New Racer Bike Question

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

New Racer Bike Question

Post by twitch13 »

I just started riding this spring and I currently have a used 2009 KTM 450 EXC (still has the turn signals) I tried the Porkies Hare Scramble and had a tough time with the conditions, during that time my bike died due to my fan constantly running as I was really struggling with keeping my bike going in the mud. I recently tried the Vernon CEC Enduro, admittedly the terrain was over my skill level (missing a few turn signals now) but on the first day the bike died again from the fan constantly going and the second day I disconnected the fan which helped (I also rode a lot better the second day even though I was totally exhausted from the first day) but the bike constantly over heated and eventually I had to pull out of the race.

I noticed at both these races that most riders have a smaller cc bike and after doing some research online it looks like a 250 might be easier to handle and is less prone to overheating. I know that I still have a lot to learn in racing but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations based on their racing experience. Should I look at buying a different smaller cc bike or should I suck it up and eventually learn how to ride this one properly?

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Racer Bike Question

Post by Bark »

I really enjoy my 250XC coming from a 530XC-W. To each their own on that accord. Although I participate at some of the races, I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore racer. But, here's a thought...

To 'fix' your immediate problem, you could look at a stator with more charging power to keep your battery better charged during a long, slow single track day.

http://www.trailtech.net/ktm_sr-8313_kits.html

Its cheaper than a new bike.

I don't know if the 250cc or 350cc 4-strokes owners need to take precautions regarding fans, stators, batteries, etc. but the bigger bikes seem to suffer from those woes for us slightly less speedy participants.

I've heard of 2st riders blowing out enough fluid from their systems that they stop their participation. I've also heard from a fellow who ran his 2-st KTM bike 100% dry and still finished and the bike didn't suffer major damage as one would imagine.

Good luck!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

if you are new to riding and racing that 450 will probably beat you to death in terrain like you just experienced at Vernon. A 200 or 250 2 stroke would be easier for you to handle due to the weight and inertia differences. the 2 stroke, however will be alot harder to learn on as they don't have the torque of you 450 which makes general learning easier I'm sure. there are definatlely two different riding styles required. if you went to a 250 four stroke you will save in weight but lose in the torque you are accustom to.

it's kind of a real catch 22 for you. maybe if you kow people who are willing to trade for a day that own 200 or 250 stroke that might give you some direction with your issue. I'm not sure, but I think the new 350's also are lighter than the 450, and will give you less of the heavier inertia feeling too?? Maybe some 4T folks will chime in too

good luck

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Here's a question. You mention 09 450 exc with turn signals. So is that the dual sport version?? If so did you change the gearing for offroad. If not....you are probably using a lot of clutch?? Heating the bike up. Causing the fan to run constantly. It's a big bike and needs to keep moving.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I rode a 250f for couple of years only came close to boiling it over twice. I also have a 450f and have boiled it over more times than I want to count. The 450f is alot of bike and the 250f properly tunned can hang with the 450's in most situations. I was a dedicated 4t guy but switched to 2t and don't plan to go back. :thumbsup:
#Z3B

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Some really good points here. With the correct gearing and a fan that bike should never overheat. I'd recommend gearing it at 13/50 and you could look at 13/52, but this would be terrible on road.

Are you stalling often and using the happy button to restart? Keeping the bike running should solve your dead battery problems as the stator on your bike has plenty of juice. Lastly, disconnect or turn your headlight off.

As for a new bike I second everything the others have said. 2 strokes demand a different riding style than 4 strokes. 250f's are great bikes and probably the easiest bikes to learn on and grow your skills. I feel 350's are the best 4 strokes, but you learn quicker on 250f's as they are not as forgiving. The best is to try different bikes. The best riders have the ability to ride anything well.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i agree, the fan running constant should have no effect on the battery. i ran my fan constant (hard wired it) on my 09 Berg 450.
Gearing, i would not even bother thinking road stuff and gear it 13/52 as Scott suggested. My Berg 450 is geared that way and the other day my speedo read 130km/hr wfo.
Make sure the headlight/tail light, etc are all turned off when riding offroad.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I ride a Husaberg 570 and my fan comes on a LOT, due to me being a slowpoke. Even a 30 degree day in ugly terrain didn't bring the steam. I think gearing should really help you I run 13/52.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

I run my fan through an on\off switch (No temperature snesor) and only use it when I know it needs it. :excuse:

Maybe try that.

:cheers:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just finished changing the gearing on the 450 and eliminated all excess electrical as this is a cheaper fix than a new bike. Looks like I'm going to give the CEC in Crowsnest a shot this weekend, I hope I ride better than last weekend as I hear the terrain is tougher than Vernon.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

twitch13 wrote:I hear the terrain is tougher than Vernon.
Correct :smirk: