2012 CEC Vernon

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

2012 CEC Vernon

Post by Zeal »

I just talked to the organizer of the event, and it sounds like this years BC round of the CEC will be epic. Last year at Sun Peaks left much to be desired, but the Vernon crew sounds very organized and motivated to put on a great event

Here are the high level details:

- 48 km transfer section with only 15km of road. The rest is all very well groomed single track. The trail will be suitable for beginner skill levels.
- The Moto test will be a resurrected moto track that people have volunteered to rejuvenate (with spectator viewing)
- The extreme test will be a good challenge to pro level riders, and should have easy outs for beginners (with spectator viewing)
- There is a large flat area for camping right at the race site. For those travelling with trailers, booking an assigned campsite will be available. Contact the club
- The race site is about 20 min from town (elevation is about 4000ft, don't quote me on that though)
- There is a plan to have a secure bike lockup area so that people at the hotels can leave their bikes
- The format will be an enduro format with people leaving on timed minutes (it will NOT be the same format in the Eastern rounds)
- The promoter has secured a promotional rate of $99 per night at the Village Green Hotel, this includes a breakfast.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE, JUST WHAT I GOT FROM THE CONVERSTATION, SO SOME OF THIS MAY NOT BE 100%.

:)
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: 2012 CEC Vernon

Post by steve-o »

Thanks Zeal! Sounds like a gooder. I'm planning on attending.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Thanks for the update Zeal. After last years event I was saddened that the high calibre event had been turned into a low budget gong show. I know the area they plan to use has some nice single track and good elevation to it so I am sure they have a great loop set up.

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

Dobi wrote:Thanks for the update Zeal. After last years event I was saddened that the high calibre event had been turned into a low budget gong show. I know the area they plan to use has some nice single track and good elevation to it so I am sure they have a great loop set up.
Hey Dobi, I'm a newbie racer. Just had my first race at Porkies HS. Low budget gong show, is this race worth the long 6.5 hr drive?

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

When you say "low budget gong show" you're referring to your race budget, bike setup, etc right? You do realize these races are put on by volunteers and rely on sponsors, and we're lucky to have them ?

Just trying to clarify.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

twitch13 wrote:
Dobi wrote:Thanks for the update Zeal. After last years event I was saddened that the high calibre event had been turned into a low budget gong show. I know the area they plan to use has some nice single track and good elevation to it so I am sure they have a great loop set up.
Hey Dobi, I'm a newbie racer. Just had my first race at Porkies HS. Low budget gong show, is this race worth the long 6.5 hr drive?
Vernon is around 5:15 minutes and then maybe another 15-20 to the race site. I expect it will be a fantastic race from what I've heard.

I am curious what made your impression of the porkies Hare Scramble a low budget gong show? And what you were expecting?

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

Twitch13, was it you or the race that was the gong show? :thumbsup: : how many laps did you do? :thinking: :P
Last edited by Dude on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

rocky mountain racer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rocky mountain racer »

Twitch wrote Hey Dobi, I'm a newbie racer. Just had my first race at Porkies HS. Low budget gong show, is this race worth the long 6.5 hr drive?

I am very interested in this comment too. These kind of comments piss me off. i can very easily never put on any more events. :thumbsdown:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

rocky mountain racer wrote:Twitch wrote Hey Dobi, I'm a newbie racer. Just had my first race at Porkies HS. Low budget gong show, is this race worth the long 6.5 hr drive?

I am very interested in this comment too. These kind of comments piss me off. i can very easily never put on any more events. :thumbsdown:
Hey John, don't let the comments of a virgin racer get to you, me and EVERYONE I know LOVE the porkies races you and the lmc crew work so hard to put on :thumbsup:

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Guys, calm down or get pissed off at the veteran racer that has been intimately involved in putting on a race that actually made the comment. Dobi, commented about the issues with the Okanagan CEC last year and twitch was just asking if it was worth making the commitment to go. He was asking for the guy who made the comment for his advice.

And John, please do not stop putting on races as your (and LMC's) efforts are appreciated. Having helped with the RMDRA race the last few years, I know it's alot of work. You guys put on great races.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

Whoa everybody!!! The Porkies Hare Scramble was a great race and totally kicked my butt. Dobi mentioned that the Vernon race was a "low budget gong show" last year and I was asking if it is worth it to go all the way out there. Typically when someone says "gong show" it means a newbie racer like me is going to have a really tough time.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

350scott wrote:Guys, calm down or get pissed off at the veteran racer that has been intimately involved in putting on a race that actually made the comment. Dobi, commented about the issues with the Okanagan CEC last year and twitch was just asking if it was worth making the commitment to go. He was asking for the guy who made the comment for his advice.

And John, please do not stop putting on races as your (and LMC's) efforts are appreciated. Having helped with the RMDRA race the last few years, I know it's alot of work. You guys put on great races.
well okay, dobi I'm mad at you too then :lol:

Scott, gramatically it sounds like twitch called prokies a LBGS (low budget gong show), but to give the benfit of the doubt to twitch my post asked why twitch thought that. there is opportunity to clear it up if this is just an interpretation confusion (which, by the way, I can see it the way you read it too.

soooo....now I am mad at you too scott - butt out!!! :lol: :lol:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

twitch13 wrote:Whoa everybody!!! The Porkies Hare Scramble was a great race and totally kicked my butt. Dobi mentioned that the Vernon race was a "low budget gong show" last year and I was asking if it is worth it to go all the way out there. Typically when someone says "gong show" it means a newbie racer like me is going to have a really tough time.

Hey twitch, thanks for chiming in and clearing this up. And Scott, this hurts me more than you know, to say - sorry, you were right (you must not hear this often!)

Twitch, last year it was at Kamploops not vernon, and from what i heard it was kind of a disaster. from what I know and have heard this year the vernon Motorcycle club is putting in great efforts to put on a good race. the terrain should be great anyway! you should try it.

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

steve-o wrote:
twitch13 wrote:Whoa everybody!!! The Porkies Hare Scramble was a great race and totally kicked my butt. Dobi mentioned that the Vernon race was a "low budget gong show" last year and I was asking if it is worth it to go all the way out there. Typically when someone says "gong show" it means a newbie racer like me is going to have a really tough time.

Hey twitch, thanks for chiming in and clearing this up. And Scott, this hurts me more than you know, to say - sorry, you were right (you must not hear this often!)

Twitch, last year it was at Kamploops not vernon, and from what i heard it was kind of a disaster. from what I know and have heard this year the vernon Motorcycle club is putting in great efforts to put on a good race. the terrain should be great anyway! you should try it.
Sorry about the miscommunication, lesson learned on making sure I better explain what I mean. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give the race in Vernon shot.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

twitch, dont worry, it was very clear in your origional post that your reference was to Dobi's expesion of dismay in-regards to last yrs CEC rounds.... the clowns that put words (ideas) into your mouth have one thing in common.... a distinct lack of basic communication skills in their mother tongue.

FOR THE RECORD.... the sunpeaks rounds were unfourtunate last year.... THE vernon r :) ounds sound like they will be brilliant. I think the drive will be well worth your time. so will the alberta rounds.

Also for the record.. the Porkies H/S was a LBPB (Low Budget Piece of Brilliance) John and gang wound that very narrow tightrope between something that was doable in the conditions, sustainable, and still fun. That takes skill, great job.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS