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Brass wrote:Hmm .... the first lap wasn't that much longer. I must have just sucked more! :lol:

Thanks for the info.
Everyone's first lap is longer.....the moto track was very long and it was extra slippery for the morning race. :D

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

:lol: That's a very polite way of saying, yes you sucked more!

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Brass I used my helmet camera footage to deduct the additional track added on the first lap to compare my lap times and found that it took me 5:03 to reach the scanning area. After that my first and second lap times were exactly the same. Somehow my last lap was 41 seconds faster, must have been that extra little push to stay ahead of the guy I passed near the end. You were wearing a contour helmet cam weren't you? :thinking: