Chronicles of a Racing Beginner.

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Chronicles of a Racing Beginner.

Post by Bark »

Really enjoying these posts. Its nice to know that its hard for everyone, not just me.

I agree that was just plain fun. Hard, yes. But, buckets of fun and a genuine feeling of, "I survived that one!" I like that stuff.

Cheers,
Aaron

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

Brass wrote:It seemed like the course was 80km long but was only 23km, and it took me a bit more than 2 hours placing 6th of 12. I’m confident that the same course would take less than 40 minutes for me to complete in the dry. The pro’s would likely do it in 15-20 minutes!

Just to be clear, this course is awesome. The folks that put the race on have done a fantastic job of flagging and selecting a great course. The condition though were a bit challenging! This is only the 2nd race I’ve done at Porkies and still only my 4th ever but I have to say that if all races were like these, there would be hundreds of riders lined up at the starts. These people know how to do it right and make it fun. A huge thanks to all of them. :nworthy:

Next stop, Vega!
I was right behind you for a while. Not sure where I lost you, but I am glad I wasn't the only one that took two hours to navigate that route. I finished 7th but was fully prepared to see everyone packed up and gone by the time I made it to the check point. I had major issues with that first big rocky hill because I couldn't get a good run at it and spun out four times.

I should have listened to the guy I was talking to at Christie Mine when he said the best thing I could do to improve my Gasser is ditch the garbage Metzler Six Days Extreme tires. I could not get any drive in the mud at all.

Your posts are great reading! Wish that I never smashed into that tree at Riviere's so I could have made the XC on May Long. From what you wrote it sounds like it was a great event!

I am glad there is a big break until Vega. Seems that boiling all of the coolant out of my EC in the mud isn't good for engine longevity! :D
#826A

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Race 5 .. Vega HS

The Vega race was one that I was looking forward to. I had seen helmet cam footage from previous years and it looked like there would be a good bit of sand. This worked for me since I had learned to ride in the sand, and as a kid often would ride my '79 Suzuki DS80 in sand pits. This would be like going back in time only now I’m older, in worse shape, on a faster bike, in a race and on trails I don’t know!

The night before the race we were treated to some truly awesome barrel racing. Not the traditional barrel racing with horses, this was Redneck Dirt Biker Barrel racing! Barrel racing with horsepower!

2 racers would line up and race across an open field of sand, 180 around a post, race back, another 180 around another post, then down one more time and back to the finish. 3 turns in all and the winner moves to the next round.

Sounds easy right! It is, except …. The ruts in the turns get to be a couple feet deep. The sand tries to yank your front wheel to full lock, has no support in a berm so the wheels blow through and you have little traction so you’re throttle is pinned the whole time and you are constantly thinking “Am I jetted rich enough for this?” (you probably aren’t).

I don’t know the secret to winning this event, I was only there to watch (and laugh) but I do know this. For the Vega sand, there are only 2 throttle positions you want to use. Wide open and really wide open while fanning the clutch.
Sign me up for next year! I’ll work on my neck tan!

Post Redneck racing was a nice BBQ prime rib, potatoes baked in butter, some green vegetable stuff and an adult beverage. Camping food is awesome!

Later Anne and I head over the Thrityseven campfire for some entertaining stories and an inside look at what makes 37 the way he is.

For those that don’t know, 37 was the main reason for me wanting to race this year. His efforts last year along with his video log were inspirational! So it’s all his fault!

As is typical for me at these events, I don’t sleep well the night before the race. You’re mind tends to wander back to past races and the mistakes you’ve made. You think of what you’ll do different if you have the same situation. A pointless thing since you can’t possibly have a similar situation, this race is 800 km away from the last one! Get to sleep already!

Morning light pops through the window just shortly after I fall asleep. *@$#% that light is loud! You can’t sleep through it! So the dog goes out and the coffee pot is fired up.

With coffee in hand, I head down to sign up. A few familiar faces and some new ones, all smiling and happy to answer questions. “Rider’s meeting at 10:15 come dressed and ready to ride”.

At the meeting I take note of the details, there is a technical section that takes about 17 seconds to get through cleanly or there is the option of a go around, it takes about 47 seconds to clear. Knowing I can’t pick up and start my bike 3 times in less than 47 seconds, I tell myself to go around.

Other details include a note about a short slippery bridge and another bridge made from a log split down the middle and the 2 halves bolted together, flat side up. The rest sounds like normal trail riding. There will be a parade lap but only the pros and top level guys should do it. The course is about 20 km long and covers a good bit of singletrack and some fast open quad trails.

Sounds fun!

While the pros go out for a parade lap I head out to the clearing where barrel racing was held. I figure I can warm up a bit there and try to work out the arm pump early.

A few rips back and forth through the sand and the 200 is warmed up (and then some). What is that smell ???
Another few rips, eww, what a stench.
Ok, arms are starting to pump up. Back to the trailer. Hmm… the bike is smoking a lot. Maybe that new oil mix is a tad too much?

At the trailer I ask my wife to grab a bottle of water for me. It’s hot and humid already and I don’t want to tap into my camelback. While she’s getting the water I notice my muffler is still smoking a bit. Hmm… now it’s smoking more …… a lot more …… uh oh…… Honey, hurry up with that water…

Something to note, since the last race I have sold my bike and am now on Anne’s bike. Which was jetted for her, a touch rich to keep the power soft. Translation, there’s some spooge in the pipe. Now at 2000 feet less elevation (leaner) and working hard, WFO, in the sand, that spooge has lit in the muffler! No problem, starting the bike and letting it idle smothers it for oxygen and it goes out after a moment. I’ll be repacking that!

The races aren’t going to start until 12:15 so I kill some time by drinking 2 more bottles of water (good and bad to that!) and trying to keep cool. The weather is 26ish and humid. The warm weather seems to be pulling the humidity up out of the sand and holding it in the air. Any activity results in sweat. Work hard and your sweat starts sweating.

It’s finally race time!

We line up as usual, in an unorganized manner. The pros know the routine but us beginners hang back and try to figure it all out. There are 10 of us at the line. Most I’ve seen before at other races and only 2 that still have that new car look. Since these are familiar faces I know who’s going to check out fast and who’ll be holding back. So I work out my strategy, don’t fall!

The pros, intermediate, 30 and 40 riders go, then the lady, (yep just one!) finally it’s down to us.

The starter asks “are you ready?” as his finger points down the line and back. Mentally I go through my check list;
Water, check
Gas, check
sitting on bike, check
fully dressed, check
butterflies in stomach, check
full bladder, check
Ok I’m ready let’s do this thing.

There’s the horn!
The bikes fire up, the clutch drops and before I can react the front wheel reaches up and I scramble to stick to my strategy, don’t fall! In the confusion of dealing with the wheelie I find myself 4th going into the first turn. Up ahead #8 falls over and I’m in 3rd, holy fecal matter! #8 is Travis Sydor and I know he’ll catch up soon. Still I enjoy the position for a few minutes.
Just ahead is #826 (Grimlock) and he’s tuned in to the sandy quad trails. With this being my first ride on the beach material in 20 years I’m not yet feeling comfortable.

20 years ago, it was common for me to be out in the sand of northern Ontario. There were miles of sand pits to play in and sand dunes to ride. But you forget over time. It’s like driving your first car again, yes it feels familiar and you know where everything is but you don’t quite remember all its little quirks.

The bike is running great, suspension is dialed perfect, the weather on the warm side and manageable for now, but I’m not ready for the sand. I should have been out play riding more. The course is laid out on some fast open sandy quad trail. It’s awesome! The corners are highly banked and you can carry a butt load of speed, if you sack up and do it.

Apparently I was just carrying a small coin purse ‘cause I was stuck in 3rd and it wasn’t being rung out. 4th or 5th wide open would have been easy, (that will come in lap 2).

For now I just watch 826 slowly pull away. Then, Travis works past me and I see him get past 826 as well. A few more turns and a four stroke is heard closing in. It’s #5 and I let him slip past dropping me down to 5th place.

Fighting the steering at slow speeds in the sand has made my arms pump up so I glance behind me and not seeing anyone else there, role the throttle back to let my hands relax.
Just then the trail opens up and tracks left but the course is flagged straight in to the trees and I can see a couple riders gunning it back towards me. It’s 826 and another beginner! I’m first into the trees ahead of Grimlock but let him past just a few yards later. I think that moved me back into 4th place.

In the trees now I chase Grant for a while. He’s pushing it and easily able to stay ahead but then gets hung up on a root and I slip past with 2 others in tow. No time to relax the hands yet!

We charge through the trees and roots for a while until we come to a small mud covered bridge, slowly I waddle across and up a small rooty hill. #5 is stuck in the roots and I Billy goat around on his right. Have I mentioned how good this little 200 is! The 2 bikes behind me are breathing down my neck and the effort of holding them off is just making me tense up my hands more so I pull over and let them pass. Back in 5th (I think).
Still in the trees and roots for a few Km. I’m glancing back to see where 826 is. I can hear him but can’t spot him …. yet.

Finally, after a short root covered downhill, there he is. Glancing back a second time causes me to get crossed up on a log and stuck for a moment and I expect to see him roll past but he’s not there. So I scramble to get moving again.

We’re now at the first log bridge, which is made up of 5 small diameter logs bolted together. Luckily they are solid and slope down to a round rock bottom. Despite being wet and a bit slick, the 200 stays up and keeps me off my head. Where is Grimlock? He should be passing me here? I steal a glance back but don’t see him.

Through a short grassy section and then back into the trees, here I meet two juniors. One has his helmet off and is looking a bit overheated. I get a thumbs up so I carry on. Another glance back.

A mud hole is around the corner and a KTM with signal lights is stopped and thinking about a line choice. While he’s thinking, I slide back on the seat, close my eyes and open the throttle. This is going to be ugly on the next lap.

I can hear that GasGas 300 but I can’t see him.

The humidity is starting to climb, so much so that I’m getting soaked. Really soaked. No you don’t understand, I’m standing in a shower soaked……. Wait, it’s not that humid. Sheet, the bit valve on my camelback has been ripped off and all my water is running out the hose, down my chest protector and spraying all over me. I grab a sip and try to fold the hose into the chest protector, knowing it won’t stay there. This will be a long race without water. At least it’s starting to rain. Onward!

Another mud hole. This one looks really bad so I pause for a moment then cautiously try the line just left of center. I’m surprised to find that the mud has a firm bottom with good grip. That was easy, this time.

No sign of 826.

It’s raining hard now and I’m enjoying it. The pace, heat and lack of water had me questioning my ability to finish the race. Now, in the rain, I’m feeling better. The rain will make the roots even more slick but that’s fine with me. Bring it on I can handle this. My goggles are getting smeared up pretty bad though. I’ll keep them on for as long as I can but it may slow me down.

Coming up to a log crossing, I spot a KTM shifter sitting on the trail. Glancing ahead I see a helmet bobbing through the trees. Someone up ahead might be looking for this so I pick it up and ride up.

To my surprise I see Porschev there. I ask if he’s lost his shifter. No is the reply. “You ok?” I ask, not sure why he’s stopped. “yeah, just too hot, have you seen Quintin?” “He’s not too far behind me, I think he got hung up on a log back there.” “You sure you’re ok?” I ask again. “yeah, I’m fine. You go on” he says as he packs the shifter into my pack. I may find its owner further down the trail. I pull away with a final look back just to be sure everything is indeed fine and quickly hit a button on the gps to log the location, just in case. I know there are others coming up behind but still, you worry when you see your friends on stopped on the trail.

Stopping has given Grimlock time to catch up and a few yards after leaving Porschev, I get a glimpse of him coming out of the trees. Doing a double take has caused me to get off my line at a couple logs and I’m snagged. He’ll be on my rear fender in a second.

Just as I get to the river crossing with the split log bridge, he’s there. A rider is in the water with a drowned out bike. He’s ok and says he doesn’t need help. A glance at the bridge is all that’s needed to confirm that its slick and will put you down if you aren’t careful. I line up my bike to walk/push it across the bridge. Grant says he’ll be right there behind me. Together we get across without any drama.

The trail off the bridge leads to the left then up a short rooted out slope with a rider off his bike to the right. As I get on the gas to make the climb the bike steps out on a root and I go down. A glance back and I see Grant coming and try to get out of his way but can’t get my bike up off the trail quick enough and he gets snagged also.

After a quick shove up the hill, I slowly roll on expecting Grant to slide past. A couple hundred yards later, he still isn’t there. Now I’m pulled up to a short slick hill with 2 riders at the base, the only lady racer for the day and a Suzuki, #111 who I thought was a junior but was in fact in my class also. They both wave me through and the Billy goat climbs up.

It’s still raining and my goggles are useless so they’ve been flipped off. Now ridding without eye protection, I slow down, a lot! Back in my days as a welder, I’d had a lot of stuff get in my eyes and it always hurt, so I’m careful here now. Despite being able to see better, going slow is the what I’ll be doing from here out, that and riding with my mouth open to catch as much rain as I can, I’m getting dehydrated and cramping.

For the past few KM I had been wondering when the pros would be coming around to lap me, now I have my answer as I glance back and see Jason Schrage coming up fast. I’m in a turn and try to push left but there isn’t enough room for him to get past on the trail but that doesn’t slow him down. He blasts through some brush and is gone, but not without saying “thank you”. So polite!

Being passed by Jason, I noticed how much he steers his bike with the throttle, either to slide it around a turn or to stand it up coming out. Interesting to watch and a great learning opportunity, if only he wasn’t so darn fast I’d watch longer. Still, not wanting to waste an opportunity, I try to follow his tire tracks as best as I can to learn the “pro line” and work on my wheel placement. It doesn’t take me long to realize that speed is a factor for using the same line. Still, the effort is made.

Ahead the trail opens up and gets fast, being that I don’t have goggles I don’t push hard but the wider trail means there are less branches sticking out so I nudge the throttle a bit. Still following Jason’s line, the pace picks up. Another item I notice when approaching an 8” log that is across the trail at an angle is that his tire tracks leave the ground before the log. Hmmm ….

Rolling on down the course the track opens wide and it’s easy to click up through the gears. Knowing that everyone behind me will be doing the same, I can’t be too cheap with the throttle. Just as I think it and roll on the gas, a glob of sand is tossed up by the front tire and I get an eye full. Now I’m dead slow and can hear a bike coming. Pulling over and almost at a stop, #111 goes past. I follow the burry image but have to slow down more as the wind irritates my eye.

After a minute or 2 of furious blinking, the sand is clear and I can see again but another bike is closing. I can’t make out who it is but he’s fast! Screw it, I throw a dinosaur on the fire and try to catch him. The trail is wide and flowing, I last about 17 seconds and he’s way out of sight. At least it helps to set a faster rhythm.

Now in the home stretch coming into the checks, the trail is very wide and fast. I do my best to tuck my visor down and move along but the grit is still flying.

The special test section is just ahead or the go around to the left. I look right and can see 2 riders going in and a third at the mouth, I go left. The go around is easy but longer. Since I’m tired now and everything is wet, the logs in the test section could easily hold me up.

Into the check stop and looking out, I see my wife there with dry gloves and goggles waiting. She’s awesome!

A quick check over the bike, it’s all there, swap gloves and goggles. Drop the GPS in Anne’s hands since I broke one of its mount straps and I’m gone.

I pull out at a modest pace to avoid blasting everyone with sand but once out of the first corner, I sack up, open the tap and start to row through the gears. 5th is too high for the little 200 to carry in the heavy wet sand with my gearing so I keep it to 4th and pinned. These trails are awesome and make you feel like a hero because they are banked so high and you can carry a ton of speed into them.

At this pace it’s only a short time before the open trail ends and leads back into the trees. Someone has dropped a log across the trail that leads left to help people navigate onto the proper track. Not sure why that got my attention, it’s off to the left and I know the course. Funny what you notice even when you should be focused on other things.

The tree roots are now very slick after the rain and racers coming through and giving them a good polish with spinning wheels. To stay up on the bike, I’m shifting from the front to back the back of the bike pretty steady in an effort to get weight either on or off the front wheel when going over wet roots. It’s tiring and I’m sure there must be a better way to ride this stuff (feel free to share your secret if you have one!). Legs are tired and I’m getting cramps from the lack of water. Still I feel comfortable on the trail and push on at a steady pace. Certainly not blistering but steady.

The first small bridge is ahead and off to the side is #111. He’s looking pretty tired but still willing to push on. I pass as he struggles on some roots. As I write this I have to wonder if he knew we were in the same class? I certainly didn’t.

Further up the course riders are scattered here and there. I pass 3 stopped on the top of a small slope, all have their helmets off. Victims to the heat and humidity. I have no water to offer them and can’t be of any further help so I carry on, noting their position on the GPS.

A bit further, a nasty tree root snags me and tries to push the Billy Goat into a tree, just ahead a sweeper is also stuck but he waves me on as I pass. Across the next bridge 2 more sweepers ask about their partner’s location. He’s just 20 yards back I reply.

The Suzuki rider is behind me as I get sideways on a log. Looking back I can see he’s very red and looks tired. I ask if he’s ok and get a wave so I continue for another 10 yards into a mud hole. Here a rider is stuck to the left and every possible line as tracks through it. None look good. I try the middle and stuff the front wheel into a hole. The bike lurches left and I discover my leg needs to be 3 feet longer to be able to reach the bottom. Somehow despite behind up to my waist in the murk, I keep the bike’s airbox up and dry. Fueled by fear of having to dry out a drowned bike I drag the Goat out onto solid ground. A glance back and the Suzuki is still on the other side looking for a clear path. It’s the last time I would see him.

The sun is out in force now and the temperature and humidity are both well above a comfortable level. I’m getting desperate for water so I ride just off the course for a bit, purposely hitting branches as I pass with my mouth open to get even a small bit of water. It works but only just a little.

Arriving at the split log bridge, 2 juniors are pulled off. Both trying to dry out their drowned bikes. A look at the mud covered bridge is enough to convince me to walk across again. This isn’t the time to dunk a bike!

Past the bridge and heading up the rooty slope beyond, there are a couple more riders, they have their helmets off and look like their race is done, 30 yards further and another is off to the side with the same look of defeat. How much longer can I last?
Ahead is a log across the trail at head level, it only takes a moment to duck under and carry on. Just as I stand again for the next corner, a branch hits my eye. The pain is intense and I know there’s still something in there. Carefully I feel around my eye and find the small remains of the tip of the branch. Touching it is painful but it has to come out.

Instinctively the eye is clamped shut but it has to open for the branch to come out. With my right hand I force the eye open and pull the stick out with the left. It’s not much, only about half an inch long and only part of that was in the eye but it hurts, a lot!

With a watery eye, I head on. The first obstacle in my way is a small off camber downhill with some roots mixed in. Normally not a big deal since the elevation change is only about 10 feet but my eye is clamped shut and depth perception isn’t great. The slick roots look a bit further away than they are and I drop the front wheel. An easy recovery but you get the idea of what the rest of the ride will be like, slow!

Cautiously, the Billy goat and I coast along. Sometime stopping to hit a tree, other times just getting a bit wobbly on a root or bit of mud. Finally though the trail opens up again and I know the end isn’t far.

Blinking a bit, I can see through a watery haze. It’s better than riding with an eye closed. The pace isn’t great but I’m moving at least.

A bike is coming in fast, so I pull off and let him by. He must think I’m stopped. Another is shortly behind as I’m coming up to two small logs on the quad trail. Neither has any bark on them and it’s hard to judge their angle. I cleared them on the last lap but this time, the pace is slow and the front just glances off the slick surface. Naturally the bike lands on the pipe side, the log finding a way to tweak the pipe and break the lower portion of the rad guard. The 40b rider slows and I give a thumbs up before he’s gone.

Moving again, the bike rattles and feels terrible. The front wheel is a bit off center but worse the pipe isn’t sealing on the head flange causing the motor to run lean. Glancing down, the FMF Gnarly has gone from bright chrome to golden already. Better shift up and drop the rpm. At least the end isn’t far.

Knowing the trail is mostly open and flowly from here to the check is enough for me to give it one last effort. The Billy goat chugs along happily in 3rd, that’s fast enough for one good eye and a lean running motor.

There are a few wobbles and bobbles along the way but eventually, the special test section comes into sight. I take the easy way and plug along into the check.

Finally done, my wife greats me with a smile and “Good job”. I’m relieved to be done.

Back at the trailer, I pluck a bit of bark out of my eye. There would be more to come up over the next 2 days.

No water, a stick in the eye and a bent bike but this was still a very fun race and worth the drive up. Certainly one worth going back to. The volunteers did a fantastic job of setting up the course and organized a great event. :nworthy:

The results are posted a while later and I’m surprised to find out I placed 3rd. I got lucky!

Next stop, St. Francis.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

I thought I loved riding in sand. We used to head out west of Golden to Kinbasket Lake in May every year and rail the lake bed when the water was low. The sand up there is a little different it seems.

You took off after the second bridge. Never saw you again. I had no idea you had the issues that you did and still rode one Hell of a race. I struggled after that hill after the bridge and never really recovered after that. I was amazed that I finished as good as I did in the end. 111 was just ahead of me for a bit but he cleaned a hill that I bailed on and was gone. That's okay thought. I passed him on the drive back home!

You rode great! On the time end I don't think you were very far behind Jankie or Sydor. I finished an hour behind you! I found this race harder than the mud pit at Porkies. It beat me up bad. Not sure why.

Had a blast at St. Francis though! Looking forward to that installment!
#826A

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

So far my favorite races were Porkies and Vega. Porkies for the fun flow of the trails, yes even in the mud and Vega for the same reason but with the sand element.

Those were truly fun races that I think everyone considering racing should try and they will result in more people attending. Those hard "last man standing" events will drive people away.

St. Francis was hard, it hurt me, it hurt my bike. I don't think I'll ever be back.

Details to come.

rock933
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rock933 »

I liked St Francis I'm not crazy about the mud holes though.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Brass wrote:So far my favorite races were Porkies and Vega. Porkies for the fun flow of the trails, yes even in the mud and Vega for the same reason but with the sand element.

Those were truly fun races that I think everyone considering racing should try and they will result in more people attending. Those hard "last man standing" events will drive people away.

St. Francis was hard, it hurt me, it hurt my bike. I don't think I'll ever be back.

Details to come.
Usually the "hard "Last man standing"" events are really only those that highlight our own deficiencies as riders.... for example I know you will love the terrain and trails on the more dirty moose... its terrain you ride and are good at (more relentless than your average ride tho). There are however many absolutly fantastic riders that will struggle and feel that it was a last man standing type event. For me its Clints tires... they hurt and demoralize me every yr.... I suck at them is the plain truth :thumbsup:
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

thirtyseven wrote: I know you will love .... the more dirty moose... its terrain you ride and are good at (more relentless than your average ride tho)
I might ride that terrain, but i doubt it's stuff that I'm good at!

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I'm hearing you got 3rd Brass? Great Job :thumbsup:

Is that your first Podium?
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Yep, my first 3rd :lol:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Brass wrote:Yep, my first 3rd :lol:
Woooo hoooooo.... put that trophy up HIGH
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

whoo hoo :applause:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Sorry for the delay getting this out, I've been busy.

Race 6, St. Francis

The Bike was perfect. I had set up the suspension with the same settings I had on my ’08. The tires were in good shape, not new but still very useable. The motor was a bit rich and a turn of the air screw would have cured it but it wasn’t enough to worry about.

Race time.
Lined up, I have a new racer to my left and the young Sydor to my right. The guy on my left has never raced XC before but races MX regularly. There’s about 3 inches of slick muck on the ground and a dry hard base below that. I’m about to get roosted.

We were set up at the base of a hill, not very steep but the rain from the night before made it slick. We would drag race up to the first left hand corner and then around an MX track before getting into the single track.

This is a new element for me in this race series. I haven’t “really” jumped a dirt bike in 20 years!

I’ll play it safe.

The “B” riders that left before us had crewed up the soil pretty good. The slop is well churned. Now it’s our turn.

We’re off!

Sydor, on #8 is off the line ahead of me, sitting back on his bike gave him better drive. Part way up the hill, from my right a 450 honda goes past. Then a glob of mud lands on my goggles and I’m riding in the dark. There are some branches at the top of the hill, I aim for them as we get to the top of the hill. The leaves scrub some of the mud and I can see #77 get around me on the outside. I’m 4th heading down the greasy hill leading onto the MX track.

The downhill is shaded and has held a lot of its moisture, the front wheel is loose and there’s no feedback from it. Touching the brakes isn’t wise here. Somehow, I get down the hill without being run over by the rest of the pack behind me.

At the bottom, we make a lazy left on a high berm and there’s the first little jump. Just a low single table. Pretty easy really. Ok, next. Another low single but with a steeper face. This one I have a bit more speed but I’ve forgotten how to read the jump faces and don’t load the suspension. Clearing the lip, the rear kicks up, pushing the front low. Panic rev to pick the front end up but I still land hard on the front. Let’s not do that again.

Another left, followed immediately by another high berm going right, then left again, glance back, another left and down a straight (sorta straight). From here you can see most of the track and the leaders have pulled out a good lead.

Fast right hand turn with a big bank down another straight. There are a few more low tables here, the first goes well. Not landing on the back side but flat on the table. It’s a low jump so it doesn’t hurt, still the suspension hits bottom. The next jump has a steeper face and longer table. It would easily take 4th gear and land smooth but I’m in 2nd and nervous. Again the rear kicks my front tire down and my heart rate hits a high mark. Why hasn’t anyone passed me yet? Another small jump and the front wheel hits the ground early here too. I’m going to end up on my head soon.

Two more lefts and a right and finally 2 riders pass me, a Honda and the Kawasaki MX rider that was next to me at the start. Going into the next straight, they pull a solid lead on me and keep pulling away. This isn’t my game at all.

Right through a tall berm leading down a straight to a big table top. In the air, it feels like the rear wheel is a few feet higher than the front. It was probably only a foot. The front lands hard, then the rear a moment later. The 20 year gap between jumps has me scrambling to try to remember how to ride a track. I’m coming up blank, hopefully I’ll have time to think about it when we hit the woods and don’t wad myself into a ball before getting there.

The next jump I hit the brakes before it and practically roll over it. Lame! Turn left downhill, another left. Long fast left leading to a high berm right 180 into a sand section. Straight, left, right, left, 2 more small tables and then a greasy left again, short straight and another left. Holy crud, my tires are going to be worn out on one side! Off the track now and a sharp right over the grass, careful it’s slick and then into the trees.
Darn this mud on my goggles, I can barely see!
It’s tight and I bounce the bars off 3 trees in the first 75 feet. Rhythm, get your rhythm! Look, a rider ahead, make that 3 and they are stopped going up a slight grade. The trees are too tight to go around so I wait a moment and we’re off again. At the top is the open MX track and the check stop were we’ll be stopping on the next lap. I pass the MX rider here and won’t see him again for the rest of the race. The Honda is ahead of me and I’m itching to catch him. “In the mud” that’s where I’ll get him.

We head through the trees, down some quad track with a deep rut that hooks my toe nearly pulling me off the bike, then into the trees again. I’m easily able to stay with him and looking for a way around. Being on a 450 he has the power advantage on the straighter sections and in the tight trees there isn’t a way around, yet. I’ll find my spot.

A wet slick log is across the trail and he gets stuck for a moment on it. I angle in tighter and get my front wheel over it on his left just as he gets clear and pushes left closing the door on me. No problem, I’ve made my point, I’m going to pass you!!

Onto some quad trails and he’s able to pull a small lead on me, but not much. I’m not letting him get away. With the mud on my goggles it’s hard to see and I have my head turned to the left looking through a clear spot of the goggle to the right. They’ll have to come off soon before I run into something.

Back in the trees and back on his fender. I’m faster than this guy! I just need an opening! Where’s the mud, I know I can pass in the mud.

We’re heading downhill pretty steady now through the trees, there must be a low point and mud here soon. That will be my chance, stay close and be ready for it.

Finally, we get out of the trees, cross a quad trail then back in the trees for 20 feet and a mud hole is in front of us. The Honda pushes left to cross, I pause, glance around for the line and push right and I’m past! Now, go!

After a slow slide through the mud hole, I come out to a bombed out quad track leading left through some firm skeg. It’s slick but keeping to the side, the Billy goat finds solid ground. Right turn, more rutted skeg, another right, straight again and into the trees and a slick collection of logs covering a hole.

Leading onto the log crossing the front washes out wide and I step off to pull the front wheel back on. There’s no tracking here so I just walk the bike across. Getting on the other side, I lose my footing and drop the bike.

Back up and moving, there’s a short straight, then an easy right and I drop the bike on a wet root in the slowest most pathetic way you can possible imagine. I blame the root, but really it was all me. It was sad, I felt shame.

Up again, a bike is coming # 826 Grimlock, there are a few small logs across the trail with a junior stuck on them, he’s off to the right, so I try left but my angle is wrong and without momentum the front slides out and the back spins. I look back and Grimlock is coming up and aiming to get around on the left. He pushes into the bush and downed logs and is hung up. I’m working my bike back to get clear of the junior and out of nowhere a sweeper pops out and tosses the juniors bike up and out of the way. With that bike out, the sweeper turns to Grim to help him with his bike and I give a blast over the logs. Not anything near graceful but I get over them just ahead of Grimlock.

A hundred yards later is another mud hole. This one hasn’t been beat in too much yet and has an easy path just to the right, I go around and try to log it in my mental GPS.

Further in down the trail I’m heading west and just to my left 10 yards away is a 40B rider heading west. I stop for a moment and try to see the line of ribbons. They are sparse but I can make them out, so I’m on course. Is he??

Another few yards and I come to a larger mud hole. A 40B rider is stuck in it and he’s only half way across. Scanning for a good line I see slick slim covered log cording to the right or thick sloppy skeg to the left, there’s water on top of it. Hmmm that seems telling, but of what …. GAS IT!!!

Oh yeah, now I remember! When you see water sitting in a hole, it means it’s deep, don’t go in there. I think I stepped on a dead cow or something at the bottom. Honest, it felt a bit weird! Whatever it was, it didn’t offer much traction to the Billy Goat and smelled really rank. We’re talking fat kid butt crack stank! It was naste! Good motivation to pick the bike up and carry it out!

Ok, now I’m tired, I just dead lifted my bike out of a dead cow hole, carried it across the mud pit of doom and now have to start it with a leg that has an extra 38 lbs of mud on it. The 200 is easy to start but still, a button start will be coming next year!!

Beyond the hole the course opens up to some quad trail and a chance to catch my breath. It’s hot and my goggles are covered in mud and sweat. They have to come off since I can’t see much more than a few feet.

On the quad trail the course ribbons are a bit confusing. For those that don’t know, blue and pink ribbons mark a turn, 3 sets of blue and pink ribbons are used to indicate a high speed turn. That’s what is marking the turns on this quad trail. The only issue is, the 3 sets are spaced so far apart, you can’t always see them as a set. So you see the single blue and pink ribbons, slam on the brakes and look to dive into a turn that isn’t there. After doing that 2-3 times, you become gun shy of any turn marker. Is it a high speed turn and you just can’t see the set or is it a hard turn that leads into the trees right now!? After a few turns and second guesses, the ribbons lead left, back into the trees. At least the course will be easier to follow.

In the trees for a short distance there isn’t much room for handle bars and just before getting into a field, a particularly tight set kick my bars in and I get a gut full of bark busters. It hurts but it’s a good thing I wasn’t standing or they would have hit me lower and taken me out of the race. Yikes!

Blasting across the short field section, the course heads back into the trees again. Slightly down hill and heading east. Hey, 10 yards away to my left, I was just there heading the opposite direction. This must be where I had seen that 40B rider. I’m sure some people will notice and take advantage of that. It must also mean I’m heading down towards more skeg.

Turning and twisting through the trees, the Goat and I pop out in a field and the ribbons lead us to a tree line. If this were a horror movie, it would be dark and raining with the dramatic music building up………. But this is a dirt bike race so there’s none of that. The ribbons just lead into the tree line and mud and sticks and logs and barb wire fencing.

The course in laid out in such a way that you can pick any line you want to try to get through the next 200 yards so long as you stay between the ribbon and the barb wire fence.

Now have you ever seen a TV show called Wipeout? It’s a game show where contestants must make their way down an obstacle course made up of different challenges designed to make them “wipeout”. This is pretty much the same only it was a naturally made course filled with logs, sticks and mud. Lots and lots of thick smelly, putrid mud.

I’ll spare you the details but suffice it to say, during that 200 yards, the mud tried to steal my bike from me. It would grab it and hold on tight. Forcing me to stomp, kick, yell and push my way through while dragging the bike along only to finally jump on it and run for our very lives!!

The young junior rider that I had passed earlier on had caught up to me here and charged in only to be sucked in by the mud and never seen again. My deepest heartfelt condolences go out to his family. No doubt they are still trying to recover his body!

Having escaped the wipeout zone, the goat and I find ourselves in an open field. A nice reprieve and chance to get some fluids back in.

Across the field and into a small grove of trees, the shade is welcome as the temperature climbs. Traction is perfect with good moisture in the soft loamy soil here. A few small branches reach out, one trying to pry me off the bike by the crotch. It very nearly did! Regrouped, and without an exotic piercing I get going again only to get a touch off line and needing to go around a tree to get back on the ribbons.

A sign now says hard way with an arrow left and easy way pointing right. The sun is in my eyes and I can’t spot the obstacle, so I opt for the easy way. Turn out to be a large log crossing that I know I could clear but there is little time savings since you barely have to slow down for the easy route.

Past the log, the course heads up a small mound, two thirds of the way up and ready to gas it, yellow ribbon pops out of the glare from the sun. Hard on the brakes and a lean to the left keeps me from going through the yellow tape and into a foul looking holding pond. That was sneaky!

A blast down the edge of a field followed by a tight right hand turn and past a tree with a sign that says “Having fun yet?” ……. No comment.

In the trees again and I note that I’m angled downhill. This can only mean another mud hole at the bottom. Yep, there it is. It’s not bad, only 3 feet across but there is only one line and the rut is axle deep and points into a tree!?! It snags the goat and I have to lever the bike up onto solid ground. Next a right hand pivot around the tree then sharp left up the short slope to the top. That’s going to get chewed up!

Over the top and now in a field, the course is now on the opposite side of the holding pond. Interestingly someone with a camera has taken up a position that would give him a great shot of someone running into the pond …. Think they could have been expecting that?! I thought so too!

Past the camera man and sweeping right then left and right again into a section labeled “the Willows”. No I’m not making that up. This was in fact my favorite part of the course. I could whip through there knowing that if I mess up and hit something, the bike will just plow through it. So, that’s what I did, 2nd and 3rd on the pipe. When I messed up and I did a lot! I just would just blow through the turn, over a (few) willows and keep going. It wasn’t until the 3rd lap that this technique would cause me to snag my helmet camera on a branch and a darn near rip my head off, twice! Good thing I had a tether on it, the camera, not my head, otherwise I would have lost it.

Out of the willows, across a field and down a short slope in the trees, then…… a hole…… it looks nasty so I aim left to go around in what I hope will be drier firmer ground. I would be wrong. Instead the front wheel is stuffed into a 21” deep hole. I know it was that deep because it hid my entire front wheel. OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT SMELL! It was like a dead skunk was stuffed in a cow’s *** and the cow was at an all you can eat bean burritos night at taco bell, and today is the day after!! Get me out quick before I barf in my helmet! A sweeper pops out like a magical genie and grabs the front strap and yanks it out. I quickly thank him and get moving, to the next turn 15 feet away and another hole.

Here another sweeper is helping someone through and he tells me to keep left and pointing says firmly “DO NOT GO IN THAT HOLE” Umm …. Ok! He looks like he has just been trying to push a house up hill. I carefully go around on the left as instructed and can read the expression on his face. He’s thinking “I’m going to have to push this guy up the hill”. Nope, not the billy goat! Around the mud, turning left up the greasy rutted hill, the goat just climbs!! Pausing at the top I make sure to yell back “thanks”. Those guys worked hard in that hole dragging everyone out. I can only hope they know how much they were appreciated. In fact the next time you see a sweeper, shake his hand and give him a beer! He’s earned it and more!

Still in the trees, there are a couple little turns and then a short stubby uphill with a log across it at a slight angle just at the top. I just spot the log entering the turn at the bottom and put a gear to the goat on the way up. The front wheel clears is and the rear finds enough grip to just get me over. I’ll have to remember that for next time. The face of that log is going to get dug out on the next lap.

Another sign, this one says “Up + Down”. Riding through, the terrain does rise and fall but more noticeable is how tight the trees are to your bars. A few grab hold and try to steer me into the woods. Still a bit sore from the first gut shot, I carefully thread my way along but still punch a few trees until finally out on an open quad trail.

Now I ignore the blue and pink ribbons having figured out the pattern and row through the gears. Whoa!!! A small yellow flag in front of an innocent looking water puddle. Better be careful and go along the edge. Yep, it’s deep! Remember that!

The quad trail leads right but now the ribbons lead left, I follow and head into more tight trees. Many have recent marks from bark busters hitting them. I also take a few bark samples for examination later. In the next 400 yards I stuff my bike 3 times and bounce off countless trees. How is my steering still straight? Right, left, right, down, right and a log is in the way. About 18 inches high, there is a go around but I’m getting angry now. GAS, over the log and clear, just missing a small 3” diameter tree, this time.

Out of the trees and now on a section of quad trail, a sign is posted “Pin it”. A sip of water and the throttle hits the stop. The course is mostly straight here for a few moments before a small downhill and back up then leading to the right and down through a short tree section then opening up again on some more quad trail. This section though is tighter with good berms and tighter brush overhanging the trail. It just feels fast. The little 200 starts to sing, it’s a high pitch but a lovely song.

Suddenly exiting a lazy left, the ribbons drag me right into a few trees that skirt next to the campground. I’m close to the end of the lap. The trees are thin and people are watching, don’t crash here!! I didn’t. I stall the bike instead.

Out of the trees, I’m now on the MX track. Quickly I pull my goggles back on knowing the wheels will be tossing sand and mud in the air. They are covered in mud and hard to see through but still better than nothing.

There was time to think of what I had been doing wrong prior to getting back on the track. The front suspension wasn’t loaded on the face of the jump, allowing the rear to push it down when it came off the lip. This time around I push into the face, getting higher in the air and more importantly, keeping the front wheel up. Well, most of them go that way. One smaller jump kicks me and the front wheel drops way down. Still need to work on that.

Into the last section of trees now and heading to the check. I’m exhausted. The heat is getting to me. Someone at the check says “GO” and I let the clutch out again. Can I last another lap? Guess I’ll find out.

Out of the check, it’s a short downhill then in the trees for a few feet before getting out on the quad track. Having a moment to relax, that’s when it starts to hit me, I’m feeling cold. How can that be? It’s very hot, I’m working pretty hard. Processing it for a moment it occurs to me that it’s a sigh of heat stroke. Better get more water in and fast!

For the next little while I ride a steady but conservative pace. Trying to focus on being smooth in the slop and not exert myself. The results are limited.

Soon enough though, the first mud hole appears and I tense up. Looking back on it now, I know that the trick is to be loose on the bike and let it move around but instinct kicks in and you try to fight it to stay on the chosen path. I’ll need to work on that!

Leading up to the first log “bridge”, the branches that are down on the mud are slick and the Goat slips and I find my feet are down. A quick tug and we’re moving again but the effort of tugging a 200lb bike drains your energy pretty fast. The sweeper stationed there offers to help but I wave him off. He’ll be helping plenty of others and I’m sure doesn’t need the extra workout. The offer is appreciated though.

Around the next corner are the small logs that hung up the Junior, Grimlock and myself on the first lap. “Look past them to the next corner” I tell myself. It doesn’t help. I skid out and have to pull the bike along. I’m feeling drained already!

Now past, the trail zigs and I zag, putting the goat’s number plate hard up against a tree. Good thing I took my headlight off! I’m getting sloppy. Forty feet later, the bike is down again across a wet root.

Pull it together!

The next mud hole I had gone around to the right of on the first lap. Looking at that line now, it’s pretty beat up so I push out left and find solid ground. Good thing too since I’ll need my energy for the next hole. It’s big and bombed out. Even before getting to it, I get hung up on a dug out root. Trying to free it, the Goat lets out a belch of steam. A first, ever and I’m caught off guard by it. Guess I’m not the only one getting tired!

Over the root, the mud hole is still there. I have to clear it, I’m too hot and tired for more lifting and the goat needs air flowing over the rads. A solid tug at the throttle and we’re across, good thing, the slop has that freshly churned bovine fecal matter aroma to it. A turns and the goat hauls me out onto the quad track. Finally a bit of air movement and a chance to cool down.

The quad track is all too short but the bike has had a chance to cool off a bit. For myself, I’m still melting. Hot weather isn’t my thing and I’m starting to hit my wall. It won’t slow me down, I can’t get any slower, I just won’t have a reserve to go faster if needed.

