sound test porkies

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

sound test porkies

Post by primerib72 »

I looked at the sticky above but wanted to get everyone's attention for my situation. I tested 118db :crazy: at riviere's last week and looking for input on the best sound dampening for a repack. I bought some fluffy pink stuff from cycle works and was wondering if there is a better product?

I am running the stock silencer which is supposed to be quiet and I changed my pipe back over to stock which I am hoping will be quieter than the DEP I had on. I pulled the original packing out and it was oil soaked from trial and error jetting.
CR250R

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: sound test porkies

Post by dirtyboy »

The pink stringy stuff is supposed to be best. I have found that it needs to be un-wrapped from the package and you will end up with a loose rope of pink stuff that fits in one hand and is 10 or more feet long. Wrap that around the muffler core (after wire brushing the core) moderately loose and when complete use a bit of masking tape to hold together and cut off the extra material.

If you wrap it too tight it will be loud just like when it is oil soaked. The technique above allows the packing to slide into the canister much easier as well. :thumbsup:

And a dab of silicone to seal up the canister is always good. :D

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I was going to post earlier in the week to find out which packing was better. Just did mine with the standard white stuff, and I've got my fingers crossed for the sound test. Two fails = no race? My packing was in poor shape, so I should test better. The sound test this year is tougher. To me, the sound of bikes banging off the rev limiter in neutral is finger nails on a chalkboard x 10. :crazy:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I hate to do this, but I disagree with DB....

The best 4 stroke packing I ever ran was the FMF racer stuff. It comes as a sandwich of steel wools, and layers. You cut it to size, you wrap it around, tape it up and be done. It is expensive, but lasts longer and in my opinion was quiter than the pink wool.

I do agree with the use of high temp gasket, and a wash plug when spraying H20 at the bike.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

dirtyboy wrote:The pink stringy stuff is supposed to be best. I have found that it needs to be un-wrapped from the package and you will end up with a loose rope of pink stuff that fits in one hand and is 10 or more feet long. Wrap that around the muffler core (after wire brushing the core) moderately loose and when complete use a bit of masking tape to hold together and cut off the extra material.

If you wrap it too tight it will be loud just like when it is oil soaked. The technique above allows the packing to slide into the canister much easier as well. :thumbsup:

And a dab of silicone to seal up the canister is always good. :D
Thanks fellas. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try both. Does anyone have a db reader handy I can borrow?

BTW Dobi, I am running a 2-smoke but does the 4-stroke packing work good for my application?
CR250R

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

sorry, I thought you were still running that big 450. My previous advice still stands in that the white roll on is better than the pink stringy wool.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think that some people wrap the pink stuff too tight and it doesn't work well then. I know that the mufflers come with the wrap around sheeting material when they are new and then they sell the pink stuff for repacking and call it "performance". :confused: Why don't they pack it from the factory with pink stuff if it is so good?

At any rate, new packing sounds good to me. :D

Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Brenan225 »

As the "sound guy" for the ADRA I don't think we are going to stop anyone from racing if they are making an honest effort to meet the sound limit. I'm not sure that we are sound testing at Porkies, it's hard to find a large open flat space once everyone shows up. We did record everyones sound results and we will look for you at future races to see if you can meet the 110db limit. I own the test equipment and you are welcome to use it for your own testing.
Resist, Insist,and Persist

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Brenan225 wrote:As the "sound guy" for the ADRA I don't think we are going to stop anyone from racing if they are making an honest effort to meet the sound limit. I'm not sure that we are sound testing at Porkies, it's hard to find a large open flat space once everyone shows up. We did record everyones sound results and we will look for you at future races to see if you can meet the 110db limit. I own the test equipment and you are welcome to use it for your own testing.
Thanks, I would appreciate that. :thumbsup: I bought the pink stuff and the white as suggested and to me they sound about the same.....it is quieter and I even swapped the DEP and stock pipes around but I feel I am not quite there yet. I took the plunge and ordered a FMF turbinecore 2 which is forrestry legal in hopes to bring down to acceptable levels. Thank god 2-stroke exhaust is so much cheaper compared to 4-stroke......I can buy a pipe and silencer for the price of one 4-stroke silencer.
CR250R

Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Brenan225 »

I should clarify one point Primerib. If you beat me at Porkies this weekend you will continue to fail sound tests and may be disqualified - just kidding - I think - maybe -
Resist, Insist,and Persist