Insurance (Racing)

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Insurance (Racing)

Post by twitch13 »

I just talked to my insurance provider for my bike (TD Insurance) and they tell me that if I use my bike for racing it null and voids my insurance. Does anyone know of a insurance provider that also covers you off if you race the bike?

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Insurance (Racing)

Post by 350scott »

I would suspect this is only while using the bike for racing. i.e if you run someone over in during a race and they sue you (and win) for running them over, you can't go to your insurance company for liability coverage, but if you use the same bike during a trail ride and do the same thing your liability coverage is good (depending on exact circumstances).
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

I wasn't racing. :)

You can probably find someone to cover you while racing but it will be pricey. just don't tell them, really, it's definatley not like you are RD5 checking out after doing the quad.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i thought our race membership with CMRCA has some type of insurance coverage? i also thought ADRA also has coverage? And i suspect that every club that puts events on has coverage?
Yes? No?
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

I believe that cmrc only provides a death and dismemberment of $10,000.00

if you are racing on crown land you are still required to have your own policy for liabilty as a minimum and registration but I beleive they waive the rule of having to display the plate for the duration of the race only.

Private land I guess you don't really have a requirement, but as scott mentioned I guess you could still get sued by a fellow racer, hmmm.... I wonder if the waiver we sign waives fellow riders or jsut the organizer/land owners.

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

Not sure on the waiver but I did get clarification from TD insurance. Everyone at TD is telling me that if I use my bike for racing it DOES void the insurance. I called a guy at Beneficial Insurance Solutions (A broker) and they have other providers that will supply insurance when you using it for recreational use and when you are racing it does not cover you BUT when you are done racing the insurance kicks back in for recreational use. So you may want to clarify with your provider to ensure that if something happens you are not left hanging. (As a note they also got me a better deal on my insurance than TD as well).

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I've got insurance with Allied Industrial, which apparently does cover me during the race. Checked into this a few years ago. It's a pricey work package though.

It would be nice if someone from ADRA chimed in on the CMRC insurance. Or 2nd Gear Club on the CMA package. :thinking:
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Hey all,

I just got this most up to date info from one of our invaluable volunteers that you will see at almost every cmrc off road race and a good handful of cmrc moto races too. She's on the ADRA board too and is all over it!

I made a mistake in that the accidental death an dismemberment benefit is $25,000.00 not the 10k I was lead to believe before. I was right in that when racing on crown land you area required to have your own liability insurance at all times. Proof of registration by means displaying a plate on your bike DURING the race is not required, but is required at all other times. Private land requires no registration.

I also learned that, yes, alot of insurance companies do not cover racing or extreme sports (eg; Bull riding, motorcyle racing, skydiving etc...) and that it was recommended to me, and hence I pass onto you, that you can get additional coverage through a third party company called http://www.combined.ca/ which will sell you additional coverage for your racing endevours. Apparently they are fairly reasonable $$, all things considered.

Ultimatley you can have all your questions regarding what the cmrc licence does and/or does not cover by contacting:

Jan Stallybrass
CMRC Insurance
email (jan@cmrcracing.com)
905-640-6686 Direct

Hope this helps!

:cheers: beer.