Into the trees for a bit, then across the field and into the darkness of “the tree line”. A quick pause going in to pick out my line and in we go. A bit faster this time because of a better line choice and also because more lines have been carved out. Clearly a lot of people were getting hung up here and needing to make up new lines. A rider is coming in from behind and fast. Glancing back, while picking the bike up after dropping it on a lubed root, I spot him going up the left in what looks to be a clear problem free line, hmmm.

I’m out and in the field, slow to click through the gears as I reach for the drink tube. Down the fence line, right turn, up the other side and back into some widely spaced trees. A rutted turn, then a small corded mud crossing, out through the “easy” log crossing then up the bank and past the holding pond. More field and then past the “Having fun yet” sign.

The trail leads through the trees until it reaches the mud hole at the base of the 15 foot slope. Now the ruts are deeper and the mud thicker. I try to steer the bike around the deepest rut but the angle is wrong and the front wheel slides in, stopping me. A sharp cough to push my testicle back out and a moment to free the bike before then climbing out of the hole and into the next field just as another rider comes up and works his way through before passing me on the way into the willows. Mowing through them just like the lap before. Poor little things didn’t stand a chance.

Thicker trees now and that hole with the stank! Another pause to pick my line and I hit the gas with my weight over the rear. No problems this time. A right turn to the next hole, again keeping left then a sharp right up the hill. A sweeper is there and he looks exhausted.

A twist and a turn then up the short hill with a log going across. Another sweeper is there, red faced and tired. He looks relieved when the goat clears the log and gives me a smile and a thumbs up.

The “up and down” section is next. Here I manage to get through pretty cleanly, only bouncing off 3 trees before coming out onto the next section of quad trail.

Opening up the throttle, I hear a bit of pinging form the motor. It’s hot and the clutch has been working pretty hard in the mud. A little pinging is forgiven but certainly I’ll have to check my jetting after this.

The quad trail ends as I get on the brakes, grab a sip of water and turn in to the trees again. Banging my way along trail until I come to the big log. Being as tired as I am, I should go around, instead I go over it, narrowly missing the small tree just beyond. My luck won’t hold for the next lap.

Now the “pin it” sign. Ok! Down the straight in 5th, then hard on the brakes for the right turn through some trees and then onto more quad track.

The quad track is fun and flows nice but had been slick due to the rain from the night before. Now though it’s drying out nicely and is giving good traction with less chance of tucking the front wheel in the turns. The goat stretches her legs.

The trees close in as the course loops back in by the campsite. The track won’t be far, “get your head ready for it” I tell myself.

The lead out on to the track is a right turn then down a slight hill. It’s shaded and still slick so the slow people like me are careful to twist the grip slowly. I also take this time to raise my mud covered goggles back over my eyes. I may not want to see this!

Out of the first left hand turn, the goat is a bit sluggish responding to the throttle. Heat and humidity have messed up the jetting so she’s slow to respond. I take special note of that since I don’t want to be in the air needing a panic rev to pull the front up and end up stalling out or something.

Coming to the first little jump, I push into the face to load the suspension. Thankfully it responds as intended and lofts the front smoothly into the air. The landing is still short of the target but the form is good.

The next few little jumps help to build my confidence and each one I come to with a bit more throttle. Still slow, but a bit faster than before until finally I get to the big table top. From the jump face to the down side face, the distance is close to 100 feet. The fast guys all easily land on the downside face, I land about 15-20 feet from the face. Yep, 80 feet short, but it’s a win for me since I land, upright. The Billy goat though is getting hammered. Her soft squishy bush suspension bottoms hard on each landing.

Off the track and now into the small woods section before the check, then under the tent to be scanned.
I spot my wife off on the side, cheering me on. She’s awesome for putting up with this and standing out there in the heat and dust.

Through the check, I glance down at my gas level and then head on. Looks like I can get one more lap in. I don’t want to but since I already started moving in that direction, it seems like the thing to do.

This lap, I’m drained and have little energy so I let the bike move around and find its own way. The Billy goat just happily plugs along only asking me to nudge it in the proper direction and feed it a dinosaur or two if there is something in the way. Strangely, the trees are going past faster this lap. The first mud hole appears and I’m past it without any drama. The small yet logs that had me hung up, were cleared with a light twist of the grip. It’s only when I reach the tree line of doom that I get snagged.

At the tree line, I look left for the line that was spotted on the previous lap. A rider had cleared it without any effort at all. Or so it seemed!!

Taking the left line, I’m immediately face to face with a 4 inch diameter log that wants nothing more than to push through my face and out the back of my helmet. No thanks. Dodging that required some one handed riding while shoving the log away and avoiding a tree. Ominus!

Twelve feet later a thicket of brush forces me out to the center and the mud. Sure I could muscle through it and then come back left into the clear line, if I was 20 years younger and didn’t work in an office anymore! But I do work in an office, I am 20 years older and I’m tired, so I’m stuck in the mud.

The heat is building in the motor and it just feels wrong, sure enough, the engine stalls. Great! Kicking the bike is easy, it’s the result that is gross. As the boot comes down on the kick starter, it also comes down into the murky cow pee coloured water with a splash! Keep your mouth closed or you may end up tasting it.

Started again, I pull the bike over a hidden root than snagged me, then another and another. Pulling the bike has drained me so I pull the bike to the right and back onto the line I know. This one just isn’t giving me any love at all.

Out of the tree line for a slow ride into the field to catch my breath and take a long drink of water.

The rest of the lap is uneventful, just costing along and letting the bike go where it wants to. Then one last lap on the track and I’m done!
It was my fastest lap. Apparently I’m quicker when I’m beat up and tired! Obliviously being more familiar with the lines to take and the location of things helps but still letting the bike go and not fight it has helped!

I place 4th in this one and feel pretty good with that since it was such a hot muddy and draining race.

Next stop, the More Dirtier Moose.

Wait a minute ….. my hands haven’t bothered me this race, what did I do different??